Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mazda is replacing my rear mount (again) along with some other stuff...

And i'm seriously considering upgrading to this (Gonna cost me about 150 after they pay the price = stock mount). However it doesn't seem like a common upgrade or something I can dig much information up on. Is it worth 300 bucks? Does it actually WORK?

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
There are a ton of threads on this. >.> I don't know how you were searching that you didn't find anything.

Basically, the most important mount is probably the other one, which can be replaced by the SU mount or the CPE mount. The TT mount combats a different force and is also probably a good idea to have.

I have both the TT rear diff mount and the SU mount.

In my opinion they're both worth it. And they certainly do work. Unless you're putting down over 800hp you won't break these mounts (and you'll break many other things before then). Spending the $500 or whatever it is on both mounts is cheaper then spending thousands on getting the rear diff replaced.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have this mount installed and it is definitely worth the money. It really solidifies the diff.

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
First post here, but I've been reading this forum for a long time...

I have this mount and the TT bushings for the stock rear mount. They were installed over a year ago (car had ~15,000 km). To me these parts were definitely worth the money and I'm no longer afraid of launching the car. I will probably pick up the TT front engine mount in the near future.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I would look into replacing those bushings with a proper mount. When I did that on my car after a mere couple thousand miles the bushings were beginning to fall apart.

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
QUOTE (smoker6 @ Jan 6 2010, 11:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1627666
I would look into replacing those bushings with a proper mount. When I did that on my car after a mere couple thousand miles the bushings were beginning to fall apart.[/b]
Thanks - I'll take a look at mine next week to see their condition.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
QUOTE (triplejumper18 @ Jan 6 2010, 12:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1627675
The bushings aren't the problem, the stock mount AND the stock bushings are the problem.[/b]
Well this really. It's the stock mount's fault that the bushings take such a beating. Point being the bushings will not suffice long term.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've been looking at the TT mount for a long time too, and my practical side wants to beef up the diff as much as possible, but I'd still like to know if you had to choose one - either the TT mount or the SU/CPE mount... which would it be?

It seems like the SU/CPE will help to strengthen things and get rid of a part prone to breaking, but may not have as much of an impact on the feel of the car, and the TT will lock the diff down tighter and improve the feel while also relieving a lot of the stress on the stock piece at the same time, making it safer. But I may be way off on this. Any corrections or clarifications would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
QUOTE (OJ Bartley @ Jan 6 2010, 01:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1627758
I've been looking at the TT mount for a long time too, and my practical side wants to beef up the diff as much as possible, but I'd still like to know if you had to choose one - either the TT mount or the SU/CPE mount... which would it be?

It seems like the SU/CPE will help to strengthen things and get rid of a part prone to breaking, but may not have as much of an impact on the feel of the car, and the TT will lock the diff down tighter and improve the feel while also relieving a lot of the stress on the stock piece at the same time, making it safer. But I may be way off on this. Any corrections or clarifications would be appreciated.[/b]
Lets put it this way, a guy busted his rear diff mount three times and the third time the dealer got him a good price on the CPE rear diff mount and he hasn't been back since.

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
I wonder if anyone with just the TT front diff mount busted their stock rearward diff mount. I got the TT mount and bushings before SU and CPE had theirs available. I don't beat on my car a lot, so I'll probably be alright. I just wish I had the skills and tools to do this kind of suspension work myself and not have to worry about labor costs.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I only have the TT mount and the other mount is completely stock. Knock on wood, but I'm at 75,000 miles and I have probably made over 150 autocross during that time in addition to daily driving. The reason I liked the TT mount so much is it not only beefed up the mount, but added mounting points. These additional mounting points prevent the twisting that I think the diff undergoes with the stock mount as it gets a sudden load during rapid acceleration. I think during both would be best obviously, but if you only do the SU/CPE mount, I could still see how the front mount could still break because of the torquing forces on it. Just my $0.02, and I don't disagree with the other opinions expressed here. Either of the choices is way better than stock!

I'll have to check when I installed the TT mount, but I'm guessing about 30,000 miles ago or so. Maybe more.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hard choices.... I've ordered the rear (top) mount and a rear engine mount... All 3 shops i've talked to said the rear diff mount was the best and most important to replace.

I believe between the upgraded rear diff mount + bushings and upgraded rear engine mount... The amount of movement on the rear diff will be reduced significantly. The rear engine mount adds vibration which sucks because I already have additional vibration from the CAI + FMIC + Turbo Back Exhaust... I really do miss the nearly silent almost perfectly smooth ride I had back when it was stock....

And all my mods have caused a lot of tuning trouble and honestly I don't believe the performance increase has been all that much...

ANYWAY I still love working on cars so its an expencive hobby and no one buys a MS6 if they are looking to break records and win races... its all in good fun (Unless those records are heaviest fucking car with wasted space to go fast)....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks triplejumper.

MWSpeed6 and Chucky12, did you notice a big difference in feel after instaling the TT?

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
QUOTE (OJ Bartley @ Jan 7 2010, 01:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1627997
MWSpeed6 and Chucky12, did you notice a big difference in feel after instaling the TT?[/b]
To me it feels like power transfer is more direct, but I'm pretty sure that's due to the harder bushings I have on both mounts. You can feel the difference when you drive in 3rd gear, for example, and blip the throttle a couple of times. If I were to upgrade mounts today, I would probably upgrade both front and rear for peace of mind.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The TT diff mount doesn't increase NVH inside the car at all. I want to say it feels more solid under acceleration, but it could just be a placebo effect.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Dane, that's the TT compared to the stock mount, right? I hadn't seen them compared directly before, no wonder it's a lot more secure. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
841 Posts
correct, your welcome.
the TT has those 3 bolts that go around where the stock doesnt. i found that interesting when i was installing so i took pics.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
QUOTE (dane145 @ Jan 7 2010, 01:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1628039
correct, your welcome.
the TT has those 3 bolts that go around where the stock doesnt. i found that interesting when i was installing so i took pics.[/b]
Did you paint yours black or did it come from TT that way? I bought mine in the original group buy, together with the TT front eng mount, when TT first released the mounts. Ours came with some kind of zinc plating that made it look rough and unfinished. Mine is still sitting in a box waiting to get installed, along with the SU rear mount and a RSB. Almost two years of dust to clean off.

I did install the TT front engine mount in May of '08 a few weeks after I got the package. That is a nice piece of work but it was a bit of a pain to install. I hope I never have to remove it. :)

Didn't really increase low frequency vibrations, in the sense of ones you feel in the SOTP, but did notice more transference of engine sounds and higher pitched vibrations, if that makes sense. These seem to have subsided a bit now, after 15k miles (I don't put a lot of mileage on my car). Maybe due to the poly bushing softening up a bit? FYI I'm also running the SU rear motor mount. Rest of the mounts are stock.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts