Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/

I was browsing the list of TSBs put out by manufacturers just to see what kinda of issues and was a bit surprised by the results.

Here's what I found, total TSBs for a particular model.

2004 Acura TL 68
2004 Acura RSX 22
2004 Acura TSX 26
2004 Honda Accord 165
2004 HOnda Civic 107
2004 Mazda 6 40
2004 Mazda 3 70
2004 Nissan Altima 19
2004 Toyota Camry 45
2004 Toyota Corolla 17
2004 Subaru Imprezza 8
2004 Subaru Legacy 7

First thing that surprised me was the large number of TSBs for the Honda Accord and Civic. Now I know these cars have a reputation for reliability, but they do seem to have a large number of issues if you read through the TSBs.

At first I thought perhaps its only because they are high volume or perhaps Honda is more 'on top' of their game when it comes to finding and releasing fixes, but if you compare it to Toyota Camry/Corolla which probably has equal if not more sales than the Accord/Civic, the Toyota pairng has significantly less TSBs. And Toyota in general is perceived as king of reliability. Or perhaps it is because USDM Honda's aren't as reliable as their JDM counterparts.

At the same time, if you compare it to Honda's luxury division, the TSX/TL have noticably less TSBs as well.

Also, I don't browse a whole lot of Subaru forums but I do know that I don't hear much complaints about them - which is reflected in the TSB numbers.

I was expecting the 6 to take a beating but it actually looks pretty average compared to the others.

Just an interesting observation... I don't think we can derive any conclusive evidence one way or another, but just an interesting observation...

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Remember that there are more then just TSB's for every vehicle manufacturer. There are internal "repair info" memo's, special programs, recall notices, etc etc.

Of couse these reliability survey's are also why its so difficult to figure out what the various reflashes address. If mazda told everyone what each reflash did, it would make it look like the car's were far more problematic then they actually are. Thus mazda discloses no information.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well, going by the usual CR and JD power stuff, Toyota and Lexus are ranked higher than Honda and Acura, so...it's not really a surprise.

Anyways, one cannot just look at the number of TSBs, since the severity of each one is quite significant. Having a bunch of small and insignificant TSBs is much better than say a few life threatening ones.

And for recalls and such...

I'd much rather have a company that recognizes faulty equipment in their cars and recalls them as opposed to those who don't recall in the beginning and wait until accidents occur..then recall.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Anyways, one cannot just look at the number of TSBs, since the severity of each one is quite significant. Having a bunch of small and insignificant TSBs is much better than say a few life threatening ones.
And for recalls and such...
[/b]

Yeah, a TSB can literally be a typo correction on a sticker on the car. Comparing the numbers doesn't really tell you much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
NoUse4Aname
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing