Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the shop manual for the steps to replace the turbo and was surprised to see how involved it was. The manual seems to basically show removing the majority of the exhaust to accomplish the removal and installation of the turbo, unless I saw it wrong when glancing at the steps. I'll probably be getting a stage I build from Bryan (trying to remain as close to stock as possible, don't need more power just a healthy reliable turbo). That being said, it should basically be a bolt up job, so what level of difficulty and how many hours when doing this myself? I expected it to be involved, but am hoping it's not a weekend killer. Thanks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
i would say order a pizza and have beer on hand. basic hand tools and a couple of hours set aside. if your a head down and get it done kinda guy it should take about 2 hrs. of course thats considering all the nuts and bolts cooperate and you are good at climbing over an engine the whole time because it's in a shitty spot to spend that much time hunched over. i would consider taking off the hood if i had a spare pair of hands to help with the other side. it will add about 5 minutes to your total time but allow about 135% easier access.

i pulled the hood off my rx8 all the time and it was a HUGE difference. of course it wiehged about 15lbs less than the one on the MS6.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
From what I've seen on the forums, this turbo swap will take considerably longer than 2 hours. Haven't done it personally, but it seems others have run into many problems accessing the bolts, etc.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I hope I'm not out of line by suggesting this, but I'm thinking it would be cool if you documented the process and did a little "how-to" for this... maybe it would give n00bs (like myself) a little better insight as to what's beneath all the shields and hoses and whatnot. But best of luck with the replacement and keep us posted on how it goes!

Reactions: SonicNutrition

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try and document it, but there's no guarantees. It won't be for a month or so though.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I'll also be doing this an a month or two. I'll see if I'm not too lazy to do a how to. I've seen BT how to's around though...it's nearly the same for a K04, you just get to skip out on a couple steps.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Take 8 hours for my BNR stage 2 . It's bolt-on but you need some ajustment on the coolant line, couplers , hot shield , if you want a nice job without leak on the oil ,boost & coolant , take your time . Also i changed all gaskets and studs . This is a very good reliable turbo . No more smoke .

·
Registered
548 Posts
You realize the dealership bills by the hr right? The Toyota dealership tried to say that a brake job was going to take 6 hours on my Tacoma. Never in my life have I taken even close to 6 hours to do a brake job. Dealerships don't bill by what it takes to finish a job, they bill by what a book tells them the job may take. If they do it in 3 hrs they still bill for 7. And the 2 hr quote was an estimate I figured if you had help and just put your head down with no breaks, the pizza was for celebration :)

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
so, what ya'll are saying is it's a 12-14 beer job then....

at least for day one, plus another six pack or so to fix whatever was worked on after first day beer # 9......... :)

Reactions: MicaBlackMS6

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
ive done stock tubos/SST's/and BT's, prob about 6 total and ive done it from about 5-6 hours all the way to about 14. just depends on the problems u have along the way. and a basic set of hand tools is certainly not enough to remove the turbo. plan on having atleast a 200+ piece mechanics tool set to make your life easy.

Reactions: IHeartGroceries

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've never replaced the turbo but I have had the exhaust mani off, the DP off and the turbo bracket loosened.. so I wasn't far off. I would say to set aside at least an afternoon, especially if you're not familiar with what you're doing.

Oh and have fun with those exhaust manifold bolts... they can be a pain to break loose for the first time.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it sounds like the amount of work I estimated from looking at the workshop manual is about right. Might just use buying a new house as an excuse to hold off on the turbo for a bit!

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
ive done stock tubos/SST's/and BT's, prob about 6 total and ive done it from about 5-6 hours all the way to about 14. just depends on the problems u have along the way. and a basic set of hand tools is certainly not enough to remove the turbo. plan on having atleast a 200+ piece mechanics tool set to make your life easy.
Not even a 200 pc set includes a flex head ratchet wrench! Lawl!

Reactions: superskaterxes

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
lol i have 8 different 14mm wrenches JUST for the manifold bolts alone, i kid u not.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Main thing I always say in these threads is a 6point 14mm is essential. I swear sears does not sell wratcheting 6point wrenches at all so I had used a non wratcheting one for the one bold that wanted to strip. I dindnt find it that hard thou but havent pulled the turbo, just the mani.

·
Registered
219 Posts
rookie!!!! LOL when you come down i will show you speed!! i just pulled my 3076 off in a matter of about 50 mins!!!

No but it should take you about 4-6hrs and a key part is having the RIGHT tools!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Experience replacing MS6 turbo?

Bone stock 2006 MS6 with only 32k miles started smoking yesterday. Dealer today confirmed leaking turbo seal and said TSB just tells them what to check, doesn't mean I'll get free turbo (out of warranty by now), so they want $3k to replace. Right!!!! Might call Mazda Corporate tomorrow, but don't expect much help there. Looking for used stock turbo's on Ebay ... found one for $240 but not sure about quality ... sent note to seller asking more details. Don't necessarily want upgrade turbo, though ball bearings would be nice. If I can get stock turbo soon, will try to replace myself over Christmas holidays. That might just buy more time until another leak starts, but can't spend $$$$ now. I'm in Houston. Has anyone done the turbo replacement themselves? Any tips? 15 years ago I could do my Grand National turbo in less than a day. MS6 looks to be more complicated. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts