Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some spyshots of my torque brace 90% finished. There are still kinks here and there that need to be worked out. Unfortunately the pictures don't do it justice and you'd almost have to see it in person to understand how it works.. I think. The setup right now allows for a very small amount of movement for driveability and comfort but will come with a special tool so the driver can change it at the track or dragstrip so it is unable to move at all.

[attachmentid=12048]

[attachmentid=12049]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol. youve got your ways to do things, they look ghetto, but they work.
[/b]
Thanks Arch. You have to look at it like this, the guy who made the other torque brace a few months ago had it CNC'ed and painted and looking all pretty.....and it didn't work.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Look at it like this, the guy who made the other torque brace a few months ago had it CNC'ed and painted and looking all pretty.....and it didn't work.
[/b]

im not harpin' on ya bro :)

he was kinda retarded tho, and changed the hole position without a car to verify it with, he was designing somthing without a car to work on. lol

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
yeah, think i'd need to see it to understand a bit more. seems like this will still allow some of the movement, but again, not seeing how it works in my head yet.

ideally, somthing that would go to the firewall (which is why it won't work) and provides some sort of horizontal dampening of the engine would be best. it's going to be interesting how this and some other options work out though.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I've been out testing this for awhile and the tranny shifts much smoother than before. It was twice as smooth as my tranny cooler install before and after. Acceleration also feels a bit better but not a lot. As far as vibration in-cab goes..The only time I was able to notice it was 0-10mph while in drive.

Tea, wanna help me test this? If you would like to participate pm me your address and I'll send it to you. Let me know your honest opinion.

·
Registered
780 Posts
DIY'er.. great job man.. i see how much the engine moves when u give it some gas, and hopefuly this brace does the job. and you're rite, u cant really tell how it works by the pictures? zoom out a bit, or maybe a movie??

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Intresting stuff. How easy/difficult would it be for the average guy to install it w/ just ramps? Or you need to jack up the tranny?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DIY'er.. great job man.. i see how much the engine moves when u give it some gas, and hopefuly this brace does the job. and you're rite, u cant really tell how it works by the pictures? zoom out a bit, or maybe a movie??
[/b]
Sorry I only have an old digital camera that doesn't do video. But I am going to do a great write-up after these hit the market.

Intresting stuff. How easy/difficult would it be for the average guy to install it w/ just ramps? Or you need to jack up the tranny?
[/b]
You don't need jacks or ramps of any kind for this install. You could almost install it with just one adjustable wrench.

Tea, the prototype for the firewall to block brace is done. Should be done by mid next week. It would have been done tommorow but I have finals this week!

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
sounds like something good to play with at the track especially. let me know how things come out, i think i'd be interested in helping test these things out if you want, but it's cool if you want someone more local as well.

though i think i get the basics of it after looking a bit more, a write up would help for sure.

i'll pm you my address incase you do want to do something down the road.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[attachmentid=12062]
Tea, one of the 2 designs I have for the firewall brace connects to the holes that are circled in the pic above. Do you think that the bolts are too small to just use these two holes and the force of the engine will rip these right out?

The other design adds a little more braces to 2 more holes but it'll require a lot more steel thus adding to the price. So I don't want to add more if I don't have to you know?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You don't need jacks or ramps of any kind for this install. You could almost install it with just one adjustable wrench.
[/b]
Excellent. How much vibration did you feel in the cabin/steering wheel after it was put on? This kind of product is what im looking for w/o making myself go crazy w/ everythign shaking.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
i don't know how strong the firewall is at that point at all? would have to look more, but i don't have my car, so that's hard to do.

i'll be able to help a bit more next week when i can look at my car for reference.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is why I'm so excited about this product. I can't feel any extra vibration except between 5-15mph. Of course there will be more testing to do but right now the product is adjustable for daily driving comfort or race conditions. you'll only need to have a wrench in the car to change it.

i don't know how strong the firewall is at that point at all? would have to look more, but i don't have my car, so that's hard to do.

i'll be able to help a bit more next week when i can look at my car for reference.
[/b]
oh I didn't know you didn't have your car. the bolt size of the 2 holes is about 1/4" which I think is pushing it as far as strength.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
yeah, haven't had my car for about 4 months, build engine done this week! so we'll see how much it moves now, or at least on the dyno we will.

i know i mounted a catchcan to that spot at one time, but i can't remember how strong the area is, for some reason i don't remember it being super thing/sturdy to hold up to that kind of abuse...but i don't remember well sometimes.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The final product is finished. It is adjustable so the daily drive isn't too rough and it can be rigid for the track or wherever you want it. I averaged it out and extra vibration will be noticed from 12-2 mph while braking or coasting, not accelerating. It can be noticed in the steering column and floor pan.

If your interested in buying this in a future group buy please post. NOTICE: This is not implying I am or will be selling this. This is purely to check interest.

The pic below is my last and best attempt at showing how it works. It is actually quite simple. The plates, shown on the sides of the pic, keep the tranny mounts from moving at all.
[attachmentid=12072]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
8 Participants
MrTea
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing