Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Cable ordered and picked up.
I got my new shifter cable, I attempted to install it a couple hrs before work this morning...fail! I got the old cables disconnected, I just have to make room by moving things under the dash so I can pull the cable through the firewall...
uploadfromtaptalk1335370319736.jpg
I snatched out the insulation like stuff after moving the carpet to the side to access the two 10mm bolts.
uploadfromtaptalk1335370364236.jpg

Sent from my VZW Samsung Fascinate

·
Registered
20 Posts
This just happened to me this morning. Stuck in 2nd gear. Does someone have a good set of pictures for the process? I'd like to just do the hose clamp and zip tie solution, but I haven't been able to figure out what exactly gets clamped and how much I actually need to disassemble.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
This just happened to me this morning. Stuck in 2nd gear. Does someone have a good set of pictures for the process? I'd like to just do the hose clamp and zip tie solution, but I haven't been able to figure out what exactly gets clamped and how much I actually need to disassemble.

Thanks in advance.
Nonono this is not a solution and your cable will break, usually at the most inopportune time.

You need a new cable assembly

·
Registered
20 Posts
But I'm mere months away from trading my 2005 6i in for a new Mazda5 to fit the family. :( I didn't want to drop another $1200 (after having to do front brakes and rotors last month) on a $5000-6000 trade-in-value car.

Do I really have to pull apart the entire dash board et al to change it out?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I don't know if the speed 6 is different in that it has a proper trans/driveshaft tunnel on the floor. If you have manual air you should be able to get under the dash without removing and fish the cable through

·
Registered
20 Posts
The local mazda dealership quoted $525 + tax to replace the shift cable, so I'm going to go do that with a 10% off coupon. A little easier to swallow than the $1200 stated earlier in the thread.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I don't know if the speed 6 is different in that it has a proper trans/driveshaft tunnel on the floor. If you have manual air you should be able to get under the dash without removing and fish the cable through
True, on my 6s I didnt rip my dash out. Just pull the carpet aside from the driver side, then the insulation flap to access the cable's two bolts. It took forever though being my 1st time doing this (4 hrs ttl).

I later found out my loose clutch pedal assembly(moves left to right) contributed to my problem. The push rod on the clutch pedal wasn't extending enough to disengage The clutch when you push it down, made it hard to shift and cable plastic to break away from the bracket. I found the "clutch pedal adjustment mod" thread on here to adjust the rod for much better shifting! I refused to force shift and break my new cable so check your clutch pedals for side to side motions and consider adjust mod, if so.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I have the same issue. Clutch hose leaked and I had to rpm match the gears and eventually by the time i got home the shifter assembly broke.

Shop quoted $1000 for the repair. I had them fix the house and I went to home depot and bought some parts and made a bracket that held it in place.

So this is definitely a temporary fix. The cable must have been stretched because the gears aren't perfect. 1st, 3rd, 5th are still really soft. 2nd, 4th, and reverse are great. When i put it in gear, I hear and can feel click that lets me know it is properly in gear. I grinded third the other day thinking it was in gear.

I guess i am going to buy the part myself and call around to see who can install it for cheap. I was quoted 4-5 hours for the repair.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I paid $230 for my [email protected] mazmart. Call, ask for sheldon. The cable is oem...it took like 4hrs for me to install.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I initially broke mine racing a civic si, but then again i've been driving my 2004 6s hard since I bought it in 2007.

Edit: its my all purpose vehicle; daily driver, weekend warrior, and out of town travel car.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Mine was caused by a leaking clutch line and caused me to have to rpm match the gears to get home. Eventually It broke somewhere in the 20 mile journey trying to get home.

***Update***

$219 shipped for the cables. As soon as the rain stops I will try going underneath the dash to see if i can get to the bolts from there. Sucks I have to do it on a Sunday. I will try to document the whole process with pictures if it works.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Mine was caused by a leaking clutch line and caused me to have to rpm match the gears to get home. Eventually It broke somewhere in the 20 mile journey trying to get home.

***Update***

$219 shipped for the cables. As soon as the rain stops I will try going underneath the dash to see if i can get to the bolts from there. Sucks I have to do it on a Sunday. I will try to document the whole process with pictures if it works.
Wow, that's cheaper than my deal lol. Where did you get your cable?

I think the hardest part for me was feeding the new cable through the firewall. Moving things out the way for removal of the old cable wasn't that bad.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Check your clutch pedal assembly for cracks. Side to side flexing on the assembly will make it hard to shift also.
uploadfromtaptalk1343573367011.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1343573383313.jpg
I replaced mine and shifting is much better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need details on this bracket

Same thing happened to my daughter's '04 6.

I had some bits of stainless laying around, so we milled this up. My mate with the mill will shoot me if he sees what I did with the mounting part.... although I did clean it up a bit after this shot.

Key dimensions... hole 17mm. rebate area diameter 22mm. Lip thickness was 1.5mm. middle part of the "Z" was 23.5mm.

I can scan the drawing if anyone is interested.

I'm trying to get full details/dimensions on this hand crafted bracket as mine has broken too. Did anyone get the full detiails from "Bigfella" or from other similar designs. He had offered to send additional info if anyone was interested.
Sept 20, 2012 - Formula Mike

·
Registered
95 Posts
So I read through this and I am still a bit confused on exactly how to do this. I am a novice to car work and this recently happened to me where I can no longer use my second gear. So if anyone could be very explicit on how to replace or how to do a fix that would be awesome. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
On verge of blowing up or selling

Been reading up on this thread since my cable's seized Aug '12, been working on it here and there on weekends where im not busy (active military) and so far ive managed to get to the heater box...FML im at my witts end with this car, dont have the equip/$$/time to discharge then recharge the A/C, does anyone think a dealer will accept it at the point its at and continue the rest of the job for me?(im assuming they dont want to be liable if i damaged anything up to this point.) The view looks almost like BmorrisJ's top photo but with the support bar still attached across the middle, calling dealers tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
If its not too late

So I read through this and I am still a bit confused on exactly how to do this. I am a novice to car work and this recently happened to me where I can no longer use my second gear. So if anyone could be very explicit on how to replace or how to do a fix that would be awesome. thanks in advance!
I tried to attach the PDF of the Maintenance technical manual that i used to get this accomplished but it exceeds the allowed size, if you want to email me at [email protected] i will gladly send it to you. i have an 06 Mazda6i 5spd 2.3L

41 - 60 of 65 Posts