Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if it was possible to change the exhaust system from the current 'Y', to an 'H' (true dual). Perhaps this is a stretch, but just something a friend of mine told me to consider, seeing as how I'll be getting my exhaust custom made. (getting too impatient :p)

explanation would be much appreciated... I dont know much about this area at all. much thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Reading Topic: True Dual Exhaust?

Shouldn't be too hard, but last I looked, it's hard to find H-pipes just by themselves, they usually come pre-designed, like for Mustangs. I was looking at Hooker's universal X-pipe for mine.

·
Registered
341 Posts

I like the idea of true duals, myself. But with this car I would just replace the cat back with a larger diameter pipe to avoid routing problems and excess weight. Plus, the 6 does the y pipe with class. When you drive behind it you can't see where they connect (although I am only sure about this with the sport bumper, but I think it's also true with the normal trim). Unlike Hondas, Lexii, Toyotas, Chevys, Pontiacs, and Acuras. It's so tackey to be able to see where they connect, but when done right, looks as good as true, and saves weight.

Joe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replying to Topic 'True Dual Exhaust?'

heh... much thanks for the comments.

As i said earlier, I was considering switching over from 'Y' pipe to an 'H' pipe, simply because I'm getting custom, and there wouldnt be much of a price difference between the two. (both are around $500).

anyone know the performance difference between Y vs H pipes? should i even bother, even if pricing is similar?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

I can understand getting impatient and stuff, but if I was going as far as you with the exhaust, I might just wait it out for some headers and do it all at once, save a couple dollars and I bet you'd see some fantastic gains with a complete header-back system, anyway jsut a thought since I saw a few ppl on here saying the biggest retriction in the exhaust is the manifolds...hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can chime in.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I am guessing we are talking about the 6s as one cannot put a true "Y" on a 4...May be obvious but I didn't see it mentioned...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replying to Topic 'True Dual Exhaust?'

Originally posted by applejax

I am guessing we are talking about the 6s as one cannot put a true "Y" on a 4...May be obvious but I didn't see it mentioned...[/b]
yeah, sorry... I meant the 6s.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Many, many Duratec contour owners have made really nice gains with a true dual setup...
We pieced one together for my brother's 3.0L swap and it cost about $240 total with all the bends, piping, and mufflers. It sounds totaly sweet with NO cats and Dynomax ultraflows.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Goto the contour.org formums and search for "true duals"...It's been discussed into the ground over there and theres alot of great info.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Please, the topic on back pressure has been beaten to death elsewhere (goto the contour forums like DuratecTour suggested) and found to be of little significance when considering the gains of opening up the exhaust. Besides, when going with a true dual setup, you'd go with something like dual 2 inch pipes whereas with a single setup you'd have a single 2.5 or 3 inch pipe.

One thing that confuses me is why you are considering an H pipe over an X pipe. From what I understand, an X pipe is ideal for pulse matching. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
322 Posts

My friend got a true dual exhaust put on his V8, it gave him a little more oomph and made the car shake the windows of the office when you start it. Personally I don't understand why people do the exhaust... you get not much boost for the unpleasentness of a loud rumble when cruising.

Heh, on my old Supra, when the exhaust fell off I got them to replace it with a quieter one than stock :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts