Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been gearing up for the track lately, and after the CPE fmic gets installed, and I get her tuned right, that's where I'll be heading. So, I tried out FFS tonight for the first time, and I was like "holy shit!" I couldn't believe how the baa-bahh hiccup in acceleration during a shift is completely eliminated.

So, after my first FFS, I decided it was about time I tried using LC and try out a 0-60 mph time. So, I had LC rev limiter set to 4,050 rpms, LC Speed Limiter set to 9 mph, and the FFS rev limited set to 6,030 rpms. I was actually pretty psyched with my 0-60mph time (5.37 sec), considering it was my very first launch, and only the second time using FFS. How accurate is this 0-60 time with the DH? Kinda sucks that there's that 2nd shift before 60 mph, lol. I think my FFS Rev Limiter might be a little high... what's the ideal FFS Rev Limiter for my set up?

Thanks!

EDIT: In my hustle to get a 0-60 time, I forgot to turn DSC off!! LOL I don't think it hurt my time bc the DSC light didn't flash... it never does, even in the rain. I'll try again tomorrow, and see what I get for a 60' time as well... I haven't tried that before. Hoping for a 1.9 sec

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Aint that somethin. We both nailed the exact same 0-60 time down to the hundredth of a second. I did this one a few weeks ago. Why is your FFS set so high? Isnt it a kick in the ass when you shift? I have mine set at 5000.

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Aint that somethin. We both nailed the exact same 0-60 time down to the hundredth of a second. I did this one a few weeks ago. Why is your FFS set so high? Isnt it a kick in the ass when you shift? I have mine set at 5000.
That's too funny. I don't know why my FFS Rev Limiter was set so high, that's why I'm asking you! lol I thought I saw someone setting it to like 5,500 rpms, but mine was set to 6,030 rpms, so I just went with that! Haha I thought it should be a little lower, but I wasn't sure how much. No noticeable kick in the ass, but I was concentrating on dumping the clutch right, and keeping my right foot hammered during my shifts, which I'm not used to doing. Do you think I could shave some time off if I set to 5,000 or 5,500 rpms? I was surprised at how quickly I hooked up... I didn't have much time to slip the clutch before I dumped it. The car seemed to handle the launch extremely well... CPE rear diff FTW!! I must admit I was pleasantly surprised. I'm wondering if my 225/40/18's help a little bit over the 215 stockers?

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So, I tried out the 1/8th mile time today before the rain fell to check out my 60' time. The first two were a sloppy runs... my 60' times were 2.20 seconds and 2.12 seconds. I had DSC off this time (forgot yesterday, lol), and it took me a couple launches to get the feel of it. I did one 0-60 mph yesterday, and ran it in 5.37 secs.

So, on my 3rd launch, I hit 60ft in 1.88 seconds, which was good because I wanted to break 1.9 seconds today. I was also able to hit 60mph in 5.0 seconds flat... I was quite surprised that a decent launch could knock 0.4 secs off the 0-60 mph time. I finished the 1/8th mile in 8.68 second @ 70.84 mph, but I don't remember if I had it floored all the way through the 1/8 mile... I was just trying to get the 60' time. Anyone know what this may translate to for the 1/4 mile? What should I be able to get my 60' time down to with the mods in my sig? (FMIC not yet installed).

EDIT: I realized I didn't shift into 4th near the end of the 1/8th mile. I just put the clutch in, and coasted to the 1/8th mile, and then slowed down as I was on a back road. I was trapping 75 mph at about 7.25 seconds in, which is when I put the clutch in. I probably could've finished the 1/8th quicker, and around 80mph... instead of limping across in neutral at 70.84 mph, lol.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Good runs! I tried again today and got 5.36sec. One day I will beat your time..

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good runs! I tried again today and got 5.36sec. One day I will beat your time..
Thanks pal! The only reason why I hooked up well is because I'm running four new $67 Nexen 5000n tires I got with my cheap rims, lol. Because tires make a big difference, lol. I'm sure you'll beat it very soon. I'm gonna try to break 5.0, but I don't want to do excessive launches before the track. I'll probably only do another 10 total before the track. Good news is 3 launches back to back, and zero clutch smell. I'm really considering increasing load per gear a bit after the fmic to bring the PSI not just back to where I'm at, but a couple PSI more. I'm not running 'excessive' boost atm, but launching and WOT thru 5th gear at 19-19.5 PSI seems a little sketchy, lol. Maybe if I had an upgraded ebcs and tuned for smoother boost... I dunno

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Hey! You guys need to step it up a bit. I can run 0-60s all day (well, till the car breaks!) in 4.5 sec. My best ever was a 4.3 with a perfect launch and shift. If your in 3rd for 60mph, you're not revving it high enough...

The speedo calibration is a biggy for the 0-60, so verify your speedo w/GPS to see if you're close to "calibrated". Mine is dead on w/Garmin...

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Doug have you upgraded your rear diff mount?, I cant see it from your sig...

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey! You guys need to step it up a bit. I can run 0-60s all day (well, till the car breaks!) in 4.5 sec. My best ever was a 4.3 with a perfect launch and shift. If your in 3rd for 60mph, you're not revving it high enough...

The speedo calibration is a biggy for the 0-60, so verify your speedo w/GPS to see if you're close to "calibrated". Mine is dead on w/Garmin...
Very nice!! Step it up a bit, eh Mr. Forzda? Keep in mind I'm running the stock dp and stock tmic at the moment. Swap yours out for the stockers, shift into 3rd before 60 mph, and see if you can hit 60mph in 4.9 ;) Haha! J/K. Maybe my speedo is off... I'm using 225/18/40's... not sure if that makes a big difference. No clue how to calibrate the speedo with the aid of 3 gyrosynchronous sattelites... I don't have a Garmin... I have the stock Navi, and somehow I doubt that will help, lol. So, I can hold 2nd to the rev limiter and hit 60mph? If that's the case I should be able to shave .2 secs off the 0-60 sans the extra shift.

Doug have you upgraded your rear diff mount?, I cant see it from your sig...
Oh yeah, got the CPE one in a couple months ago. I would never think of it on the stocker, that's why I'm just getting started now. I think you need bigger glasses Mr. Magoo! lol J/K I changed my sig around and put it alphabetical for the most part. That's prolly what threw ya!

EDIT: Jesus, how did you fit all that stuff in your sig? It's like a mile long! lol I wish I had a few of those goodies... nice set up!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
...... So, I can hold 2nd to the rev limiter and hit 60mph? If that's the case I should be able to shave .2 secs off the 0-60 sans the extra shift......
LOL Yep, you guys need to spend "mo' moneys" to keep up! LOL

Yeah, run it up to 6500-6700 in 1st and second and you'll get through 60 with only one shift. I'm running the 225/45s, so if you have 40 series tires, your speedo definitely reads a bit faster than actual, so your 0-60 et is likely 2-3 tenths slower than recorded....!

Oh, and those sats are "GEOsynchronous"

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Something's up with your calculations. To hit 60.45 in 2nd you would have to be precisely at 6900RPM with 225/45/18 tires, or 7200RPM to hit 60.92 with 225/40/18 tires.

You're telling me you're revving to 6900RPM? This is referenced from the gear calculator on MSF (zipped file attached to this post).

PS my time, with 3 shifts stock turbo stock tires, DP/mani/cai/ETS TMIC/SB, day after I go both my mounts in, that people don't believe I didn't do on a downward sloping hill. But I couldn't care less, I was there, or I wouldn't believe it either. lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
LOL Yep, you guys need to spend "mo' moneys" to keep up! LOL

Yeah, run it up to 6500-6700 in 1st and second and you'll get through 60 with only one shift. I'm running the 225/45s, so if you have 40 series tires, your speedo definitely reads a bit faster than actual, so your 0-60 et is likely 2-3 tenths slower than recorded....!

Oh, and those sats are "GEOsynchronous"
I ain't got no more moneys! Good to know about the 60mph in 2nd, and I didn't realize I'm running slower than I thought... that sucks. Thanks for the crap news! lol. But I'm losing at least .25 seconds on the shift, so it should be a wash.

That's gonna throw everything off and make it a lot worse. Well, good to know now, and not be very disappointed at the track. I know that stats are geo, it was a morning typo you ball breaker! lol Can you calibrate the tire size on the DH for performance? I think there's an adjustment for fuel economy, but I really don't need to see 12mpg on there, lol. I mean, an artificially inflated 12mph... actual will be like 10mpg due to the tires ;)

Something's up with your calculations. To hit 60.45 in 2nd you would have to be precisely at 6900RPM with 225/45/18 tires, or 7200RPM to hit 60.92 with 225/40/18 tires.

You're telling me you're revving to 6900RPM? This is referenced from the gear calculator on MSF.

PS my time, with 3 shifts stock turbo stock tires, DP/mani/cai/ETS TMIC/SB, day after I go both my mounts in, that people don't believe I didn't do on a downward sloping hill. But I couldn't care less, I was there, or I wouldn't believe it either. lol:
I remember that gear calc too. Maybe Forzda upped his normal rev limiter a bit just for the 0-60 runs? I dunno. Yeah, that 0-60 is amazing and I believe it. If I can do 5.0 on my 3rd launch/FFS use without a DP, mani, or upgraded ic, I'm sure you're numbers are legit. Plus, I trust your Mr. Smoker6! And not to take away from your run... that launch must've been perfect, and your shifts lighting fast and precise. Good job!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I ran both 1st and 2nd to redline. 2nd gear at redline was about 55mph. I'm still on stock rear differential mounts. But am strapped. Maybe the brace will help the launch out a lot.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
The launch was unbelievable and I haven't been able to get it like that again with LC from the AP, I always seem to bog a bit. -_- Needs more practice. My shifts are always with the quickness. :p

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The launch was unbelievable and I haven't been able to get it like that again with LC from the AP, I always seem to bog a bit. -_- Needs more practice. My shifts are always with the quickness. :p
Smoker, I came across this video of you on your way to the track grinding some gears. I like the aftermarket wheel and dash...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts

You're telling me you're revving to 6900RPM? This is referenced from the gear calculator on MSF (zipped file attached to this post).

Actually yes, I have my "normal" rev limit set to 7200 rpms to get it out of the way of my fun. Haven't hit the rev limiter since! The tire/gear charts are always within some small % error as the effective tire diameter depends on several things, like manufacturer and air pressure.

You can drop your gearing a bit with smaller tires/lower air pressure, but you knew that...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I ran both 1st and 2nd to redline. 2nd gear at redline was about 55mph. I'm still on stock rear differential mounts. But am strapped. Maybe the brace will help the launch out a lot.
You can't really watch the speedo for determining accurate 60 mph as the needle will lag the actual quite a bit.... The DH and other devices read right off the speed sensor. Wheelspin will affect 1/4 mile et, but not 0-60 unless you're a 3 with WWD and hit 60mph wheel speed before you're even moving.......

For the quick times you gotta REV it!

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Hmm, well fair enough then. I haven't touched my rev limit. I need to try some serious runs with my bigger turbo.

You're still on stock turbo no? I know you had a gt30, but you never installed it did you? I'm surprised you're running the stock turbo to ~6900RPM then, I could feel significant power drop off approaching 6.5k which is what I based my shift to 3rd off of. Didn't think any of it through, just shifted based on feel.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm, well fair enough then. I haven't touched my rev limit. I need to try some serious runs with my bigger turbo.

You're still on stock turbo no? I know you had a gt30, but you never installed it did you? I'm surprised you're running the stock turbo to ~6900RPM then, I could feel significant power drop off approaching 6.5k which is what I based my shift to 3rd off of. Didn't think any of it through, just shifted based on feel.
I really don't like the idea of increasing my normal rev limiter, but I might try it once or twice just to see. Even when you can shift fast, that shift into 3rd still eats up a lot of 0-60 time.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
.........You're still on stock turbo............I could feel significant power drop off approaching 6.5k .........
Tuning! You need more tuning my friend, more tuning! Power is "dropping", but it is still WAY better for et to run it up there than shifting.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts