Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

I have been noticing (and hopefully its just my ignorance on the transmission) that when in fully automatic mode (like the AK-47 under my seat) J/k the transmission shifts itself pretty smoothly.. sometimes it feels like the car down shifts itself too quick however.... kinda of jerky, but no rough... is it just because I am used to a 4 cyl chevy cav and now im in a big boy 6? Anyone else notice this?

Also, when in sport manual, or manumatic, or whatever the hell the official name is, I notice that the gears shift easily both up and down.. except when going into first! I dont hear a loud clucnk when I put it into first, but I can definitely feel it, and it feels odd. I usually let the computer decide to put it in 1st because I feel like I am down shifting it too soon even though I have waited until the last second.

Anyways, does it sound like something is wrong? I hope not, the car is brand new!!!!! I would be so pissed.

I hope this post is just related to my inexperience with any form of a manual tranny clutch or no cluctch. Thgouths, suggestions, ways to better use the clutchless manual?

Thanks fellas!

Mike :D

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Transmission Problems.....'

I have the same "problem" on my 6s. I also noticed this when I test drove a 6i. Both sport automatics.

I guess it's normal.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Reading Topic: Transmission Problems.....

well you can feel it right before you come to complete stop it wil shift itself yes.. and i believe thats normal.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

i never ever ever ever shift to first gear when i'm downshiftin i leave it at second gear and when my car stops or at low speed the computer changes it to first gear usually i don't even feel it going to first

however if u manually downshift to first gear yes u get a clunk...car jerks i also try this in my friend rsx does the same thing

hope this helps i ddin't really read fully at ur post

·
Registered
895 Posts

If you guys drove a stick, you'd know what Ichi already does - you never downshift from 2nd into 1st as you're headed for a stop. A good jerk as you do so is absolutely normal because the engine can't compensate for that kind of RPM change in 1st gear.

Either let the engine do it for you, or if that's not an option wait until you're at a dead stop before you try manushifting it into 1st.

*Edit - this is for the manumatic shifter. There are some instances in a real MT where you would shift into first while rolling, but that's while you're in neutral (not possible in a clutchless design) and are able to match your RPMs in preparation for a quick launch. One more reason to get the real thing. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Arcanlaw,

Im originally from Elmira... i see your in B-Lo and weanted to give a hello to a fellow western New Yorker!

·
Registered
272 Posts

When I first start my car it seems like the engine power varies and sometimes it makes my shifting jerky but I think thats just the car warming up.

If I lay on the gas a certain way, there is a jerk from 1st into 2nd but I also believe its normal.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Originally posted by Arcanlaw

If you guys drove a stick, you'd know what Ichi already does - you never downshift from 2nd into 1st as you're headed for a stop.  A good jerk as you do so is absolutely normal because the engine can't compensate for that kind of RPM change in 1st gear.[/b]
I was going to mention the same thing. However, oftentimes even when in pure automatic mode, the shift from 2-1 is rough.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

1 is a gear that you should never really DOWNshift into until you're at a near-stop/stopped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts