Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie here and just got my 6 this January. Its a used 6 with ~18'000 miles on it initially.

Been driving it happily for almost 8 months and a few weeks back, when the weather started to get colder, my tranny decided to gimme a punch in the back in the morning when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Once the tranny warms up, then everything is fine.

I tried warming the car up for about 5 minutes but no use. I checked the ATF and its fine, not very pink, but fine.

Going to send the car to the dealer to check it up (still under warranty) but just wanted to see if anybody has seen this issue before and what could be causing it ?

Thanks for any inputs, Zhi

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have this same problem on my 05 6i, it only does it for me when the tranny is pretty cold. Usually I drive in manual mode, and shift under 2k rpm's for a couple minutes, and by then the tranny has warmed up some to make the smoother shifts.

Remember though, that I think the tranny doesn't warm up until you actually use it, so letting the car idle probablly wouldn't do anything until you start moving the wheels :)

I haven't found a remedy for this though, if someone knows one then I'd like to hear as well :)

it would be interesting to hear what mazda has to say about it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i had teh exact same problem, took it to mazda they hooked it up to a computer, updated my software, and i dont have it anymore. realitivly quick fix

·
Registered
128 Posts
Its Shift Shock. Its been a known problem in the 6 for years. The reflashes sometimes seem to help some people but there isn't really a sure fix for it. If you let the car warm up and shift back and forth using manumatic, it seems to help a bit. I usually switch to second gear in manumatic at a stop and try not to use 1st for a minute or 2 (only on really cold days)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow wow wow... so its not just me that sees this issue

now, just to be sure, you guys are all experiencing a really bad 'kick' in the butt when it shifts from 1st to 2nd right ? not just a bump..

interesting that Mazda hasn't done anything about it. Does anyone with the 06 model face this ? or those with the 05 but the 5 speed tranny ?

I'm not sending it back to Mazda but to the used car dealer that I"m still under warranty with, will see what they say first and then suggest sending to Mazda for that ecu flash.

thanks guys for your posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
@30k, you are overdue for an ATF flush. Have the ATF flushed and then start a regular maintanance regimen. This transmission is tough on ATF.

After the complete ATF flush, since the vehicle has a drainplug(6i right?), practice a simple drain/refill once or twice a year to keep it fresh.

Keep the ATF fresh and cool(install aftermarket cooler), make sure you have the lastest software rev, and you will have a reasonable well performing AT.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my dealer decided to send it back to Mazda. I know I don't have the latest ECU flashes. Will see what happens when it comes back.

Does anybody know what does Mazda recommend in terms of flushing the ATF ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the exact same problem. Simply take the car to the dealer, and they will reflash your transmission control unti with the latest software. This will solve the problem. There was another thread about this (for 2005 6i 4-speed ATX) but it disappeared.

Also, for long term transmission care, drain and refill your ATF with a high quality ATF at the very least if you do not want to install a transmission cooler. Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is a full synthetic ATF which is Mercon V certified and is available over the counter at part stores.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats what the Mazda guys did, they flashed and updated the ECU. Will be getting the car back tonight so will see if it works tomorrow morning.

I guess I'll drain the transmission after this with the Mobil 1 ATF.

Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
391 Posts
zhi6 let me know if this fixed your problem :) Maybe it's time for me to go back to the dealer and ask about this problem as well!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wow fluid flush at 30k miles? I thought I read most people doing this at 50+? I could be wrong though :p
[/b]
Actually Mazda the company doesn't have a recommended flush or change period for Transmission Fluid for the Mazda 6. The dealerships however will push the service every 30k.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have an 05 Mazda 6i and mine shifted hard from 1st to 2nd gear. So, I finally took it in to the dealership they said they had a recall on it and reprogrammed the computer or something. Works great now. No hard shift from 1st to 2nd. Use to mainly happen when it was cold too.

Later,

Will

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
out of curiosity, will a transmission cooler void the vehicle warranty in any way?

·
Registered
919 Posts
No it will not. I also have a trans. cooler on my 6, and i feel more secure with it on considering the heat issues on this ATX, and the fact that i live in FL, which doesn't help. I've also done 3 drain-refills with Redline D4, and put in Lubegard platinum. I find that all the things that i've done contribute to a smoother, better protected trans. :thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the dealer flashed my ECU and after that its gone. There is still some slight bucking if its not warmed up properly and there usually is a buck from 2nd to 3rd but nothing alarming

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an 05 6s with the 6 speed atx. This happens between 2nd and 3rd for me. Had it reflashed to no avail. Took it to 2nd dealership and the trans is being replaced. I have a post on this in this section. Read it and add to it please. I would like to know how many people are having problems. Then I will take this info and post it in the ideas for Mazda section of this forum. If the 6 fans are having problems, maybe they (Mazda) will listen.

Kev

1 - 20 of 27 Posts