Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to install some interior L.E.D. lites to day, the instructions said:

Conect Silver Wire to power source (E.G. ing lite) Conect Golden Wire to Grounded Chassis

I opened the fuse box and had know Idea what to do, so I closed it and decided to wait until I could have someone else do it for me or find out how to do it my self

·
Registered
43 Posts

Conect Silver Wire to power source (E.G. ing lite) Conect Golden Wire to Grounded Chassis

I opened the fuse box and had know Idea what to do, so I closed it and decided to wait until I could have someone else do it for me or find out how to do it my self
[/b]
Wassup Boss? I must first ask what are you trying to accomplish with these LED lights? How do you want them to turn on? When the Doors open? By a switch? with the Parking, or Head lights? Once I have a rundown of what it is you exactly want I'll be able to give you instructions on how to accomplish your goals.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I agree with Atenza, it all depends on where the lights are going and what you want to do with them. Generally you'll want to tap into a line like the cigarette light in the center console, not straight into the fuse box.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heres the LED light strip, I'm getting a second strip, but theres only a picture of 1, here it is:

I want them to turn on when I put the headlights on, even if I only turn them on the dimist

heres My Fuse box, dont know what to do here so I didnt touch anything, just took a picture and put the cover back on

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any seguestions?

·
Registered
206 Posts
i think it would be a little better if you put it to a toggle switch rather than to a fuse. that way you can hook it up straight to the battery an dnot worry so much about blowing fuses. just a suggestion...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think it would be a little better if you put it to a toggle switch rather than to a fuse. that way you can hook it up straight to the battery an dnot worry so much about blowing fuses. just a suggestion...
[/b]

the dirrections said try the fuse box, but if theres a better way I dont mind, I just dont know how to do it

·
Registered
206 Posts
if u wanna hook it up to the headlights, look at the cover of your fusebox. (make sure u disconnect the battery, just to be safe) inside the cover should have a map of what each fuse is. find the one for your headlights. pull that fuse out. put it back in, but slide the power wire in with one of the fuse's legs.there's your power. for the ground wire u could basically screw it in to any metal surface of your car that is attached to your chassis. or a negative terminal. i prefer to use the negative terminal of the battery.

go with the toggle switch tho, so u have more control over when it's on, instead of having it only and always go on when the headlights go on ;)

hope that helps

·
Registered
222 Posts
I believe that I have those same exact ones. I ran the pos. from my fuse box and the neg. from a screw next to the door switch. I used the switch that came with the LED strips so I can turn them on as I please. So yeah, use a switch.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

[/b]
Where did you get these LED stripes from? :drive:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree that you might want to use a switch considering it gives you more flexibility with your LED lighting. But I don't agree with attatching things to your Fuse panel in such a way. What I suggest is picking up a fuse holder which are very easy to find usually at your local auto parts store or electronics superstore. I would then tag the Parking Lights wire or the Head light wire from the light switch or the Kickpanel. Attatch your fuse holder here along with your Power wire. Of course ground the ground wire like they mentioned above, most any metal surface in the car. If you use a switch place the switch after the fue holder in a convienent location for easy access. Place a fuse in the fuse holder and you are ready to go. Sorry I don't have my resources sitting right here infront of me but if you wait another day I'll have exactly which wire you want to tag and exactly where it is located in the vehicle. If this is all too much then by all means just tag it to a fuse. It will work it's just not as clean of an install.

P.S.
If you only want to use a switch, still obtain a fuse holder and a 10a or 15a fuse. Solder one side of the fuse holder to your LED Lightings power wire and switch, solder the other side to the Black or Black/Yellow (Both are constant 12volt) wire on the ignition harness below the steering column. From here ground the LED lighting system and place the use in the fuse holder. Flip your switch and you have LEDs anytime you want them. By the way you should be using what are sometimes called, Maxi, Mini, or Blade fuses. The same style fuse in your fuse box.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx for the help- but remember, I'm putting in 2 Light strips, so, hoe do I connect 2 from the same place?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Considering LEDs have such a low current draw, you could just run them off the same switch. Just Solder both power wires from the LEDs to the one side of the switch the other side of the switch to one side of the fuse holder and finally the other side of the fuse holder to the the power source ( Constant 12volt as explained previously, or the parking or headlight wire, which I will give you the locations tomorrow).

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool!-Thanx!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow, There are so many different locations. On my 2003 Mazda6 the parking light wire is tapped right at the illumination/dimmer switch using the drk. green/red wire. If you tap it there once the parking lights come on your LED lights will be on. There is another resource that says it is a lt. green/yellow wire on the 14 pin connector in the drivers kick panel. So you'll have to remove the whole panel that is coverig the fuse box and search for that wire. Either will work. (TEST, TEST, TEST with a multi meter) I doubt Mazda changed their colors but it happens sometimes.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanx 4 the tips, I'll be sure to post a picture of the car when its finished!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts