Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2006 Mazda 6 3.0. Having some transmission problems! When coming down a hill usually in 5th gear going into 4th it feels like the car shifted down to early, you start to hear that real loud whining from the tranny. Also, going up a hill in 6th it feels like it wants to go into 5th to give you that extra umff, but it just slips until it finally sticks to 5th and catches. Any suggestions? Thanks!

"PS: does anyone know what type of coolant I should use I know theres a bunch of types this car could use but I want whats closest to OEM as possible!"

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,585 Posts
So I have a 2006 Mazda 6 3.0. Having some transmission problems! When coming down a hill usually in 5th gear going into 4th it feels like the car shifted down to early, you start to hear that real loud whining from the tranny. Also, going up a hill in 6th it feels like it wants to go into 5th to give you that extra umff, but it just slips until it finally sticks to 5th and catches. Any suggestions? Thanks!

"PS: does anyone know what type of coolant I should use I know theres a bunch of types this car could use but I want whats closest to OEM as possible!"
Hello again.
When was the last time the trans fluid was replaced? I would take a look at it and give it a smell. I believe the 6spd uses JWS3309 fluid and that is red in appearance. If it looks reddish to reddish-brown it is likely okay. If it appears brown to brownish black it is due for replacement. If it smells burnt, the trans is likely on its way out. Wipe a little on a paper towel to check the color.

I would replace the fluid if you do not know the history, or if it hasn't been done in the last 60,000miles or so. If it has never been done, then I would follow the drain and refill three times approach.

As for engine coolant, I have always use dealer equipped for mine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello again.
When was the last time the trans fluid was replaced? I would take a look at it and give it a smell. I believe the 6spd uses JWS3309 fluid and that is red in appearance. If it looks reddish to reddish-brown it is likely okay. If it appears brown to brownish black it is due for replacement. If it smells burnt, the trans is likely on its way out. Wipe a little on a paper towel to check the color.

I would replace the fluid if you do not know the history, or if it hasn't been done in the last 60,000miles or so. If it has never been done, then I would follow the drain and refill three times approach.

As for engine coolant, I have always use dealer equipped for mine.
Thanks for your reply! The tranny fluid was flushed and changed 7,000 miles ago!

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,585 Posts
Thanks for your reply! The tranny fluid was flushed and changed 7,000 miles ago!
Oh okay. Do you know if the transmission was forward or backward flushed? If any type of flushing is to be used I would only consider forward as a remotely reasonable option. Increasing internal pressures beyond what the transmission would normally encounter (especially if it is the opposite direction of typical fluid flow) introduces the risk of dislodging stuck material where it can move to clog a previously open passage.
What you are describing sounds like it could be an issue with shift solenoid(s) or failing clutches. Since you had the unit "flushed" recently (generally not advisable) I am lead to believe it may be an obstruction in one of the internal passageways. Clutch damage could also be possible but given the temperamental and erratic shifting behavior, I am inclined to think pressure monitoring issues with an internal fluid passage over mechanical clutch wear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh okay. Do you know if the transmission was forward or backward flushed? If any type of flushing is to be used I would only consider forward as a remotely reasonable option. Increasing internal pressures beyond what the transmission would normally encounter (especially if it is the opposite direction of typical fluid flow) introduces the risk of dislodging stuck material where it can move to clog a previously open passage.
What you are describing sounds like it could be an issue with shift solenoid(s) or failing clutches. Since you had the unit "flushed" recently (generally not advisable) I am lead to believe it may be an obstruction in one of the internal passageways. Clutch damage could also be possible but given the temperamental and erratic shifting behavior, I am inclined to think pressure monitoring issues with an internal fluid passage over mechanical clutch wear.
Forward flushed! And what would you recommend I do to the tranny? I try to drive easy on it and make it shift as slow as possible. Like cruising down a hill instead of braking and making it shift to early or, give it a little more when it's trying to switch from 6th to 5th to get up a hill.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,585 Posts
Also when I put it in manual, it drives like a dream.
This final bit makes me think that you may have a malfunctioning shift governor. I will be the first to admit I do not know that much about automatic transmissions however.
Perhaps someone else can chime in with troubleshooting ideas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts