Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
It looks like they are recommending the O2 sensor. I would start there. Also, the EGR looks like it is having trouble. I'm not well versed on the action to take based on the code, but it might be a good idea to clean up the snorkel on the end of the egr valve in the intake.

Hopefully others will chime in with other things to try.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like they are recommending the O2 sensor. I would start there. Also, the EGR looks like it is having trouble. I'm not well versed on the action to take based on the code, but it might be a good idea to clean up the snorkel on the end of the egr valve in the intake.

Hopefully others will chime in with other things to try.
Thanks! I did clean the erg valve. I do belive that took care of that code. My o2 sensor is on the way. I wish i knew what that other one was though.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I wish i knew what that other one was though.
Which other one are you concerned with? The lean on bank 2 or the lost communication one?

The lean cost might be a vacuum leak or it could also have to do with the O2 sensor.

·
Rally Racer
1,761 Posts
The 4-wire NTK sensors in the v6 have a service life of 100,000mi (recommended). Over time the response rate on the sensor slows. The upstream sensors S1B1, S1B2, before the pre-cat) are responsible for your fuel mixture. If you look at live data for these sensors they oscillate between 0.1v-1.0v fairly quickly. The faster they can read the better they can control your mixture and the better your engine runs (longer lived catalysts). The downstream O2 sensors (after the catalyst) are there only to see if the converter is working. If they are oscillating in step with the front sensors then your catalyst is damaged. If they are relatively flat then the catalyst is working. If you take your catalyst out (add headers) and you don't want a CEL code (P0431,P0421 for example) you install a simulator that send the computer a non-oscillating signal from the downstream O2 sensors (or you pull them out of the exhaust stream so they can't sense as much). So in this case, having a slow responding sensor in the downstream spot would help you not have CEL codes for damaged exhaust.

TL : DR; O2 sensors have a lifespan and if you have one upstream sensor out then replace both upstream sensors to maintain fuel balance in both cylinder banks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Brandonmiller44
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing