Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Turbo Kit In Oz making 210Kw'

Originally posted by Blackbird
That sounds really nice, but OMG that was expensive :) You could get half a 6 for those money :)[/b]
Remember they're talking Aussie dollars. A$9000 is about US$5300 or 4900 Euro's. So that sort of money is about one third the price of an Aussie middle-of-range spec 6 (Classic) and about one quater of the top-of-range(Luxury/Sport).

Still expensive and I wouldn't consider getting one but I'd be very curious to see what the final result is like. Keep us posted Ozzy and thanks for the link to the Fast Fours' forum. They seem to have dropped the Rotary tag. If I remember correctly that mag used to be called Fast Fours & Rotaries. Anyway it probably changed years ago - I don't keep up.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Reading Topic: Turbo Kit In Oz making 210Kw

I don't think I'd want a turbo'd car with only two driving wheels... if you're going to get something fast, then should get something which is likely to not get you killed while going fast :)

Though it would be nice if 0-3000rpm was as fast as 3000-6000rpm...

·
Registered
315 Posts

I don't think I'd want a turbo'd car with only two driving wheels... if you're going to get something fast, then should get something which is likely to not get you killed while going fast
What is inherently dangerous with a high HP FWD car?
The new Dodge Neon SRT4 is a FWD with a 2.4 litre turbo making over 215hp to the wheels in a lightweight NEON. The 6's chassis can handle much more power than even what the V6 puts out.
This car feels as though it could handle at least 260hp and 260 ft. lbs just fine, especially if a LSD were added.
The Accord V6 has 240hp and the 3.5 Altima has 245hp. That Altima has some torque steer but the Accord handles it just fine. The 6 with the 6 has 220hp and doesn't suffer from any real perceptible torque steer. Handling has alwasy been a Mazda hallmark.

Tome

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Could someone convert the power output to horsepower?

210KW->???HP

$5300 is alot. But at that price, I would expect they put a hella lot of R&D into it. This is for the 2.3L right? Do they include an intercooler? I would hope that and a high quality piggyback at the least for that price!

BTW, the T/C for the Duratec Tours is $5000USD right now. That includes and expensize air-water intercooler!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Yeah it comes with a front mount intercooler, but apparently mazda australia isnt too happy about the mods, as the guy stated in the thread

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

No EU has descided that kilowatts is the term of the future. Also heard about it beeing more "true" then BHP. But everyone I know is familiar with the HP system, its directly comparable to watt (like 1.6 miles is 1 kilometer, there is a similar thing for watt > BHP). So I don't know why they have to change evereything.. Damn EU... HP gives ju the exact same mesurement as kW, exept everyone knows how much it is... Grrrr I don't have a clue what 140kw is for exampel... Is it 200 bhp? 120?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

210 kW is 281 HP(SAE). kW*1.341=HP(SAE) or if you are looking for DIN HP then it is kW*1.36=HP(DIN)

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

And what is the difference between DIN and SAE? Are one on the wheels and on on the crank? Or?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

One SAE horse is the ability to lift 33,000 lbs one foot in one minute. One DIN horse is the ability to lift 450000 kg one cm in one minute. For the same power the SAE measurement is thus 98.629% of the metric DIN measurement.

Some countries use DIN (PS,JIS) like Germany, some SAE like the US.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Actually it get more strange in that when the engine is tested the different standards have different specs for what accessories must be attached.

Makes things real easy to compare.:sarc

·
Registered
75 Posts

kw and hp conversions aside, a nice dose of power for the 6 would be a welcome change.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Originally posted by n-spec m6

kw and hp conversions aside, a nice dose of power for the 6 would be a welcome change.[/b]
I would say that 210 kW/281 HP is exactly that!!!!!! Am I seeing things or is that a 100% increase in power? 121 HP/litre is excellent! Very encouraging, I would love to see exact specs, a/f ratios, dyno plots, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

After seeing all the buzz on different websites about what is up and coming for the 6s, I'm inclined to believe that one should be able to get up, if not over 300 hp (sae) at the wheels. Understood it'd cost a pretty penny, but the car is more than able to handle it, assuming either an AWD version come to market or at least an LSD is added. I think it'd be fun wasting a GT Mustang in a 6, anyone else agree ;)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Turbo Kit In Oz making 210Kw'

Damn, you're talking 350 hp at the crank. I don't know of any V-6 FWD that could handle that power. I'm sure it could be done, but I'm willing to bet you'd void your warranty....for starters. :D

I will stand corrected as I believe the rumor is that Toyota will make 330hp with a 3.4 liter V6 in the 2004 Supra. That's rumor though......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts