Mazda 6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If you guys make it work, I'm sure you'll see some buyers. I'm dying to buy turbo for my 6s.....

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I never understood all the fuss about tuning. Unichip can be tune to handle low boost applications .... 6 to 8 psi. They are used on the Mazdaspeed Protege and back in the day they were used on WRX's. The MSProtege guys still used them but the WRX owners have much better choices now, ie Cobb Tuning.

Whats funny is people will spend money to make a turbo kit and take the time getting the parts fitted on the car but won't even try a "possible" tuning solution. I find it funny too that people complain that its too expensive yet they go out and by some $320 taillights that look almost identical to stock. I showed one of my Honda friends the JDM lights and he was like whats the difference. Had to explain the whole "buldge" thing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I never understood all the fuss about tuning. Unichip can be tune to handle low boost applications .... 6 to 8 psi. They are used on the Mazdaspeed Protege and back in the day they were used on WRX's. The MSProtege guys still used them but the WRX owners have much better choices now, ie Cobb Tuning.

Whats funny is people will spend money to make a turbo kit and take the time getting the parts fitted on the car but won't even try a "possible" tuning solution. I find it funny too that people complain that its too expensive yet they go out and by some $320 taillights that look almost identical to stock. I showed one of my Honda friends the JDM lights and he was like whats the difference. Had to explain the whole "buldge" thing.[/b]

...... As if its so easy to just throw out a few grand and *presto!* tuning fix.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I think CaTiRo is wondering why someone would spend close to 5 grand on a custom turbo to find out there is no tuning. Just to take it all out and not even try the Unichip for another 500.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Because its stupid to spend 5k on a turbo that only works up to 5psi. It would be cheaper and easier to trade in for something better. I also don't think Unichip offers the level of control necessary to fully realize the turbo's capability at low boost levels anyway.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I'm sure someone would find it worth it for 300whp. And we should be able to run at least 7 psi, maybe a little more with proper tuning.

I think CaTiRo is wondering why someone would spend close to 5 grand on a custom turbo to find out there is no tuning. Just to take it all out and not even try the Unichip for another 500.[/b]
I'm glad someone understand what I'm talking about. And for FYI, if you search hard enough you can get Unichip for a little over $400 now.

·
Registered
466 Posts
hey so can someone tell me what i would have to do to get tunning , lets say i bought chitown666 turbo kit? Give me some options . and please be more indepth about your answers like the 5 w's

·
Registered
122 Posts
hey so can someone tell me what i would have to do to get tunning , lets say i bought chitown666 turbo kit? Give me some options . and please be more indepth about your answers like the 5 w's[/b]

to my understanding, there is nothing you can do at this point. If you read through some of the turbo threads, it has something to do with the fact that there isn't any tuning that can be done due to not being able to re-program a few lines of code on our ECU's.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
hey so can someone tell me what i would have to do to get tunning , lets say i bought chitown666 turbo kit? Give me some options . and please be more indepth about your answers like the 5 w's[/b]
Nothing you can do to get tuning my friend. Unless you would like to be the next 1 out of 100 people who have already tried doing it, or finding the resources to crack that lame ass ECU of ours. Put it this way, this ain't no RX-7 where you can buy turbo, tune, and have an amazing RWD vehicle. The Mazda 6 is far to complicated. Your best investment right now would be weight reductions, CP-E Mafci, CP-E Headers, and CP-E engine mount. All that could add up to a big price, but in the long run that'll be a better investment becasue it's much safer on your engine. Carbon Fiber hood, lightweight battery tray, lighter tires and rims, carbon fiber trunk, a new exhaust believe it or not, and a good engine bay grounding system should do the job. I could see close to around at least 100-200 pounds coming off the front wheels giving you a quicker accel. Probably could drop a 1/4mile time by close to three quarters of a second, but you would be paying close to 6k for all that and turbo costs around 4k, unless this guy who started the thread can bring justice and peace finally and find tuning, then you'll see people buying turbo for the V6 as well.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Does just the a/f ratios have to be adjusted to safety run low boost, 5-7 psi? The three most cost effective ways to tune n/a so far seems to be

1. CPE Maf Customizer (a/f)
2. Unichip (a/f and timing)
3. Apexi SAFC II (a/f)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Does just the a/f ratios have to be adjusted to safety run low boost, 5-7 psi? The three most cost effective ways to tune n/a so far seems to be

1. CPE Maf Customizer (a/f)
2. Unichip (a/f and timing)
3. Apexi SAFC II (a/f)[/b]
The unichip will work to a degree. From what I understand(if someone knows more please add) that Unichip doesn't have a fuel map for enough rpm points. I think it goes like every 250rpm incremenets whereas CP-E is more like 100 or something like that, so even though you can tune the turbo you won't have fine tuned control that will help make the turbo run more smoothly.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I wonder how the SAFC II would work. I bet more tuners are familiar with the Apexi unit compared to CPE or Unichip. I only heard of one member using it but it was on a n/a application.

·
Registered
364 Posts
doesnt the unichip site say their product can adjust timing.[/b]
Still not a very flexible option. Well it is if you don't mind paying someone to tune it every time you need a change. :sarc:

Guys & Gals,
The main problem that we are having with the ECU is that it is virtually unhackable. What is being done is actually copying the code and converting it to a usable Linux kernel code. http://secure.transtronics.com/EPROM%20Emulator. By copying this code and converting it to useable code then flashing a new Plug and play chip, ECU control is obtainable.[/b]
Interesting idea. This seems to make pretty good sense.
Of course propriety software that Linux has already introduced to the automobile market will have to be used to set peripherals.http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT7679125282.html.[/b]
That's just an OBD reader. Glorified with a GUI. It doesn't really adjust anything on the ECU. I've built a couple of units like that for friends.
If your friends are crackers then you don’t need money to throw around.[/b]
That's a little racist don't you think? lol :laugh:

CP-E 2nd gen MAFci will be out soon with timing controls added as well.So if one company can do it,someone else can with the right motivation,drive and money.[/b]
Yep. It surely can be done. Just takes time & money.

I'm going to guess that this project fell off like the many before it.....

61 - 80 of 94 Posts