Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be real dumb question, but I don't know any better. :sarc: I have a automatic with the manual mode shifter, and my boyfriend told me that I shouldn't use the manual shifter all the time since my car was originally made to run as automatic. Is this true, can I ruin the transmission by always using the shifter instead of driving it just as an automatic?

·
Registered
947 Posts
It wouldn't hurt the transmission, it's designed to be used. But I would bet that after a while you'll get tired of it and just leave it shift by itself, most people do.
[/b]
Speak for yourself! I never use auto mode!

Shifting in M mode just allows you to shift it when you want, nothing more...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Speak for yourself! I never use auto mode!

Shifting in M mode just allows you to shift it when you want, nothing more...
[/b]

Same with me, I never use auto mode.

·
Registered
368 Posts
it simply depends on how high you let the RPM's go. don't let it go past 6k, cuz then you're not @ peak hp, and you're just wasting gas.
[/b]
Huh... peak horsepower for the v6 at least, is 220 @ 6300 RPM. If you drive in manual mode and shift like an automatic, in other words at normal revs, I don't see why it would hurt the car.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Huh... peak horsepower for the v6 at least, is 220 @ 6300 RPM. If you drive in manual mode and shift like an automatic, in other words at normal revs, I don't see why it would hurt the car.
[/b]
where have you seen these specs for peak HP (not the 220 , I mean @6300rpm) ?

'cause there is a diff. in redline (6300rpm) and peak HP (which you would see the HP line starting to drop off at 6300rpm on a Dyno sheet reading)

BTW , what is our v6's redline at (can't seem to remember as much as my 7000rpm redline on my Cobra)

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,571 Posts
As long as you don't hit redline in Manual mode, it's all good.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
As long as you don't hit redline in Manual mode, it's all good.
[/b]
There's a rev limiter to keep you from over-revving the engine. It's several hundred rpms past the red line. Don't ask how I know. :p

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
There's a rev limiter to keep you from over-revving the engine. It's several hundred rpms past the red line. Don't ask how I know. :p
[/b]
I was wondering about that. I went to 7000 rpm by accident once, and it hadn't shifted by then. Where the hell does the limiter kick in?? It may want to think about kicking in around 6700 or so, not freaking 7200! :swearin:

·
Registered
947 Posts
I was wondering about that. I went to 7000 rpm by accident once, and it hadn't shifted by then. Where the hell does the limiter kick in?? It may want to think about kicking in around 6700 or so, not freaking 7200! :swearin:
[/b]
Haha... ya I have hit the limiter a couple of times when I first got the car... The shift delay took a little to get used to... I normally shift right before redline... Just because it feels good even though it's not peak rpm range...

It's FUN! :D :yesnod:

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
That's the problem, there's a delay between the time you shift and the time the gear changes. That's why I don't use the M mode alot. It annoys me.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I say leave it in Auto or buy a manual car, you damn posers hahahaha especially you dabears, not only do you use "manual" mode all the time but you modified your car so it looks like a manual shifter. Out of the posers you are pure lowest common denominator (hahaha i watched raging bender the other night and it's stuck in my head.) To stay on topic i agree with everyone else that the tiptronic mode will not harm the engine you will just get laughed at a little by me.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
my car um.. doesnt do to well in full auto anymore.. it has a little delay and hits redline if i use DA NOS!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I say leave it in Auto or buy a manual car, you damn posers hahahaha especially you dabears, not only do you use "manual" mode all the time but you modified your car so it looks like a manual shifter. Out of the posers you are pure lowest common denominator (hahaha i watched raging bender the other night and it's stuck in my head.) To stay on topic i agree with everyone else that the tiptronic mode will not harm the engine you will just get laughed at a little by me.
[/b]
Ya well first off, I purchased an ATX because my wife chooses not to drive stick and it was just easier for her overall... Besides that, STFU! We we want to use M mode, let us and get out of our discussion...

And second, I don't know why Debears put the manual shift boot on his, but I have planned to do the same, because I like to look of the shift boot instead of the plastic shifting guide our cars come with...

So keep your dump ass opinions to yourself next time!

:D

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ya well first off, I purchased an ATX because my wife chooses not to drive stick and it was just easier for her overall... Besides that, STFU! We we want to use M mode, let us and get out of our discussion...

And second, I don't know why Debears put the manual shift boot on his, but I have planned to do the same, because I like to look of the shift boot instead of the plastic shifting guide our cars come with...

So keep your dump ass opinions to yourself next time!

:D
[/b]

I'm so sorry there isn't a sarcasm button on this forum. Enjoy your M mode you dirty hippies.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm so sorry there isn't a sarcasm button on this forum. Enjoy your M mode you dirty hippies.
[/b]
hahaha = He called us hippies... :huh: Wow...

Technically there is : :sarc:

:slap:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts