Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I am new to Automatic transmissions and am looking at changing the ATF. I have been warned against changing burnt/dirty fluid as that could allow the transmission to fail if it is damaged. I do not know the full vehicle history but I do know the previous owner didn't change it. I got it with 167000 on the odometer and the last owner put over 100K on it. I do not know the original fluid color but here are the samples.

20200528_105118.jpg This is directly from the transmission. The light was adjusted for the best color match to reality.

20200528_112238.jpg This was after drying for 30 minutes.

Regarding usage, this car was driven for the last 100K on a 140 mile daily college commute all on interstate highway with cruise control. Any and all feedback is appreciated

·
Registered
223 Posts
If it was my car, I’d do the same as DrFeelGood would. That’s with the possible exception that I might do it 4 times total rather than three:)

If you’re interested in used oil analysis as a hobby, definitely go ahead and send in a sample. If you’re not interested as a hobby, you could do it as a service to the interested hobbyists here (LOL), or just skip it. The results won’t alter what the rest of us would do if it was our car, and at this point it really shouldn’t alter what you do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I was planning on changing it before starting to drive but wanted to get some educated opinions on its current condition. If the current fluid doesn't look to bad I will go ahead and replace it. I appreciate the responses. I probably will have more questions when the engine comes out next week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts