Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a way to make the rear trunk actually pop all the way open when you hit the button? I searched and found some complaints about it not opening up when unlocked, but no solutions. Has anyone done anythink about it? if not, i'm on it and i intend to succeed. any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Has anyone found a way to make the rear trunk actually pop all the way open when you hit the button? I searched and found some complaints about it not opening up when unlocked, but no solutions. Has anyone done anythink about it? if not, i'm on it and i intend to succeed. any thoughts?
[/b]
If you found the other posts, you probably found an explanation of why it will be difficult to do.

Namely, because of the angle that the gas struts rest. When closed, they are horizontal, so they have no vertical force at all. Stronger struts wouldn't work because there'd still be no vertical force, it'd also make the trunk extremely hard to close.

There's 3 ways to make it work:

1> Completely redesign the hinge mechanism. Make it like they used to be where the hinges went into the trunk. This allows the strut to lay at an angle, and have upward force when not latched. But at the expense of a lot of your usable space.

2> Devise a solenoid that will pop the trunk up when unlatched. That way you get the trunk high enough that the strut gets at an angle that allows it some vertical force. It would take one hell of a push to do it though.

3> Motorize the mechanism. Instead of using gas struts, gear it with motors. That way getting the strut into a position where it can give vertical force is irrelevant.

Either way you go, it'll be far from easy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
Sigma
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing