Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure someone has had this problem, but a search did reveal much for me.

When ever I start the car in the morning and its cold, its a bitch and a half to shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Its very difficult and it also makes some 'clicking' or so noise, its def not grinding, but not sure what it is. I was reading about the TSB for the clutches, and my 04 6s is used, but i know the clutch has already been replaced once, just not sure about when and milage at which it was done right now.

Would changing out to like Redline or a nicer fluid help this at all? Or is this def something that is jacked up in my trans...FYI, i also get the clutch judder occasionaly when first driving the car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I run MT-90 and I still have some difficulty with cold shifts. I'm sure one of the gurus here can explain why this happens; I don't think it's that unusual.

FYI, I'm at 93k on the stock clutch.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If shifting gets better once the car is warm, I doubt you have an issue with the tranny or the clutch.

Switching to Redline MT-90 probably won't help shifting when cold, but it's definitely better when it's warm. My shifter makes a "popping" noise when moved into and out of gear too. It's just the nature of the beast when she's cold.

I'd recommend changing the fluid to something other than factory fill. It won't be any worse and you will likely notice an improvement in shifter feel once the car is warm. Royal Purple Max-Gear or Redline MT-90 are excellent choices.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have the same problem.. I posted in another thread looking for better cold performance, but it seems that hard shifting is inevitable until the fluid is warmed up.

As long as it is no worse than the stock cold performance, I plan to switch to MT90 or the RP soon.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think the cold shifting performance is inherent in this transmission design. I switched to RP a couple weeks ago and although slightly better than the factory fill there is still a fairly high shift effort and a little clunk when going from first to second while cold.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Yeap, same exact problem... i though i had issues as well because I literally can not shift if the revs are not perfect if its super cold out. Now i just go from 1st to third as it does that with much less fuss. Seems like the synchro when cold really hates doint its job :) After it warms up though, its butter smooth.

·
Registered
111 Posts
HAH, all of us have the same problem then. I feel much better about my car now. I usually have such a hard time going from 1st to 2nd so I just skip it like Rox. I have MT-90 btw.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Any manual car using gear oil has this problem. You have to understand how think gear oil is compaired to engine oil. Some cars with manual trannies use tranny fluid which is much much less viscus, which makes them easier to shift when cold, however does not offer as much protection.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
For me, even if the car is warmed up, but its still cold as hell outside, itll happen. Overall its just not the same driving when its hot out and cold out. When its warmer, its seriously the smoothest shifter ever it seems like.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Though it's unneccessary, double clutching when the car is cold makes shifting easier. This is because you're matching the synchro speeds.

There are also two bonuses to doing this. First, it reduces wear on the gearbox because when you engage second gear the engine and gears in the gearbox are turning at appropriately matched speeds. Second, it teaches you to double clutch which is a good skill to have if you ever want to race or drive an older car (but this is mostly academic).

Like I said, not necessary to double clutch, but it helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts