Mazda 6 Forums banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
$6k is about right for a stealer replace with a new transmission.

BTW if you actually managed to get him down to that price he's losing money on it, assuming it's a new transmission -- which it probably is not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
$6k is about right for a stealer replace with a new transmission.

BTW if you actually managed to get him down to that price he's losing money on it, assuming it's a new transmission -- which it probably is not.
I actually called Mazda customer service and spoke with them over the course of 3 or 4 days several times and explain to them that you know this was not going to Bode well for them when that word of mouth got around that they're Transmissions were failing at 62 Grand right after Warranty and all that and so it could be that they gave me like a rebuilt, but they said it was new.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
60,200 ish at the time of the failure.
That is about 100,000 km and that will be equivalent to four years of my ownership. It is indeed a very short life!

Someone here was able to reach close to 300,000 km before breaking the transmission. I think you are the first here to have that failure in such mileage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's apparently not terribly uncommon but not common enough to become a recall from speaking to two different service managers at the same dealership where I had the replacement done, there were approximately 6000 service bulletins which could be anything from hey we found this problem to hey here's a little more information about this problem but he said around the 10,000 service bulletins Mark is when they start considering it for recall from what he understood the second service manager that I spoke to that is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do happen to know the new service manager there which is a third service manager in the past 4 ish years, I recently spoke to him and he is going to get me some information regarding the problem so that I can understand it a little better and look to fix it myself if it happens again.

If I am able to get ahold of any specific information I'll be happy to post it here for others to enjoy.

·
Rally Racer
2,546 Posts
My thoughts.
MTX- low friction. Moisture is likely the biggest enemy. Perhaps 100,000mi+ interval
ATX- high friction. Shearing is likely biggest enemy. 50,000mi (initial multi-exchange) then 30,000mi (single drain) interval. Filter (if available) at each exchange.

I realize this means a bit more expense but I reckon if the car lasts an extra year because the transmission didn't fail I just saved myself $3600 ([email protected]$300) minus (1yr oil @ $10).

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
My policy on autotragics.....

1. If I can get the pan off reasonably (most of the time, ex some GM products) then I change the fluid and filter ASSUMING FULL SYNTHETIC FLUID at 30k initially, then at 60k again and, assuming normal service, on 30-50k mile intervals.

2. On the second and subsequent I will drive it a bit and then if there is a drain bolt (again, other than GM which usually has them but they're Red Locktited in and will NOT come out unless you get out a torch, which risks damaging the pan) my oil sucker goes down the fill pipe, I extract all the fluid I can via that route (usually about 3 quarts) and then refill it again. This probably results in a change of ~75% of the fluid, since the torque converter holds some that will not drain.

Never, ever use a flushing machine. The problem isn't (as often presumed) that they "knock things loose." It's that they're damn near impossible to completely clean after use and as such you're blowing UNFILTERED, PROBABLY CONTAMINATED fluid into the working parts of the transmission PLUS, quite possibly, some of the WRONG fluid (chemically incompatible.) That's just begging for a failure -- don't do it.

BTW on MTXs my policy is to drain and refill every 50k miles. They're easy to do, all the fluid comes out, and it's reasonably cheap and doesn't take long at all. On the SkyActiv MTXs the crush washers for sealing on the plugs are aluminum and thus one-time-use, so you need to buy two new ones when you do the MTX -- $10 maybe at the dealer, but if you try to re-use them the bottom one WILL leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thought I would share my transmission story.
2014 Mazda 6 120,000kms. Had some weird transmission issues driving home the other day. Was driving for about 1 hour, stopped at a light and in 'drive' but nothing but revving. Had to turn off the car, then it went about a block and it did the same thing. Had to turn the car off to get it in gear. Probably an electrical problem of some sort. Finally got it into my garage, and left it.
The next day, drove my wife's car to Mazda and picked up 4 litres of transmission fluid (FZ) and an air filter. I asked if they had a transmission filter, and they said 'no' and advised me against opening up the transmission - due to sealing issues, leaks, etc. He mentioned the dealership doesn't do this work either due to possible issues.
Next day pulled off the air filter housing (had to spray some WD-40 on the rubber mounts - as the housing did not want to lift off) checked the level of fluid, and it seemed OK, but was muddy looking like crankcase oil. Was a little concerned that the manual said the transmission holds 7.5L, but I only had 4 L of fluid.
Removed the bottom plastic cover to get at the transmission, and drained the fluid. Measured 3.5L, so replaced 3.5L of new fluid. It looked much cleaner with a blue colour.
Changed the air filter while I was there. Put everything back together and took it for a test drive. It has been driving fine, without issue for the last few days.
May bring it into the shop to have them check to code, as the problem could return. I changed the transmission fluid after reading lots of online advice.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts