Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of the speed 6's transmissions have been lemons? cuz i've read of a few people who had their clutches and tranny's replaced really early.

also, i'm new to manual, and how should i say....i stall a lot.

does that affect my tranny?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

[/b]
Just remember, practice will make you better. Here's a simple method I use when I get back on a Manual all the time:

Clutch in, shift into gear, release clutch slowly, gas n go.

As far as stalling, that takes practice to do, I'm more than sure you don't even need to press the gas oh so much to have a rolling start either. Stalling isn't as bad as misshifting so don't feel like it affects your tranny entirely, but yes it will affect it in some sort of way.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i mostly stall because i have this annoying habit of gassing it to much. guess thats what happens when you drive a old car and move to a new sports car.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
how many of the speed 6's transmissions have been lemons? cuz i've read of a few people who had their clutches and tranny's replaced really early.

[/b]
i can only remember two bad trannys, but there may be more. so far as clutches going: they wear out. they wear out very quickly when driven improperly. the manufacturer claims the part will last at least 200k under proper driving conditions. now once you put a human in the loop that 200k begins to drop. now how much it drops depends on how it's driven.

that being said, the speed6 is a difficult car drive if you're not comfortable on the MTX. i've been driving MTXs for 16 years and still managed to stall about three times the first week. it took about 500 miles for me to feel real comfortable on the clutch. the 06 is a little quirky, but i'm very comfortable with it now. i really like the short engagement, however, i would highly recommend against learning to drive MTX on it though. a novice could easily burn out a clutch in <15k miles. at the zoomzoomlive event, drivers were burning out clutches in a single day.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i'm new to mtx so i'll probably be burning out the clutch really soon. thank god for warrenty. is there any practices that i can do to help prevent against stalling?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i'd recommend learning on an easier car, then work up to the speed6. driving the MTX is extremely easy in theory, and harder in practice. i learned to drive on a 1992 taurus SHO wtih my dad srcreaming every time i stralled or gave too much gas. it was another very hard clutch to master. once you get it though it's easy.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
save up for a clutch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts