Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So, I know there is a slight judder when I release the clutch. The service rep also noticed it while sitting in the passenger seat. My car's got almost 45K miles (I live in Canada so it's around 72,000kms). The reason I took it to the dealer was not because of the judder though, it's because at highway speeds, if I'm cruising along in a gear, say 4th gear, and I step on my gas pedal harder to accelerate, the RPMs shoot up about 1 to 2K revs and then drops back down to where it was before and then starts accelerating. The dealer told me that the clutch is slipping at high speeds and I'll need a new clutch. The thing I'm wondering here is if this can possibly be wear and tear or a defect that's been manifesting and then just came out all of a sudden cause I didn't have this problem before. I hear of clutches slipping because you ride it too much and stuff, but when I shift gears and start, there's still really good grabbing from the clutch and it's not slipping when I change gears. I just find it kinda hard to believe this is wear and tear. I just talked to my mechanic and he thinks it's the transmission itself that's slipping at high speeds because he says that the clutch will not slip when it's engaged and it seems more like a transmission problem. He says if the clutch slips like this, I probably shouldn't even be able to drive the car. If anyone's got any thing that can help me out, that would be greatly appreciated. The service manager said he'll talk to the district service rep. I really don't want to end up paying $2K CDN to get a new clutch. I don't even have enough money to do that so I can't even afford it right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually, nevermind. Someone posted a video clip of the clutch slipping and that's exactly what mine is doing.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I got the same news 2 weeks ago, but I am only at 35,000 miles. My dealer refused it as a warranty claim, so I am having a local mechanic install a ClutchMasters Stage 2 clutch.
When my mechanic drove my car, he refused to believe the clutch was slipping because of how well it grabs in first and second. But once he hit 3500 rpm in 3rd and watched it jump to 5000 rpm he said that was definately clutch slippage.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
When my mechanic drove my car, he refused to believe the clutch was slipping because of how well it grabs in first and second. But once he hit 3500 rpm in 3rd and watched it jump to 5000 rpm he said that was definately clutch slippage.
[/b]
That makes perfect sense for a slipping clutch. Taller gear ratios mean greater load on the engine and clutch. Most worn clutches start slipping in the highest gears first.

S

·
0 Posts
How did you make out with your clutch? My car (6 Wagon GT with GFX package) started doing the same thing but within two weeks it was slipping in 2-5th. Dealer says I need new clutch $1250 (plus tax), and not under warranty. Car has 63000km (about 40000mi) - I have been driving standards for 20 years and have never lost a clutch in less than double that. Factory rep is going to examine the clutch - (car used to be his - it was a demo). Just curious if you had any luck with getting Mazda to pay for any of it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Mine was fixed at ~25K. Same problem. And yes clutch will slip in higher gears first at low rpms.

Mind you the tech said that mine did not exhibit any sings of abuse, just wear and tear, but many have reported the clutch failing much earlier then any other car, myself lincluded have never lost a clutch before let alone so early. Good luck, there are a few that got it replaced under warranty with that high of a milage. Search this section well.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am currently running into the same exact problem. not until 3rd gear and right around 3500rpms if i accelerate hard(er) do i notice it jump up a couple thousand rpms and then drop back down and then climbing slowly back up like normal.
My dealer said it was the clutch, not under warranty since it's normal wear and tear, and quoted me $1080 for parts and labor. I called back because I read about the Clutchmaster Stage 2 and he said service was $900 to machine the flywheel and install the clutch... so the stock clutch he was selling for $180. I really don't want to spend that much. So i'm checking into local mechanics. Any info on this would be great! (and I am currently searching as well...)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't cruised this section of the forums for a while, but basically, I emailed Mazda Canada and talked to someone there as well and then went back and forth with the dealership. In the end, the costs were split 3 way by me, the dealer, and Mazda Canada, so I ended up only having to pay 1/3rd of the cost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts