Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well everyone, the turbo build has begun for myself. after extensive research and planning, i think we can build a kit that will be a great competitor in the future in terms of reliabilty, longevity, and of course huge power! we will be building a single based turbo setup, which will be tucked up right after the headers. it will have an external wastegate as well. from there it will be piping all the way to the front mount intercooler, where the charge air is cooled and then returned up through the same path a cold air intake would take, passed the bov, the maf, and to the throttle body. there will also be a 4 bolt downpipe made to bolt up to the factory exhaust system, as of now with out the cat. soon we might decide to add a high flow cat for emissions purposes, but for the sake of power, we will be using no cat, as well as a custom exhaust all the way back for no backpressure. be aware that we will be manufacturing this kit and duplicating it for mass production. however, we will not start that until our kit is finished, tuned and dynoed. Tuning, that will be a surprise. we'll let you know when the tuning has finished before we release the specs on that. but pictures of our progess will pop up here and there on this thread. the first pictures should be coming soon, perhaps this weekend, perhaps into next week. i'm not going to be a liar, so i'm not gonna tell you exactly when everything is available and promise things without bcking it up. but i'll give you as much as i have at that point in time. hope everyone is ready for this, and this isn't a bunch of crap either, so honestly there should be a reason for excitement. because this kit will make it to the market. also for assurance, anyone in the chicagoland area...... when the build is finished, probably within two weeks of tweaking and such, people who live in chicago could come by and check it out. i'm not sure if tuning will be finisehd in two weeks, but if you care to come see the setup, your more than welcome to check it out. ask questions, i'll be checking every now and then.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Awesome News!!!...Just wonderful...I don't even have a V6, but I am Excited for you guys!!! :drive:

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
ill be back home in chicago around thanksgiving, i'd like to check it out. youll probably beg me for my 245's once you realize you only have essentially 1 wheel to put that power down with.

you'll need an LSD, man.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Good Luck with the build. I think it might be in your best intrest to start with a CAT and then swap it out for a cat-less system. Lord knows the problems people had with CP-E's headers and the cat's on them. Unless its strictly a race/show car.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
you'll need an LSD, man.
[/b]
That's what I was thinking too. Even with stock V6's, the tires slip pretty easy unless you have REALLY grippy tires. Actually I shot off an email to Quaife the other day but didn't get a response. They do have an LSD for the 3. Downside with a quaife LSD is price. most average around $1200.

Nonetheless, g'luck with it!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey guys. yea i know the lsd is a problem, and having a auto its even a bigger problem because it costs almost 4 grand to get one from cp-e. for the mtx though, someone should try the phantom lsd conversion kit for the 6. i'm pretty sure its available, and at a price that's pretty good. go look it up. anyway, if power is reasonable, the car should be fine as it is. if you know how to control throttle in your car, then you will know how to drive with more power without an lsd. its all about your throttle control and where you decide to give more.

anyway, i gotta go somewhere, i'll be back in like 3 hours to check on the forums. peace

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
phantom slip, you mean.

the phantom really cannot handle high hp applications. but anyway, you wont be pushing more than 6-9 psi for very long before the crankshaft bearing ( is that right) goes, and probably kills your motor.

youll need to upgrade that to the clevite tri-metal bearing, and you shouldnt experience any spun bearings.

someone else who knows which bearing it is, can inform you better than I.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its the rod bearing. and we will probably just run 5psi and 7psi for tuning. and then install trimetal clevite 77 rod bearings for higher hp. we'll see, time will tell

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
question.

first. Who's your hook up. Because doing this alone is very time consuming, and very EXPESNIVE without a hook up.

second. I would be interested if you got this workin for you auto, i have an auto as well AND I WANT A TURBO... Should of just bought a manual ... =/

good luck.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey man, i don't have a hook up, haha. not one actually. i pay premium for everything. i want something that the community can benefit from, and i'm going to build a kit that is top notch.

its professionaly fabricated, tested, and tuned.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
top notch = top notch price?

for instance on my buddies scion TC (lol, i know)
He put a custom ZPI racing stage 3 kit on his car, and lets just say its subs 12 pretty good, hes ran some 11.07's before, and has beat a masserati pretty good. Theres a video around on the net. See but his kit costed him 6 grand plus a crapload of install hours. I mean 6k for a stage 3 kit isnt that bad, but its expensive

what price you lookin at for your turbo?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I think people have a hard time believeing this because you just can't provide the information. Not to thread jack but it seems as though all of a sudden there are many of us trying to get a kit together for the 6s. I can honestly say the following

STS will be providing this kit to the community.

Microtech will be the tuning I am using. It is a full standalone. This can be provided with the kit.

Atomic Motorsports will be doing the fabrication and install. This will happen after the Baja 1000. This is because they have 2 trucks they are working on to get in this race.

Here is a picture of the Hardware I have had in my closet now for a little over a month.

This is the Turbo, Wastegate, and Blow off Valve.

I think if you can provide this to the community...you have a much better chance.

By the way.....i took a picture of the thread we ae looking at :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I think people have a hard time believeing this because you just can't provide the information. Not to thread jack but it seems as though all of a sudden there are many of us trying to get a kit together for the 6s. I can honestly say the following

STS will be providing this kit to the community.

Microtech will be the tuning I am using. It is a full standalone. This can be provided with the kit.

Atomic Motorsports will be doing the fabrication and install. This will happen after the Baja 1000. This is because they have 2 trucks they are working on to get in this race.

Here is a picture of the Hardware I have had in my closet now for a little over a month.

This is the Turbo, Wastegate, and Blow off Valve.

I think if you can provide this to the community...you have a much better chance.

By the way.....i took a picture of the thread we ae looking at :)
[/b]
THATS what i'm talkin about ^^^

i been keepin up with you since the beginning atom44wat...very curious to see the results.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Atomic is a great shop. I'll have to stop by when your car is there and take a peek...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow atom, you've got exactly what i'll be using! thats awesome. garrett t3/t4 and tial bov and wastegate, thats really weird. yea i can tell everyone on here is very skeptical about everything until they get a picture. but see, i could take a picture of a turbo wastegate and bov that came off my nissan z, and say its going on my mazda! whats the difference. if you all want a picture of my aps single turbo from my Z and the bov and wastegate, lol i'll give you it, but it in no way shows that its going on my mazda. so, until my turbo is mounted on the car, there will be no pics. its useless

who wants a picture of a GT30 with a turbosmart wastegate!!! i have on laying in my room, i could tell you its going in my mazda!!! but its not. i have other plans for the mazda.

price should be in the high three thousand dollar range, and that is very reasonable for a v6 turbo kit.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
The funny thing is it does matter. You are worried about people being weary about what you are doing. You have yet to show proof. Look how easy it was for me. Now I understand your point of people saying well ya, it’s a picture of a turbo. But the thing is even if it isn't on the car....it is still proof that there is a product in my possession and I am clearly able to supply the name of the companies I am associated with. Just fill people in so they no what they will be investing their money in. I am not bashing you at all. I feel the easiest thing for the community is to supply a level of customer service they can rely on. I am very confident that I can provide for the forum. I will do everything in my power to try and help.

These are the reasons why I can supply names. People can now do there own research. It allows them to make better judgment of the product as well. I feel very fortunate to have the support of other members on the board and I would like that to continue and grow. If they ask me to supply them with something, I will try my best in return to do so.

This speaks volumes because I have members in other parts of the country going out of their way to help. JP was one of those and I am more than thankful for that! The only way this is going to be successful is if we are all able to help each other and stay informed on product and development.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have a great idea Atom, How about you get your guys to R and D a way to make the turbo cheaper for the 6i.That would be a win, win situation> :p Jk Im glad you guys are working on it though.Keep us posted!

1 - 20 of 207 Posts