Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it will be possible to swap a 6-speed tranny from the new mazda speed6 that is going to come out, into a 2004 mazda 6s? Do you think it;ll work even if it comes off a 4cyl and put into a six cyl? If not, then ill just get the Cpe thing

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
LMAO so your compairing getting the CPE cold air which is like 500 bucks for a whole new tranny that would probably be like 4k+ Sell your 6 and go buy a vett.

On a side note do these trannies have the same bolt patern or a bell housing that is removable? Not that I want to change mine just an odd question that haunts me at nite when im naked with my jello...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I'm confused. The mazdaspeed6 will be manual only, so you must be talking about a manual tranny right? (Might mate up to an 04 6s MTX, but I sort of doubt it.)

What CPE thing are you talking about? If your talking about the shift kit (you were talking about tranny stuff...) Then that is for ATX only, and that would be your only ATX upgrade choice. The 6 speed ATX in the 05 6s will not work in an 04 without also changing the TCM and probably reprogramming the PCM. A dealer may be able to this, although I doubt if it's even supported at this point.

If your talking about the CPE MAFci package, go for it. You won't touch a tranny change for under 2 grand...

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
I love how everyone thinks, more is better in any scenario. Little do they all forget back in the day when they were listening to Guns N Roses growing up, Porsche was dropping the number of gears it's transmissions had for their performance models. From 5-spd manuals to 4-spd. Gearing, not number of gears, is what matters.

As for the pissing contest aspect of this swap, as stated, your probably going to blow near $2,500 just to get a transmisison, have to wait about 3 months while it's on backorder (A woman here had to wait 3 months for a windshield replacement on her 6 just a few months after it got released, imagine the wait you would run into for a car that's not even released yet and will only have limited production), then pay a shop at least $600 to swap the transmission in, somehow disable the AWD system on the transaxle and hope the CV axles still fit too. A little too much money spent in my mind just to be the only kid on the block with a MazdaSpeed6 6-spd manual in your 6, when it's actually probably killed off performance of your car in stock form.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Originally posted by SplitSecondSix@Jan 5 2005, 10:00 PM
Well, the gear ratios on those 4-spd Porsches were probably not tuned for everyday driving...
[snapback]343353[/snapback]​
Agreed and I hardly doubt he is looking for everyday driving comfort in his quest for the MS6 6-spd swap..

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
engine took like a month...another local member waited like 3 months for his 4 speed!

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
According to dealers the only way you'll be able to buy parts (not accessories) that are unique to the MazdaSpeed6 is if you supply a VIN that matches a MazdaSpeed. Buying a 6-speed from the MazdaSpeed6 wouldn't even be possible and if it was it would be incredibly expensive and you'd probably wait a good 6 months to get one.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Plus, its not even a close ratio 6 speed. The first 5 gears are probably similar to what is in the s or i right now. Hence, no performance advantage. All you'd be getting is an extra overdrive gear for highway cruising.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts