Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone to the dealer to get the shift shock problem fixed now 4 times. They are now telling me that I need to get a fluid flush and a filter for my tranny. This is going to be about 150 green backs that I do not have. Do I really need a fluid flush at 42000 miles? My brother said that is Scion Xb requires a fluid change at 90000mi. I am not even at half that, shouldn't the fluid last longer than it has? Do I really need to change the tranny filter at 42000? Maybe install an inline filter to make it easy and cheaper? I am definaltley going to do the drain as talked about on the tech site, but it still uses the same filter, how dirty can it really be right now? Thanks for the feedback.
Mike

·
Registered
510 Posts
if its the 4spd automatic, its possible. They get really hot and are hard on tranny fluid.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I assume your car is an ATX right?

Do you have a tranny cooler? If not, the fluid can go bad quickly. You should invest in a tranny cooler or do a drain/fill fluid every other oil change period.

·
Registered
900 Posts
This is going to be about 150 green backs that I do not have. Do I really need a fluid flush at 42000 miles? [/b]
Because of the problems that I have heard surround the 6's ATX, it would be a good idea to do a real flush every 30,000 miles. Fluid deterioration is the root cause of most transmission woes (even where it's own engineering may be lacking).

I have a ton of experience surrounding BG Products (LINK). I used their machine to do a flush on my '03 Expedition at 30,000 miles and have had no problems out of it. The shifts are great even when towing our boat. I'm getting ready to do my 60K svc in about a month, or so and I'll be flushing it again. If you do the BG flush the shop (LINK) will use a conditioner that is added to the ATX fluid afterwards to boost it's base properties. You can also add a can of this conditioner between flush (recommend no more than every 15,000 miles) to maintain the fluid's integrity. The cool thing about BG's machine is that it uses the pressure from your transmission to do the flush through your car's trans cooler lines so it is very accurate and non-invasive.

Maintenance is a good thing, but what worries me about your post is that your dealer may be trying to "mask" an actual problem (which putting fresh fluid in could do) until you get out of warranty. If possible, I'd get a second opinion on your transmission, then, if it looks OK, do the flush and enjoy the renewed performance!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about the filter?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts