Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an exploded view of the shift lines on top of the tranny. I broke a piece and need to order it but it is hard to explain. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I am looking for an exploded view of the shift lines on top of the tranny. I broke a piece and need to order it but it is hard to explain. Any help would be appreciated.[/b]
Are you referring to the plastic part of the shift linkage on the tranny? Mine is busted as well, but it's rigged up with zip ties and a hose clamp, been holding for a year. You can only get the entire shift linkage assembly, from the shifter all the way to the tranny and the cheapest I've heard of is $250. That's why I haven't done it yet and I'm not sure how simple it would be to replace myself.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yep mine too. Last night why would they make something that breaks so easily out of plastic.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the zip ties have failed and now I only have 2nd and 4th gears. I have the shift cables on order as well as new throw-out and pilot bearings. I have the exploded views incase anyone is interested and I have found them at www.mazdapontiacgmcparts.net for $188.00 + shipping. they will take a few weeks to ship because mazda does not think this part will break very easily. HA!!

I'll upload the pics if anyone needs them.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Well, the zip ties have failed and now I only have 2nd and 4th gears. I have the shift cables on order as well as new throw-out and pilot bearings. I have the exploded views incase anyone is interested and I have found them at www.mazdapontiacgmcparts.net for $188.00 + shipping. they will take a few weeks to ship because mazda does not think this part will break very easily. HA!!

I'll upload the pics if anyone needs them.[/b]
I found that zip ties would only last me a thousand miles or so. I'm currently running on a hose clamp + zip ties, been working fine for about 20,000 miles now.....

·
Registered
606 Posts
changing out the shift cables looks to be very difficult...

[attachment=33804:ShiftCables.jpg]

it sez to remove the entire dash as part of the procedure - no way!

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
I dont think so, i still have the stock shifter. I i think that it is caused by poor engineering. The cable end is made out of plastic and the only mechanical stop is in the transmission. this allows the shifter and cable to flex and shift around causing stress on the cable end. I am of the mindset, if factory parts beak that easily, then factory parts are going to break easily again. For my fix i fabricated a strong metal bracket to hold it to the tranny. i basically took a recanglular piece of steel, cut a C shaped notch in one end to slide around the cable at the point where the steel meets the plastic on the cable end. there is a groove that is deep and wide enough for the bracket to slide into and hold securely. i bent 2 90' bends in the bracket and bolted it to the stock cable mount flange. then made a smaller notched plate to slide up from the bottom to lock it all together. if you are mechanically inclined, and have all the tools i think you can make this in about 2 hours and save a ton o'cash.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I have replaced my shift cables. I don'ty recommend anyone to do it. It is a serious PITA!!!. Without removing the dash, the area is so tight that you can barely fit a finger in there ti loosen the 2 nuts. I don't even have big hands. On the plus side, they are very flexible and they can be bent very hard without getting out of shape. I had a terrible time getting them under the center concole as well.

I do not recommend anyone to do this as it took me 4hrs to figure it all out and I even found a new box that covers the cables as well that neede to be removed.

The new cable are plastic as well and just as flimsy. I even broke the old cables when I tried to unclamp them. Use whatever you can to fix them in place. The metal cable inside the rubber tube is rock solid and takes a lot to break but the plastic SUX!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey man is there any way u could take a pic of ur stuff the way u did it cause man that shit at the dealer is alot so i was going to try what u did so man pleasse help me out please i need some bad so hit me back okay

·
Registered
169 Posts
I replaced my own Shifter cables on my 04 Mazda 6s... Part number is GK2C - 46- 500L... and the cables cost me 339.21. The dealership estimate to do the work was over 750 bucks...

warning though, you have to move your heater unit to get the cables, it's a biotch to do, took me 3 days.. because I was fumbling around a lot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is one of the crapiest designs ever and I think there are manufacturing issues where at one end of the tolerance there are a bunch of folks who get screwed. It has to do with the free play in the line and if you have too much, you can "overshift" and put stress on the bracket. I currently have mine done with zip ties as well but was considering designing a metal bracket to replace the cheap plastic POS housing on the cable (they used a sturdy plastic but inappropriate for this type of load, I assume this part of the car was designed by some guy just out of school). FTR as of October 2007 they were on revision J of this part, mine shipped (June 2004 build) with rev. B. So they know it's a problem but can't seem to fix it.

Mine was replaced three times under warranty and then went again about 20K out of warranty, when I went with the ziptie solution which has worked for about a year and a half. I do keep a full kit in the car to replace the zipties in an emergency though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive also been holding mine on with hose clamps and zip ties but it still pops off every 6 months or so.... Yesterday I lost my clutch master cylinder and throw out bearing during a mis-shift after it popped off again... Im at 110k so Im gonna replace the clutch too. I think ill go ahead and make a metal bracket, this is getting very annoying... I'll take pics and update later but it will be a few weeks cuase Im not in a hurry to work on a car winter weather...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Don't feel bad guys. I was on the way home from Lowes the other night, and my shift cable disconnected from the transmission after my 1-2 shift. I had to drive the rest of the way home, and into the garage in 2nd gear. I just got under the hood and popped the linkage back on. I'd just love to know why it pops off so easily. It doesn't look like the stoutest thing in the world.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This also happened to me. If anyone has Safety wire pliers i would recommend using .042 safety wire its strong and if u do it right it will last for a long time .032 did not last for more than 200 miles. I went to the dealer to see if i could get it under my warranty but i was over 50k so they wanted $1200 to do the job. i laughed in the guy's face and walked out, and used a piece of safety wire from work to do the job. If u don't have safety wire pliers you could use regular pliers but it will not twist it as tight as it should be. I would not recommend replacing it It probably broke because we are hard shifters so it will most likely break again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
sorry to bring a old thread back but this happened to me the other day also. currently being held on with a metal clothes hanger wire wrapped around it and some zip ties. was gonna order a new one but after finding out everyone elses problem im having second thoughts. thinking about engineering some sort of bracket also. stupid mazda engineers lol

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
QUOTE (Blazenem @ Jun 20 2009, 02:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1575249
sorry to bring a old thread back but this happened to me the other day also. currently being held on with a metal clothes hanger wire wrapped around it and some zip ties. was gonna order a new one but after finding out everyone elses problem im having second thoughts. thinking about engineering some sort of bracket also. stupid mazda engineers lol[/b]

dammit! always something, im tired of cheap plastic and spending money on what seemed like a solid car. . . i need a change

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Add me to the list of people 'powned by the shifter cable. My shifter cable snapped off on the way home last night and left me stuck in first gear. I bit the bullet and bought a new cable for $250 and 3.5 hours of labour at the local stealer ship. Much to my shagrin, the shifter linkage is not covered by mazda's extended warranty as it is considered a 'maintenance item'.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sounds to me like something else needs to be done about this. Does anyone know of any manufacturers that make braided clutch cables? I don't see the point in replacing something flimsey with... something flimsey.

Perhaps it is time to set up a design for a new cable and initiate a group buy. If there is enough positive feedback then I will look into starting a Group Buy Interest Thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to my daughter's '04 6.

I had some bits of stainless laying around, so we milled this up. My mate with the mill will shoot me if he sees what I did with the mounting part.... although I did clean it up a bit after this shot.

Key dimensions... hole 17mm. rebate area diameter 22mm. Lip thickness was 1.5mm. middle part of the "Z" was 23.5mm.

I can scan the drawing if anyone is interested.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts