Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok first of all i must apologize to everyone here. I been really busy with work and i just haven't had a chance to come check the forums or do my write up so i'm sorry~~

Anyway here it goes. CP-E finally finished all the tweeks they wanted on the downpipe. So i bolted the cat back back onto the down pipe. Now i may be getting different results because i also had my cars reflash done. Yes this means i now have the feared triple combo. CAI, DP, Cat back with the new flash. After starting up the car i noticed the tone had smoothed out a bit. This was to be expected seeing that all the sti guys i know with a dp and catback did the same thing. For the first few hundred miles i took it easy. I too was a little concerned about what MIGHT happen with the triple combo and the reflash. Checking my EGT gauge, everything was nominal. I was sitting around 1380-1420 degree F at normal crusing. My boost has been reading a consistent 17psi peak with a 15 psi settle(No boost creep) After about 200 miles of "normal" driving i started to get on the system. Flooring the car taking EGT temps up to 1490 degree F peak with a stable sitting point of 1380-1400 ish. (1510 is danger zone so the system is safe). Again there was no boost creep. My boost gauge read exactly what it has been reading since i got it on the car.
.....Heres what ya'll been waiting for....
When acclerating the system pushs HARD. I mean WOW. Accleration is very smooth and the car definately pushs me back into my seat. There is a little back fire time to time, but without a tune this is again to be expected. Exhaust tone is nice and deep and very smooth. The car acclerates like a dream. The turbo responds great! The triple combo setup definately redefines the car. The low tone growl of the exhaust in combination with the turbo spool and blow off valve, i've not only broken the necks of bystanders watching, but i break my neck when the car's g force pushs my head against the head rest. According to the AE scan tool i am pulling about .45 G's when acclerating. When I was running stock the car was pulling about .35 G's. (G = G force) I have been driving with the full triple setup for about 2 weeks. The combo of the 3 parts have about 2000 miles on it. I have yet to see any problems at all. The engine temps are all about the same as they were before. Also after the car hits about 4000 rpms, i feel a huge boost. (it almost reminds me of a primitive vtec) After 4000 the car pushs me back into my seat. I can continuously feel the car pull even at higher gears.
Just to make sure these gains weren't just in my head I had my friend with his G35 do a quick run with me.
I ran against his car before and after the turbo back install. We ran a total of 6 runs before and 6 runs after. Same road each time, with the same distance. Both days the atmosphere conditions were similar. The G35 has a titanium cat back exhast system cold air intake plenum spacer and tanabe sustec coilover damper system. The first 6 runs before the turbo back i would beat his car by about half a car length. After the turbo back exhaust i was getting about 3/4 almost a full car length. The G35 was the constant as his car had not changed. The turbo back smooths out everything in the mazdaspeed. From accleration to just straight power its all positives. I am working on taking a video of the exhaust system. Again i just have been swamped with work but i will get that done ASAP. The Sound is beautiful. The Power is great. And even with the Cold Air intake Down Pipe and Catback I have had No issues what-so-ever whether it is street crusing or pounding hard racing and aggressive driving.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
once again, another great review from seoulful. Can't wait to see a full dyno run graph with what you have on there. (and then with the FMIC which I assume you will have first)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm getting wood.

Thanks for the great review! Cannot wait for the Dyno of all three mods together!!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Cool, I can't wait to hear the video clip. I would like to hear a clip of the downpipe with the stock cat back section too, does anyone know if one of those exist?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Cool, I can't wait to hear the video clip. I would like to hear a clip of the downpipe with the stock cat back section too, does anyone know if one of those exist?

Thanks,
Ryan
[/b]
not unless seoulful did it, he is the only one with the downpipe

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks,
Ryan
[/b]
I was going to do a vid for the downpipe with stock exhaust but there really was not a point. The tone of the exhaust deepened just a tad (cant even notice) but other then that it just sounded stock. So i did not even bother with a video. Just listen to a stock exhaust then imagine a tiny bit deeper tone and there ya go ^__^

·
Registered
982 Posts
Thanks for the write up seoulful! By any chance did you drive around with just the DP bolted up? I am interested because I want to know wat the CP-E DP would sound like with a cutout.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Maybe I'm expecting a little much, but am I alone in thinking that 1/4 or 1/2 a car length gain seems a little miniscule even without tuning? I understand your runs were hardly scientific, but is it just response that has really gained from these mods and not so much standing start acceleration?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I was going to do a vid for the downpipe with stock exhaust but there really was not a point. The tone of the exhaust deepened just a tad (cant even notice) but other then that it just sounded stock. So i did not even bother with a video. Just listen to a stock exhaust then imagine a tiny bit deeper tone and there ya go ^__^
[/b]

Thanks seoulful, that is exactly what I wanted to hear!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the write up seoulful! By any chance did you drive around with just the DP bolted up? I am interested because I want to know wat the CP-E DP would sound like with a cutout.
[/b]
Yes i have run the car with only the down pipe. that thing is LOUD! very raspy and airy and its so loud I can;t even hear my BOV. Of course i only did this for fun. Its just like any other car. When you just bolt up headers or a down pipe with no exhaust. Its going to be loud

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yes I was kind of thinking the same thing 1/2 car length to 3/4 length does not seem like much :( .

Maybe you missed a gear or something........................................................................all 6 times you raced :huh: :goon: :D

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Maybe I'm expecting a little much, but am I alone in thinking that 1/4 or 1/2 a car length gain seems a little miniscule even without tuning? I understand your runs were hardly scientific, but is it just response that has really gained from these mods and not so much standing start acceleration?
[/b]
I think there a very few mods that are going to start having your car hawking the cars down the track. I'm just saying that in a 1/4 mile race, It is just exhaust, probably on a system that doesn't need it too badly in the first place.

I could see adding nitrous, or a bigger turbo, or adding a few degrees of timing, or a few psi.

But usually that's what bolt-ons do, u gotta add a bunch of them shits' before they start making a big difference.

Just been my experience.......

·
Registered
201 Posts
[/b]
You said it yourself... those runs are not scientific in the least. A loose comparison at best.

Until he gets real world numbers from a few pulls, all I care about is the butt dyno. In reality isn't the butt dyno the only dyno that REALLY matters? :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[/b]
Ok just to be a little more detailed about these runs. The car length gains i was talking about was at 6th gear full throttle. The gear ratios in our mazdas and the g35 are very different. What i was trying to illustrate was that there was a definate improvement from having just the DP and then having the DP + Catback combo. As far as accleration goes from start i would be up front by a lot then the g35 would catch up a bit then i would pull foward again. The g35 gear ratios are a little longer so up until 5th gear the g35 would shift after i shift. Then in 5th gear where our gears start getting a little longer and the G35 gets shorter i would end up shifting after he shifts. The reason I did the pull tests was just because there was a constant. I knew already how my car responded when rolling with that specific G35. So after i put the turbo back on I just wanted to see if the car was worse or better. Obviously from the test the mazdaspeed responded better then it had before when it was just the DP.

·
Registered
231 Posts
[/b]
+1, If your pulling 1/3 more g force, and the cars really pulls a lot harder, you should be more than 1/2 car length over the previous race. Was it a g35 sedan or coupe, manual or auto?
Also Id imagine your pulling atleast 260-280whp and 300+wtq with all those mods. You should be pulling a lot more than 3/4 car on your buddy.

Are you planning on dyno? Hope so, cant wait.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
well the g35 makes 300 crank hp stock. Least the 2005+ does and weigh 100lbs less then a ms6.

Displacement cu in (cc): 214 (3500)
Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 298(222) / 6400
Torque lb-ft (Nm) at RPM: 260(353) / 4800
Redline at RPM: 7000
weight: 3525lbs

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nevermind, you raced in 6th gear, i see.....
Have you raced him from a stand still? I would be very interested to see how much you gained on him 0-100 or something

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nevermind, you raced in 6th gear, i see.....
Have you raced him from a stand still? I would be very interested to see how much you gained on him 0-100 or something
[/b]
I will try that next time.
as far as the g35 goes. Here is the specs on it
2006 G35 coupe Manual.

Mods
Injen Cai
Plenum Spacer
Full titanium cat back exhaust
Tanabe sustec coilover dampers

so regardless its a pretty strong base with a few bolt ons at this time

1 - 20 of 184 Posts