Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never started a new thread but I'm not sure what to do. I've read everything available online on this issue. My TC started the leak in January with about 60k on her. I had the seals replaced for $1100 by Rosenthal Mazda in Tyson's Corner, VA (always have been good to me.).
It's leaking again now with 74k on her, and there are shavings in the drained fluid. Today and tomorrow they are replacing the seals again for free, and they'll update me as to the extent of the damage.
I suppose I'm asking if I should buy an extended warranty for a couple k for when something blows up soon or should I get rid of this car before that happens? I really can't picture myself giving them 3-4k for a car I hardly drive.

-only mods are SRI/TIP, it's not my DD

Thanks to all

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
I wouldn't buy an extended warranty for this car, and especially not for the PTO/Transfer Case.

On Car-Part.com you can pick up a used 2007 CX-7 PTO for ~$200, in A condition and ~40-50K miles on it. Same basic part as the Speed6. You can install it in your garage in a weekend and save over a grand compared to the dealer doing the work.

Car-Part.com Search Results

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Makes me wanna buy a used one to keep as a spare. Hopefully I can find one at a good price here in Canada.

It's interesting that your dealer "fixed" it once and it leaked again. Hopefully they will stand behind their work and do more than just a re-seal if there is actual damage. Worst case, as Ti told you, these things don't seem to be very expensive used. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
200 is doable, but I read a few times that some ms6 owners had theirs replaced with a redesigned TC, rather than the same one that may still leak?

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
I'm not aware of a Mazda design change. There is somebody on MSF that has redesigned bearing end caps that help if you're putting out massive power, but that's it really.

Even the link above, the CX7 is ever so slightly different than the Speed6, and depending on which version you get, may or may not need some massaging to make it work. Well worth any extra effort for the price difference (you can look up the Speed6 version on Car-Part.com to see the difference in price)

There are complete PTO tear downs with pics, and CX-7 PTO conversions all detailed over on MSF.

FWIW, I wouldn't hesitate to drop in a CX7 PTO.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
So, it is as easy as taking a little additional massaging to make the CX-7 unit fit?!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Shit, with the $700 I might have saved, I could have paid to become a licensed masseur!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
How much leaking? I mean if it's just leaking a little out the top, it can easily be topped off once in a while, it shouldn't be misting like the engine.. I've heard it was crappy casting that's doing it, so it will basically be on all of em.

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
If would be nice to know if CX-7 cases other than 2007 will work... The last post on that thread (as of today) says the guy used a 2008 cx7 TC. Not sure about newer models.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much leaking? I mean if it's just leaking a little out the top, it can easily be topped off once in a while, it shouldn't be misting like the engine.. I've heard it was crappy casting that's doing it, so it will basically be on all of em.
I'd be fine with that too, but anyone ever have the shavings in there? The tech was trying to tell me but is tough to understand with an accent sometimes. I'll check with him again today.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
You basically have dust, shavings or shrapnel.

Dust looks like very fine grained sand or powder, and a very small amount is perfectly normal wear. Any more than just a bit likely means that there's too much friction and you may experience wear related problems earlier than normal. Consider a heavier fluid.

Shavings you want to picture like whittling wood, or shaving chocolate, but typically much smaller, about splinter sized. Most often from a hard metal, like a gear, touching a softer metal like the aluminum case. This indicates tolerances at some location have been lost and things that shouldn't touch, touched. It will get worse as the problem is often progressive. Tear it apart and look for the contact area, replace all bearings and any worn drives as needed, or, better, replace the entire PTO.

Shrapnel. Chunks. Often used with words like "destroyed", "epic", "total failure" and "flat bed tow truck". 'Nuff said...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Reports vary, but the most often cited source (including where I think my TC is leaking) is from the passenger side axle seal. Second most cited source is the mating surface of the two halves of the TC. Some people claim the leak comes through the aluminum due to its pourosity (sp?).
-a

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Reports vary, but the most often cited source (including where I think my TC is leaking) is from the passenger side axle seal. Second most cited source is the mating surface of the two halves of the TC. Some people claim the leak comes through the aluminum due to its pourosity (sp?).
-a
I'm pretty sure mine doesn't leak from the passenger side axle seal - there are no signs of fluid there. I think mine is leaking from the mating surface, but I'm not sure where exactly.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Time to get down there with some brake cleaner & make it shiny, then check again the next day.

Not that it matters since you'll probably have to split the case to seal it up anyway... :)

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Time to get down there with some brake cleaner & make it shiny, then check again the next day.

Not that it matters since you'll probably have to split the case to seal it up anyway... :)
Yeah I might do the reseal before next summer. Would be a fun little project for me....

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
The TSB addressed a leak at the seal at the housing halves.

FWIW, I always thought mine seeped. But, after I got in and tore everything out, it ended up being the lower oil return pipe at the turbo that'd been seeping since I removed and re-installed my turbo a few years ago. It oozed all the way down and coated the bottom on my PTO.

I think I made $2 when I scrapped my bombed PTO at the scrap metal yard a couple of weeks ago. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
The TSB addressed a leak at the seal at the housing halves.

FWIW, I always thought mine seeped. But, after I got in and tore everything out, it ended up being the lower oil return pipe at the turbo that'd been seeping since I removed and re-installed my turbo a few years ago. It oozed all the way down and coated the bottom on my PTO.

I think I made $2 when I scrapped my bombed PTO at the scrap metal yard a couple of weeks ago. LOL
When I upgraded my turbo I didn't see any signs of leaks around the oil return line, and I've had the TC leak for a long time. So I think my problem is in the TC seal somewhere.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts