Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys have a special way of putting leather cleaner and conditioner on the dash without hitting the windshield I know carefully is one and I have been using Lexol and The Chemical Guys.

I have mentioned this before but what a do on the leather on the door panels and seats is a totally saturated it with the conditioner then I rub it with my hand and I let it sit overnight then I lightly buff it the next day or just leave it alone because the leather sucks it up.

On the tires I put tire spray and in the morning it’s ready to go.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Except for the narrow strip of heavily processed "leather" , the rest of the dash and most of the seats/doors are synthetic. Just spray your cleaner or water+mild soap on a microfiber and give it a wipe, then take a dry microfiber to remove the excess. Even on the seat trims that are heavily processed aniline, there's limited help using a conditioner. These trim pieces are borderline full synthetic and hence you'll notice there's hardly any difference between bolsters,that are synthetic and middle trim which is leather. Lexol/303/Griots are all good, just put it on a microfiber towel instead of spraying directly and wipe it down.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
And dont EVER use Armor All, that shit will ruin anything it touches.
I used to think this too, but I read a VERY well written and long discussion about how this mentality is all due to an extremely well done smear campaign decades ago. Armor All, by it's contents, is almost no different than any other cleaner out there. I forget the exact science and chemicals behind all of it, but it's not harmful at all and simply leaves a bit more of a glossy sheen with no ill after effects.

That all being said, I am sold on Chemical Guys and my go-to has always been Griot's.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I used to think this too, but I read a VERY well written and long discussion about how this mentality is all due to an extremely well done smear campaign decades ago. Armor All, by it's contents, is almost no different than any other cleaner out there. I forget the exact science and chemicals behind all of it, but it's not harmful at all and simply leaves a bit more of a glossy sheen with no ill after effects.

That all being said, I am sold on Chemical Guys and my go-to has always been Griot's.

I say that from experience, i used to detail professionally. Ive seen cars where two years after it was applied, the residue is still there sopping up dirt and grime. Ive never heard of those others though. I prefer a real leather cleaner/protector like for jackets or boots and nothing on any of the other surfaces (clean, dry).

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
I say that from experience, i used to detail professionally. Ive seen cars where two years after it was applied, the residue is still there sopping up dirt and grime. Ive never heard of those others though. I prefer a real leather cleaner/protector like for jackets or boots and nothing on any of the other surfaces (clean, dry).
"Used to" I think might be the key here - Armor All used to use dimethyl silicone oils rather than water-based silicone oils, which result in the degradation of the plastic/vinyl over time as it won't remain as flexible. So far as I have found, they stopped using those decades ago. Doesn't help the name that they sullied over years of actually ruining people's dashes.

·
Registered
750 Posts
"Used to" I think might be the key here - Armor All used to use dimethyl silicone oils rather than water-based silicone oils, which result in the degradation of the plastic/vinyl over time as it won't remain as flexible. So far as I have found, they stopped using those decades ago. Doesn't help the name that they sullied over years of actually ruining people's dashes.

That could be, but when i got my 3 last year, it was slathered in it and i cant stand it, cause it takes alcohol or Windex to get it off your hands. I had to detail my freshly detailed car to get that grease off, ugh lol. Hell, i bought my 6 in 2010 and as of last year was still finding it in places you dont normally stick your fingers.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
That could be, but when i got my 3 last year, it was slathered in it and i cant stand it, cause it takes alcohol or Windex to get it off your hands. I had to detail my freshly detailed car to get that grease off, ugh lol. Hell, i bought my 6 in 2010 and as of last year was still finding it in places you dont normally stick your fingers.
Oh I can imagine - they changed the type of silicone in it, not the fact that it's greasy on purpose - which is why I stay away from it as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Are you using the cleaning wipes or the protectant wipes? The cleaning wipes are just fine, I keep some in my car at all times. It's the protectant that's garbage.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys the seats might not be leather but they do look better when I use leather conditioner and The Chemical Guys make a air freshener spray that does smell of leather which I like to use on the rubber looking floor mats and thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Chemical Guys also makes one called Stripper Scent. Just sayin...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
GerryB
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing