Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here anything about a turbo kit being avalible for the mazda 6...i heard a rumor that someone is making one for the V6..can anyone confirm this or hear anything about this???i hope this is true V6 turbo say bye bye to those sorry mustangs

·
Registered
514 Posts
Replying to Topic 'turbo 6'

I doubt it would result in a balanced car though.... FWD, plus big torque, minus limited slip differential == terrible grip and poor on-power handling in the turns.

Furthermore, I don't know how one would find room for turbos in the V6 version due to the engine crossmember. it's much easier on a four cylinder engine (which is what the MPS is).

-Alt

·
Registered
514 Posts

Oh yeah, and it would be unnecessarily expensive (two turbos, two downpipes, twin wastegate control, etc). Why wouldn't you just get the 6i and turbo it? It would be significantly easier, cheaper, and the performance would possibly be better (much easier to tune an inline engine than a V engine that isn't designed for positive crankcase pressure).

-Alt

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Just walked out and looked under my hood, WOW, would that be a nightmare to fit. I haven't had a chance to look up from under the car, but there is little to no room. Underhood heat could be a real problem. Just pulling the plugs on my V6 will be fun the first time.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

You don't need a turbo V6 to say bye-bye to Mustangs - the money might be better invested in driving lessons. :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

It will have to wait untill spring for me but I expect that the 6 will respond to a good performance alignment and softer compound summer tires just as well as a Miata.

For those of you who are not familiar with the MX-5/Miata, the #1 and #2 things you do when you get one are a good 4 wheel alignment (about half way between a race setup and factory) and a set of high performance tires. Really makes a difference in the car.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

By alignment, are you speaking of (is it) Lenny's? I previously asked if anyone had adjusted the toe and camber of a '6, and the lack of replies led me to believe no one did.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Something similar but I need to check with a couple of the FWD AutoXers to get a feel for what works front/rear on FWD. I'm looking out the window at about 8" of snow so I don't see the need to experiment right now. :D

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I agree that the turbo for the v6 will be tough, not to mention there is such a thing as to much power in a FWD car. I'm planning on doing the breather mods (CAI, header, exhaust) to get back the power lost through the drive train, but past that I think the car has plently of power. If I can get the WHP to 220 HP and 200 lb/Tq I will be quite happy. I plan on finding some creative ways to do a little weight reduction up front, I want to take about 100 lbs off the front axle. That combo should work quite well.

·
Registered
514 Posts

A lightweight flywheel always helps, and in an FWD car it will have a more pronounced effect than in a RWD car because the percentage of rotational intertia that the flywheel makes up for is greater than in RWD (except maybe in a Bimmer... I still don't know how they get their driveline losses so low).

I can see myself doing header, intake, and cat-back (don't want to mess with high-flow cats on an LEV motor); and perhaps a flywheel when it becomes available and my clutch goes out (hey, with my driving style... :sarc )

-Alt

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Originally posted by Brillo
          I agree that the turbo for the v6 will be tough, not to mention there is such a thing as to much power in a FWD car. I'm planning on doing the breather mods (CAI, header, exhaust) to get back the power lost through the drive train, but past that I think the car has plently of power. If I can get the WHP to 220 HP and 200 lb/Tq I will be quite happy. I plan on finding some creative ways to do a little weight reduction up front, I want to take about 100 lbs off the front axle. That combo should work quite well.[/b]
Brillo, how exactly are you going to get 220WHP and 200 lb ft. of torque with just breather mods. That would equal 0% powertrain loss on the hp side, and negative 4% torque loss! :hoho I think that may be a bit optimistic. Given typical 15-20% powertrain loss for a FWD car, you would have 176-187 whp and 153-163 lb ft stock. With typical C/H/E mods, you're looking at perhaps 180-195 whp and 155-170 lb ft.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Your right, that might be optimistic, however V6 cars tipically respond better to mods, I know of Acura TL's and CL's that have gotten ~30 WHP from a CAI and header, not inlcuding exhaust. I think with breather mods and some chip tuning, getting to car to put out at the wheels what it does at the fly wheel is not to unrealistic, but hey we won't know til we try :)

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Back to the topic at hand.

There's a turbo pretty much at the end of development for the Duratec that is being fitted to the Duratech 2.5L Contours. People are putting 280FWHP on 8PSI out of the 2.5L. There's only one person I know of fitting it to a 3L Duratec and probaby wont be done until the summer. Of course, those Duractecs use different head designs, I don't know about the exhaust manifolds. Plumbing most likely would need to be modified. The company is called Street Flight out of Arizona. It someone is willing to donate a car, I'm sure they would be willing to modify the current kit for the 6.

BTW, you dont need to twin turbo a V6, the Street Flight kit is single and works off the front bank. As far as lag is concerned, considerable R&D went into this kit to ensure the least amount of lag possible. I don't know the designation of the 5 speed or auto tranny, but I suspect soon enough someone will make an LSD for it to descrease the amount of torque steer.

There's never enough horsepower!!!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts

Nice.

There's never enough traction either :)

I'll stick to super-power levels in an RWD or AWD platform myself... but that's just me.

-Alt

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

thank you for that info...coming from an integra with 300whp to a mazda 6 with 176whp i miss the HP...but when you have a family you have to do what you have to do....i'll be looking foward to any type of forced induction they make avalible for the 6....and as for the guy that said get driving lesons to beat a mustang how will driving lessons help me be as fast that a 4.6l v8 mustang????

·
Registered
75 Posts

I still dont see why you guys think 20% for a FWD manual is LOW drivetrain loss. 17-20% is the usual number people aim for with a RWD car. Driving lessons beat a mustang (maaaybe) because in a turn the mustang cant maintain as much speed. Except if its a cobra.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Originally posted by twoquickm6
and as for the guy that said get driving lesons to beat a mustang how will driving lessons help me be as fast that a 4.6l v8 mustang????[/b]
90% of winning a short drag race is the launch. Driving school makes even more of a difference there.

-Alt

·
Registered
468 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

Originally posted by Brillo
          I agree that the turbo for the v6 will be tough, not to mention there is such a thing as to much power in a FWD car. I'm planning on doing the breather mods (CAI, header, exhaust) to get back the power lost through the drive train, but past that I think the car has plently of power. If I can get the WHP to 220 HP and 200 lb/Tq I will be quite happy. I plan on finding some creative ways to do a little weight reduction up front, I want to take about 100 lbs off the front axle. That combo should work quite well.[/b]
Brillo, how exactly are you going to get 220WHP and 200 lb ft. of torque with just breather mods. That would equal 0% powertrain loss on the hp side, and negative 4% torque loss! :hoho I think that may be a bit optimistic. Given typical 15-20% powertrain loss for a FWD car, you would have 176-187 whp and 153-163 lb ft stock. With typical C/H/E mods, you're looking at perhaps 180-195 whp and 155-170 lb ft. [/b][/quote]

to your calculations it's quite on par. my dyno of my 6 led to 174.9 whp and 169.4 i think 30 whp is atainable thru intake/headers/exhaust. 220 whp may be a tad much thru bolt ons. i'd like to be at 205-210 whp

torque moves this car nice in the low and mid power band. but i miss the high end HP pull of my honda. If hp can be bumped up alil bit for top end and torque can be decent i'd be happy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts