Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This makes me pretty sad :(

Last week my car started popping out of 2nd gear in traffic. This weekend I took it to a parking lot to try and reproduce the problem. I was able to get it to consistantly pop out of 2nd. It only appears to happen when you let off the gas and decelerate in 2nd. Sometimes it only pops out half way between neutral and 2nd and and drags on some gears. I have to pull it out to neutral to get it to go back in. If I put load on the gear it stays engaged no problem. It got to the point where I had to hold it in second when I let off the gas. The stick begins to vibrate more and more as I hold it and sometimes "pops" and makes a loud grind as if it misses a few teeth and catches again, very violently. I've never had any problems with shifting into that gear or any mis-shifts previously. Seems to be the 2nd gear synchronizer failing, I took a drive with a tech and he seems to think the same.

I have also noticed that sometimes when I downshift from 5th or 6th to 4th I get a slight scratch in the gearbox at highway speeds going into 4th. Almost as if the clutch doesn't quite disengage all the way. Anyone else experience this?

Dropped it off with Mazda this morning and they said they will have it at least a week because "Mazda's Tech Line" will probably want to come out and take a look at it. Poor car is going to have to have the transmission pulled.
Off to sport the loaner Tribute! :yesnod: woohoo!

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
The Tribute is a BEAST! Enjoy yourself. :) Sorry to hear about the tranny. Hope they replace the whole thing. Nothing like new parts. :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
interesting keep us posted!

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeash ive had probs getting it into 2nd it will grind and i have to wait while it gets in there sucks ass when im handing out beat down to mbw's.....

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got a call from the dealer, it went a little something like this....
"Got some news on your car. Second gear is TOAST and we have ordered a new unit from Japan but don't have an ETA on it."

So I've got a new transmission headed my way...

huntero, take it in if you feel the need, maybe its not just mine.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Just got a call from the dealer, it went a little something like this....
"Got some news on your car. Second gear is TOAST and we have ordered a new unit from Japan but don't have an ETA on it."

So I've got a new transmission headed my way...

huntero, take it in if you feel the need, maybe its not just mine.
[/b]
wow, what have u been doing?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats the thing, I'm not sure. There must have been a defect somewhere.
I drive it just like the other 3 MTX cars I have owned.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thats the thing, I'm not sure. There must have been a defect somewhere.
I drive it just like the other 3 MTX cars I have owned.
[/b]
I've had mine clash a couple of times shifting into second as well. I would have hoped Mazda would put a strong tranng in it seeing as its their most powerful vehicle. I assume they are fixing it under warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah the tran, doesnt like the ruff stuff. you have to go easy on it no hard shifting the car handles like crap when you do.
I'll be calling the dealer tonight im do for my oil change so ill have them look at it at the same time...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Alan, how many miles did you have logged before the problem presented itself?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
yeash ive had probs getting it into 2nd it will grind and i have to wait while it gets in there sucks ass when im handing out beat down to mbw's.....
[/b]
Yes, I get that too! I even make sure the clutch is to the floor and it will still make a little bit of a scratch when going from 1st to 2nd. I don't know if that's just the nature of the beast or what. No problems in any other gears though!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is beginning to look more and more like a common deal. :(
Have right about 8,000 miles on it right now.

I'm beginning to wonder if it is the clutch since UTnick had his replaced. Maybe its not disengaging quick enough *shrug*

·
Registered
200 Posts
Same problem here 5K and scratch when going from 1st to 2nd. It is not there with low rpm's from 1st. No problems in other gears.

·
Registered
200 Posts
been noticing my 2nd and 3rd gear grind about 3 times now and I've got around 2000 miles on mine

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
No grinding here at 1,800 miles. However, when shifitng from 1st to 2nd I do feel a bit of a "quiver" in the shifter, almost like it's straining to engage the gear. I am not sure if this is normal or not. My 6s did not do this, and I believe it had double syncos on 1st and 2nd.

It hasn't grinded...yet.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No grinding here at 1,800 miles. However, when shifitng from 1st to 2nd I do feel a bit of a "quiver" in the shifter, almost like it's straining to engage the gear. I am not sure if this is normal or not. My 6s did not do this, and I believe it had double syncos on 1st and 2nd.

It hasn't grinded...yet.
[/b]
That "quiver" sounds a little too familiar.....

·
Registered
391 Posts

It hasn't grinded...yet.
[/b]
I thought the 6S had triple synchros on 1st - 3rd and double on 4th and 5th.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I thought the 6S had triple synchros on 1st - 3rd and double on 4th and 5th.
[/b]
It does. The Acura RSX-S has triples on 1st and 2nd, and it has a TSB for 2nd gear grinding/notchiness.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One thing to keep an eye on is your floor mat.

If it comes off the little clip, it can ride up under the clutch pedal and prevent full disengagement.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts