Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i'm trying to finish up buying the odds and ends on my turbo setup. all i need now is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a downpipe. i think i'm gonna try to fabricate my own downpipe. the problem is i dunno what kind of regulator i need. can anyone help me?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You know, it's things like this that make me realize what a mechanical SpEd student I really am. :(

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
moving....

1st off, are you running a V6 or 4banger?

i don't know about the V6 (though i'm sure the same issue), one our returnless fuel system, there is no adjusting fuel pressure. on the 4banger it's actually part of the pump. so you'd have to add another pump as well as an inline regulator to do what you want. google some returnless fuel upgrades, there's a few threads on honda forums that explain it really well.

downpipe all depends on what turbo you are using as well as manifold. if you can go with an external waistegate (your manifold is made for it) then the downpipe is usually easier to put together, and you can get more fine tuning from the system.

also, where you from, as i might be able to toss out a few shops if you are in this area looking for help.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
i'll answer some of the questions you asked me in the pm here, to help anyone else that might have similar questions.

first off, you mention you are running the T25, but didn't mention what you were doing for a manifold? if you are planning on running as little as 2psi of boost, then i'd recommend capping the internal wastegate and going with an external, as you will see lots of spiking at lower boost with the internal....but that's in the manifold design. you CAN do it with spacing on the actuator, but that little movement can get a bit tricky.

..going with that, setting an external for 2-3psi and then using a boost controller would be your best bet. on stock internals, i would try to keep it below 10psi depending on the gas you have available.

again, answering the question about the fuel pressure regulator....NO OPTIONS. you have to install an inline secondary pump along with a regulator to get the results you want (so you are looking at +/- $600). i'm running upwards of 15psi on pump gas right now and don't have any issues. HiBoost has gotten the Mazda3 up to 528hp without touching the pump...i think you are safe.

...and the last and MOST IMPORTANT point...tuning. i know you said your friend is an excelent tuner, and said you have many options....HE'S WRONG! as of yet, there have been only 2 options that work, 1 works well, and the other gets by.

-A standalone system is a surefire way to make it work and get tuning done. there are a few options like Haltech or Motec, i'm running the Haltech F10x.

-the 1st turbo owner (blaezn) had a tuner get it "working" with the Apexi unit, but it's never been right on. which leads into other "piggybacks". the AEM unit has been installed on a twin setup, but again, not able to work at peak yet. and no one can really get the Greddy unit working well with the Mazda yet (though there is 1 and only 1 running around with it already)

until your friend figures out what kind of tuning he'll be doing, i'd hold off on other purchases. there have been a few owners in the same boat as you, a friend or local shop says they can do it, they get all excited....then we never hear anything else cause there is no tuning for the car. find that out first, then figure out the manifold, then your golden.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
MrTea
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing