Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually fought 20 mins of traffic yesterday to check the TSX out at my closest dealership, I was strongly considering the car when I was looking around at new cars. I sat and played with both the auto and manual versions, I didn’t have a chance to drive it.
I told the sales people flat out I had just bought a M6 and was just kinda curios, they actually spent more time asking me about my car :) Up close and in person I find the design to be some what stubby and mis-proportioned. I can kinda see that they were aiming at the passat/a4 in the way of aesthetics, but the design just doesn’t gel. The rather square back end looks funny, and while the front isn’t bad, the angles don’t work for me. It not bad looking, I just think the M6 looks better. As for the interior, I have to say Honda never sees to amaze me. The leather had a great supple almost Mercedes feel to it, the interior materials were very high quality and the color scheme was well thought out. I had plenty of head room even with the sunroof, unlike the RSX. I like the feel of the control as you move them, although I didn’t like the shifter in the manual, it felt good in the way of shifting, but the stock knob is to small, it just doesn’t feel right. The build quality was also first rate, paint finish, body panels, sound of the door, the car is as solid as a battleship anchor. The engine compartment is well laid out, a decent amount of room in there should make aftermarket additions fairly easy. The back seat was a little tight behind the drivers seat, the M6 has more leg room. Same stock shit tires as the RSX and M6, those damn Michelins MXV4 just seem to appear everywhere. The TSX has a good 8 speaker Bose package, while I’m not a Bose fan this one is a little better than the M6 system in the way of bass response.
Overall, it’s a good car, but I’m glad I got my M6.

Performance: ? M6, Didn’t drive it, but my V6 should out run it all day long
Exterior Aesthetics – M6 wins in my book, but this is totally subjective.
Interior Aesthetics – TSX, for the price, its amazing, Audi level
Build Quality – Almost a tie, but I have to give a slight nod to the TSX
Sound system – TSX, There Bose beats our Bose, better base response
Value – as FWD goes, the M6 can’t be beat

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Reading Topic: TSX Review

I've got a tentative(if they don't sell it first) test drive of the TSX scheduled for tomorrow at 1:00pm. I'll write up my impressions tomorrow night.

·
Registered
48 Posts

I was also thinking about this car, but i decided against it once I heard the price of the car. I am not going to pay 27,000 for a car that is a v4. Also, the car is a an accord, euro and japan....why would I pay 27 for this car, when I can get a fully loaded v6 accord (w/ navi) for 26,500..... They are really cutting themselves out with car....

I guess that is why I am getting the M6V6. The TSX looks nice, but not worth the xtra $.....especially since I can get the M6 on the s-plan. I was really disappointed b.c I thought honda/accura would have priced the car more reasonably.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Replying to Topic 'TSX Review'

Originally posted by saidin

...why would I pay 27 for this car, when I can get a fully loaded v6 accord (w/ navi) for 26,500.....[/b]
TSX comes standard with these features that the Accord doesn't even have as options.

-VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist)
-TCS (Traction Control)
-HID's
-Stiffer suspension (even stiffer than the European Accord Type-S)
-Longer Warranty period and mileage
-360 Watt, 8 speaker Stereo system
-Acura Service

Plus, only the Accord coupe comes with an MT. And that thing is selling for a premium.

·
Registered
432 Posts

OK, heres another review to go with Brillo's. I actually drove the car (for almost an hour, at that) so I can give a good back to back impression with the 6s.

I drove a manual without NAV, so it stickered at $26,9. First off, I have to say to my eyes this car looks a lot better in person than in pics. I was lucky enough to get to park my car right next to it in front of the dealership. I still havent replaced my digi cam that I busted a few weeks ago, so unfortunately I couldnt take any side by side pics :(
While the TSX doesnt look bad from the front, I think our car looks sleeker. Also, it doesnt look as much like a 6 in person as in pics, to me.

Fire it up and it purrs to life. Its almost silent at idle, and isnt even loud when you floor the pedal. Immediately at take off, I knew without a doubt that the 6s is faster. The TSX is smoother at all rev ranges though and is also quieter. Im sure with a sky-high clutch dump you MAY be able to get it to 60 in around 7 seconds. Maybe it will loosen up with more miles, but it just doesnt feel fast at all. Who knows, it may even be that the engine is so quiet, it lessens the sensation of speed.

Handling is a toss up. The TSX handled great, but then so does the 6. I couldnt really tell a difference when tearing up different corners. It does everything the 6 will do, BUT, the 6 definitely has it beat in ride quality. The T has this choppiness thats hard to describe. Its like that even on smooth roads. I was really surprised by it, since all the reviews make it sound like its luxury car smooth. Its not even close though.

Braking was pretty good (actually got to test the ABS in a panic stop) but again, I give the nod to the 6. The T has strong brakes, but Im guessing it will have long distances like other Acura/Hondas.

Interior styling is where the two really part ways. The T has a classy looking, high-quality feeling interior thats really good to look at. It has more buttons on the dash for the ACC and radio, so it takes more time to get used to things. Everything feels higher than in the 6, which as we know has a more cockpit style layout. It feels narrower inside also, and the backseat seemed smaller to me (havent researched the exact measurements). Its got some nice touches inside, like blue ambient lighting, blu-ish electro-gauges like the Accord's, auto-up/down window, real-looking metallic trim on the dash/steering wheel controls, turn signals mounted in the rearview mirror, etc etc. Basically, it feels very European inside.

Honestly, based on the driving experience, I dont think I would have bought one if it had been here when I bought my 6s. The emotional side of me likes the excitement of the 6. The practical side of me (which is almost non-existent) would have probably spent the extra $1300 or so, and bought the T. It just seems to offer more for the money, though not quite as fun to drive as the 6.

·
Registered
736 Posts

The one comment made on those boards that did me in and made me put all my faith in the 6 is this one: "The TSX looks great but the front looks exactly like the TL so people on the street aren't going to all be like "That's a new Acura!" Kind of disappointing really." So that's not an exact quote but I like unique products. Mazda6 hatchback, 8 more months and you will be mind! :D

·
Registered
262 Posts

Originally posted by Gecko_2k2

The one comment made on those boards that did me in and made me put all my faith in the 6 is this one: "The TSX looks great but the front looks exactly like the TL so people on the street aren't going to all be like "That's a new Acura!" Kind of disappointing really." So that's not an exact quote but I like unique products. Mazda6 hatchback, 8 more months and you will be mind! :D[/b]
Way to think Gecko_2k2!! Just 8 more excruciating (yet managable) months for the hatch... I can't wait!!

·
Registered
174 Posts

Originally posted by Gecko_2k2

The one comment made on those boards that did me in and made me put all my faith in the 6 is this one: "The TSX looks great but the front looks exactly like the TL so people on the street aren't going to all be like "That's a new Acura!" Kind of disappointing really." So that's not an exact quote but I like unique products. Mazda6 hatchback, 8 more months and you will be mind! :D[/b]
You could say the same thing about the 6 hatch. From the front people will just think it's the 6 sedan. :p

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Test drove the TSX today.

What impressed me the most was how smooth and refined this car was.

The shifter is sooo smooth. Some may think it too smooth. The clutch is feather weight, which is great if you have to deal with traffic. The engine was very quiet for a high revving i4.

The interior was great. Some people like sporty interiors, some people like luxo interiors, if you’re in the latter group you will like the TSX’s interior. Very Audi like. The leather seats where very soft and thick, but still supportive. The feel of the buttons and knobs is pretty much Audi. I don’t care what other cars Acura says it was targeting besides Audi, cause it’s pretty obvious that Audi was THE target. So basically if you like the A4 you’ll probably like this car.

The performance was good. It pulled pretty well…you pick up speed without really feeling it. It felt more like a small v6 than an i4. It won’t be beating the 6s in any races though. Handling was very good for what I put it through. I didn’t over do it with the salesperson in the car though.

All in all I was very impressed.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

So I went to go see the TSX today too... Just went to look at it though. It was their only car and it was on the showroom. I drove up in the '6 and salesman approaches right away, tell him I just came to look and ended up looking at the car for a good 10 minutes without being bothered. You would be amazed at how many similarities there are between these 2 cars...

Anyways.. I asked him what he thought of it and he agreed that it became of his most favorite cars.. THEN.. he says that I had a nice car, but Mazda copied their car FROM Acura... I mean.. Needless to say I fell flat on the floor. After I picked myself up I walked out :)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Originally posted by Absolut

..Needless to say I fell flat on the floor.  After I picked myself up I walked out..[/b]
...then got in my 6 and drove it through the showroom window...

·
Registered
980 Posts

Originally posted by Absolut
Anyways.. I asked him what he thought of it and he agreed that it became of his most favorite cars.. THEN.. he says that I had a nice car, but Mazda copied their car FROM Acura... I mean.. Needless to say I fell flat on the floor.  After I picked myself up I walked out :)[/b]
:D :D :D :D
I can't believe he actually said that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts