Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I recalled seeing the '6 automatic with a "manual mode" (tiptronic? is that the correct term?) a while ago. But lately, as I look, I see nothing of the sort. Is this an option? Did I see right - but was it ditched or are the pictures just not showing it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Transmission / Shifter'

QUOTE
Originally posted by applejax


            I thought I recalled seeing the '6 automatic with a "manual mode" (tiptronic?  is that the correct term?) a while ago.  But lately, as I look, I see nothing of the sort.  Is this an option?  Did I see right - but was it ditched or are the pictures just not showing it?[/b]
I've seen that also. But now the pics are gone...perhaps the're saving it for the 4WD, I think I've read that somewhere.

/Steve

PS. It's a tiptronic/steptronic alright. That is an excellent kind of transmission.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Transmission / Shifter'

Actually it is excellent only for those who drive Automatic. It gives them more of a feel and ability to change gears. BUT, since you are still using a torque converter (and there is lag between changing gears) it still isn't manual transmission.

The way I like to put it is, if you drive automatic or hate clutch shifting of manual but want to change your own gears, it is great. If you drive manual and like manual, you'll most likely hate it.

So for the automatic people of the world it is great. :D

Just my 10 cents.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Transmission / Shifter'

QUOTE
Originally posted by Kranberry


            Actually it is excellent only for those who drive Automatic.  It gives them more of a feel and ability to change gears.  BUT, since you are still using a torque converter (and there is lag between changing gears) it still isn't manual transmission.

The way I like to put it is, if you drive automatic or hate clutch shifting of manual but want to change your own gears, it is great.  If you drive manual and like manual, you'll most likely hate it.

So for the automatic people of the world it is great.  :D

Just my 10 cents.[/b]
That is exactly what I meant also. There is nothing like a really good manual gearbox...but if you're into automatic, then this would be a good choice instead of the ordinary automatic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Transmission / Shifter'

QUOTE
Originally posted by Steve 6er
                 
I've seen that also. But now the pics are gone...perhaps the're saving it for the 4WD, I think I've read that somewhere.

/Steve

PS. It's a tiptronic/steptronic alright. That is an excellent kind of transmission.[/b]
Yes, it's going to be 5-speed and available only with 4WD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replying to Topic 'Transmission / Shifter'

QUOTE
Originally posted by Sigvard


            QUOTE
Originally posted by Steve 6er
                 
I've seen that also. But now the pics are gone...perhaps the're saving it for the 4WD, I think I've read that somewhere.

/Steve

PS. It's a tiptronic/steptronic alright. That is an excellent kind of transmission.[/b]
Yes, it's going to be 5-speed and available only with 4WD.[/b][/quote]

Damn!! I've always been a 5-speed sports car person, but the sedan (ie. familymobile) we get is going to have an automatic for my wife. For a while, I thought the '6 would get a point or two for a tiptronic. :sarc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replying to Topic 'Transmission / Shifter'

QUOTE
Originally posted by applejax


            QUOTE
Originally posted by Sigvard


            QUOTE
Originally posted by Steve 6er
                 
I've seen that also. But now the pics are gone...perhaps the're saving it for the 4WD, I think I've read that somewhere.

/Steve

PS. It's a tiptronic/steptronic alright. That is an excellent kind of transmission.[/b]
Yes, it's going to be 5-speed and available only with 4WD.[/b][/quote]

Damn!! I've always been a 5-speed sports car person, but the sedan (ie. familymobile) we get is going to have an automatic for my wife. For a while, I thought the '6 would get a point or two for a tiptronic. :sarc [/b][/quote]

Plus two points for the Passat, minus two for the '6...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Transmission / Shifter'

My understanding is that the 4 cylinder equipped 6's will get a Mazda-sourced 4 speed automatic. The 6 cylinder 6 (is that confusing or what?) will get a JATCO 5 speed with manumatic.
From the CarsEverything Article:
QUOTE
The FN four-speed automatic transmission is designed for use with the new 4-cylinder range, up to the 2.3-liter engine. The highly responsive, smooth shifting nature of the transmission has been optimized to match the engine's character.  
Crisp, smooth gear changes for increased passing and merging performance - elements of Mazda's DNA - are achieved on the 4-speed automatic with the addition of a new oil pressure control module. Gear train receives a new heat treating technology, refined lubricant system and enhanced computer controls, enabling the transmission to handle Mazda's high powered 2.3-liter 4-cyl. without increasing the weight or size of the transaxle.  
A JATCO 5-speed transaxle is fitted to V-6 equipped models. Its robust construction is ideal for the higher torque output of this engine. Smooth shifting quality for its specific application in Mazda 6 was a priority in its design configuration.[/b]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replying to Topic 'Transmission / Shifter'

QUOTE
Originally posted by kenoka


            My understanding is that the 4 cylinder equipped 6's will get a Mazda-sourced 4 speed automatic.  The 6 cylinder 6 (is that confusing or what?) will get a JATCO 5 speed with manumatic.  
From the CarsEverything Article:
QUOTE
The FN four-speed automatic transmission is designed for use with the new 4-cylinder range, up to the 2.3-liter engine. The highly responsive, smooth shifting nature of the transmission has been optimized to match the engine's character.  
Crisp, smooth gear changes for increased passing and merging performance - elements of Mazda's DNA - are achieved on the 4-speed automatic with the addition of a new oil pressure control module. Gear train receives a new heat treating technology, refined lubricant system and enhanced computer controls, enabling the transmission to handle Mazda's high powered 2.3-liter 4-cyl. without increasing the weight or size of the transaxle.  
A JATCO 5-speed transaxle is fitted to V-6 equipped models. Its robust construction is ideal for the higher torque output of this engine. Smooth shifting quality for its specific application in Mazda 6 was a priority in its design configuration.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Can you post a link to, or the article itself? I don't see a reference to a manumatic...unless it relates to my next question:

Is a 5-speed transaxle a 5-speed automatic (in this case, at least)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Replying to Topic 'Transmission / Shifter'

QUOTE
Originally posted by Gujustud


            Garbage!  I'd only get the car if it was STRICKLY manual...[/b]
It's all because of my wife!! Honestly!! (as applejax blushes and hides his face)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Transmission / Shifter'

QUOTE
The way I like to put it is, if you drive automatic or hate clutch shifting of manual but want to change your own gears, it is great. If you drive manual and like manual, you'll most likely hate it.[/b]
how about SMG?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Replying to Topic 'Transmission / Shifter'

Damnit!! I saw a reference to the '6 having the tiptronic, and now I forget where I saw it!

The plot thickens...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Transmission / Shifter'

QUOTE
Originally posted by applejax


            Damnit!!  I saw a reference to the '6 having the tiptronic, and now I forget where I saw it!  

The plot thickens...[/b]
Well, the image is "everywhere", this is off the swedish mazda-site (www.mazda.se)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Replying to Topic 'Transmission / Shifter'

QUOTE
Originally posted by Steve 6er


            QUOTE
Originally posted by applejax


            Damnit!!  I saw a reference to the '6 having the tiptronic, and now I forget where I saw it!  

The plot thickens...[/b]
Well, the image is "everywhere", this is off the swedish mazda-site (www.mazda.se)



[/b][/quote]

Interesting...And this is only the 4WD version? And I notice a remote that strongly looks factory, and as it's on Mazda's website, I assume it is. And this remote is for what? Navigation? Stereo?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Transmission / Shifter'

QUOTE
Originally posted by applejax


            QUOTE
Originally posted by Steve 6er


            QUOTE
Originally posted by applejax


            Damnit!!  I saw a reference to the '6 having the tiptronic, and now I forget where I saw it!  

The plot thickens...[/b]
Well, the image is "everywhere", this is off the swedish mazda-site (www.mazda.se)



[/b][/quote]


Interesting...And this is only the 4WD version? And I notice a remote that strongly looks factory, and as it's on Mazda's website, I assume it is. And this remote is for what? Navigation? Stereo?[/b][/quote]

The remote is for the navigation system (and the DVD).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Transmission / Shifter'

I think I can clear up the confusion here. I'm nearly certain that we are mixing up the US and JDM/European versions here.
For the JDM/European version-there are several separate 4 cylinder engines. All of these have the Mazda built 4 speed automatic. Only the AWD version has the tiptronic/manumatic feature.
For the US version, the 6 cylinder has the JATCO 5 speed tranny, which has the tiptronic/manumatic feature.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top