Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I recalled seeing the '6 automatic with a "manual mode" (tiptronic? is that the correct term?) a while ago. But lately, as I look, I see nothing of the sort. Is this an option? Did I see right - but was it ditched or are the pictures just not showing it?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Transmission / Shifter'

Originally posted by applejax

I thought I recalled seeing the '6 automatic with a "manual mode" (tiptronic?  is that the correct term?) a while ago.  But lately, as I look, I see nothing of the sort.  Is this an option?  Did I see right - but was it ditched or are the pictures just not showing it?[/b]
I've seen that also. But now the pics are gone...perhaps the're saving it for the 4WD, I think I've read that somewhere.

/Steve

PS. It's a tiptronic/steptronic alright. That is an excellent kind of transmission.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Actually it is excellent only for those who drive Automatic. It gives them more of a feel and ability to change gears. BUT, since you are still using a torque converter (and there is lag between changing gears) it still isn't manual transmission.

The way I like to put it is, if you drive automatic or hate clutch shifting of manual but want to change your own gears, it is great. If you drive manual and like manual, you'll most likely hate it.

So for the automatic people of the world it is great. :D

Just my 10 cents.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by Kranberry

Actually it is excellent only for those who drive Automatic.  It gives them more of a feel and ability to change gears.  BUT, since you are still using a torque converter (and there is lag between changing gears) it still isn't manual transmission.

The way I like to put it is, if you drive automatic or hate clutch shifting of manual but want to change your own gears, it is great.  If you drive manual and like manual, you'll most likely hate it.

So for the automatic people of the world it is great.  :D

Just my 10 cents.[/b]
That is exactly what I meant also. There is nothing like a really good manual gearbox...but if you're into automatic, then this would be a good choice instead of the ordinary automatic.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

I've seen that also. But now the pics are gone...perhaps the're saving it for the 4WD, I think I've read that somewhere.

/Steve

PS. It's a tiptronic/steptronic alright. That is an excellent kind of transmission.[/b]
Yes, it's going to be 5-speed and available only with 4WD.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Originally posted by Sigvard

/Steve

PS. It's a tiptronic/steptronic alright. That is an excellent kind of transmission.[/b]
Yes, it's going to be 5-speed and available only with 4WD.[/b][/quote]

Damn!! I've always been a 5-speed sports car person, but the sedan (ie. familymobile) we get is going to have an automatic for my wife. For a while, I thought the '6 would get a point or two for a tiptronic. :sarc

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Originally posted by Sigvard

/Steve

Yes, it's going to be 5-speed and available only with 4WD.[/b][/quote]

Damn!! I've always been a 5-speed sports car person, but the sedan (ie. familymobile) we get is going to have an automatic for my wife. For a while, I thought the '6 would get a point or two for a tiptronic. :sarc [/b][/quote]

Plus two points for the Passat, minus two for the '6...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

My understanding is that the 4 cylinder equipped 6's will get a Mazda-sourced 4 speed automatic. The 6 cylinder 6 (is that confusing or what?) will get a JATCO 5 speed with manumatic.
From the CarsEverything Article:
The FN four-speed automatic transmission is designed for use with the new 4-cylinder range, up to the 2.3-liter engine. The highly responsive, smooth shifting nature of the transmission has been optimized to match the engine's character.  
Crisp, smooth gear changes for increased passing and merging performance - elements of Mazda's DNA - are achieved on the 4-speed automatic with the addition of a new oil pressure control module. Gear train receives a new heat treating technology, refined lubricant system and enhanced computer controls, enabling the transmission to handle Mazda's high powered 2.3-liter 4-cyl. without increasing the weight or size of the transaxle.  
A JATCO 5-speed transaxle is fitted to V-6 equipped models. Its robust construction is ideal for the higher torque output of this engine. Smooth shifting quality for its specific application in Mazda 6 was a priority in its design configuration.[/b]

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Originally posted by kenoka

My understanding is that the 4 cylinder equipped 6's will get a Mazda-sourced 4 speed automatic.  The 6 cylinder 6 (is that confusing or what?) will get a JATCO 5 speed with manumatic.  
From the CarsEverything Article:
The FN four-speed automatic transmission is designed for use with the new 4-cylinder range, up to the 2.3-liter engine. The highly responsive, smooth shifting nature of the transmission has been optimized to match the engine's character.  
Crisp, smooth gear changes for increased passing and merging performance - elements of Mazda's DNA - are achieved on the 4-speed automatic with the addition of a new oil pressure control module. Gear train receives a new heat treating technology, refined lubricant system and enhanced computer controls, enabling the transmission to handle Mazda's high powered 2.3-liter 4-cyl. without increasing the weight or size of the transaxle.  
A JATCO 5-speed transaxle is fitted to V-6 equipped models. Its robust construction is ideal for the higher torque output of this engine. Smooth shifting quality for its specific application in Mazda 6 was a priority in its design configuration.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Can you post a link to, or the article itself? I don't see a reference to a manumatic...unless it relates to my next question:

Is a 5-speed transaxle a 5-speed automatic (in this case, at least)?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Originally posted by Gujustud

Garbage!  I'd only get the car if it was STRICKLY manual...[/b]
It's all because of my wife!! Honestly!! (as applejax blushes and hides his face)

·
Registered
14 Posts

The way I like to put it is, if you drive automatic or hate clutch shifting of manual but want to change your own gears, it is great. If you drive manual and like manual, you'll most likely hate it.[/b]
how about SMG?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Damnit!! I saw a reference to the '6 having the tiptronic, and now I forget where I saw it!

The plot thickens...

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Damnit!!  I saw a reference to the '6 having the tiptronic, and now I forget where I saw it!  

The plot thickens...[/b]
Well, the image is "everywhere", this is off the swedish mazda-site (www.mazda.se)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Damnit!!  I saw a reference to the '6 having the tiptronic, and now I forget where I saw it!  

The plot thickens...[/b]
Well, the image is "everywhere", this is off the swedish mazda-site (www.mazda.se)

[/b][/quote]

Interesting...And this is only the 4WD version? And I notice a remote that strongly looks factory, and as it's on Mazda's website, I assume it is. And this remote is for what? Navigation? Stereo?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

The plot thickens...[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Interesting...And this is only the 4WD version? And I notice a remote that strongly looks factory, and as it's on Mazda's website, I assume it is. And this remote is for what? Navigation? Stereo?[/b][/quote]

The remote is for the navigation system (and the DVD).

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

I think I can clear up the confusion here. I'm nearly certain that we are mixing up the US and JDM/European versions here.
For the JDM/European version-there are several separate 4 cylinder engines. All of these have the Mazda built 4 speed automatic. Only the AWD version has the tiptronic/manumatic feature.
For the US version, the 6 cylinder has the JATCO 5 speed tranny, which has the tiptronic/manumatic feature.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts