Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that cold cathode lights would make my trunk light up real nice. However, in order to connect it I have to take out the original light. HOW? No one has given instructions as to how to do this. The socket doesn't come out and on top of that my light isn't turning on in the first place. The bulb is good, but no power is reaching the socket.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i got the cold cathode light working, but not correctly. I connected the positive terminal from the original bulb to the transformer of the cathode and the negative terminal from the transformer to the frame(to ground it) and it works. The negative terminal from the original bulb is messed up. I believe that the trunk switch, that turns on the light when the trunk is open, is the problem. However, I don't know where the switch is. :(

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well i got the cold cathode light working, but not correctly. I connected the positive terminal from the original bulb to the transformer of the cathode and the negative terminal from the transformer to the frame(to ground it) and it works. The negative terminal from the original bulb is messed up. I believe that the trunk switch, that turns on the light when the trunk is open, is the problem. However, I don't know where the switch is. :(
[/b]
Superbrightled bulbs do NOTHING and they are as bright as i've seen, i cant imagine those being that much better.

Here's what I did. I took needle nose pliers and ripped out the bulb housing exposing the two wires. I crimped in two sets of 8" neon tubes and stuffed the extra wires in one of the holes on the side of the trunk and covered with electrical tape. i taped it but pretty good so its barely noticable unless you stick your head totally in the trunk. I chose purple which isnt as bright as i thought. perhaps led's or super white but its DEFINITELY much better than that tiny light. it took about 30 min and thats taking my time. I did blow a fuse so I recommend removing the ROOM fuse before starting this. A couple of members have done this over a year ago with no complaints. I'm going on a month and no problems.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did everything just like that except the brown grounding wire isn't working. I've determined this by connecting the negative terminal of the light to a piece of metal in my trunk and lighting it up. The brown wire leads somewhere to the trunk switch which turns on the trunk light. The switch is broken because the original light was good and it wouldn't turn on. I need to know where the switch is so that I can fix it. Otherwise, I'm going to put a mercury switch in my trunk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts