Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as the weather is getting colder i find it a lot harder to shift gears and it's not as smoothe as when it was hot out. I have the MT-90 fluid in there now. Is it better to have like a stock fluid in there when its cold or the MT-90?. I have had it in for about 20,000 miles, is it just time to change it? Also i noticed since i installed my twm short throw it doesnt shift half as good, maybe ill switch over to the mazdaspeed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well as the weather is getting colder i find it a lot harder to shift gears and it's not as smoothe as when it was hot out. I have the MT-90 fluid in there now. Is it better to have like a stock fluid in there when its cold or the MT-90?. I have had it in for about 20,000 miles, is it just time to change it? Also i noticed since i installed my twm short throw it doesnt shift half as good, maybe ill switch over to the mazdaspeed.
[/b]
If you switch to the Mazdaspeed. I will buy your TWM shifter.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sent you a pm.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have the Mazdaspeed shifter and run MT-90. It is a little harder to shift when it's cold outside, but after a few minutes of driving, it's back to normal. Normal meaning better than the stock shifter with factory fluid.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I haven't used the TWM, but the Mazdaspeed is a nice choice with the exception of 5th gear - doesn't seem to alter it compared to 1-4, so it's a small adjustment. But, and I don't know much about the shift linkage in the newer cars since it is not the same as linkage in say a 626 (which is totally underneath the car versus in cabin), if the TWM alters shifting as it does for the older style cars then the Mazdaspeed is a much better choice.

In a nutshell (for older cars anyway) the TWM altered the angle that the linkage interacted with the tranny instead of *only* lowering the height of the shifter which had the potential to accelerate damage to the transmission.

..I really need to look into how the newer linkage works/interacts. *Adds to list*

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a better fluid than MT-90 for winter time or am i just going to have to suffer shitty shifting?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I live in New Jersey and just changed my trans fluid to MT-90 this weekend. I did notice that when it is cold in the morning with the stock shifter, it is a little tuff to get into reverse and 1st gear. but after about 5 minutes, there are no problems with shifting.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I haven't used the TWM, but the Mazdaspeed is a nice choice with the exception of 5th gear - doesn't seem to alter it compared to 1-4, so it's a small adjustment. But, and I don't know much about the shift linkage in the newer cars since it is not the same as linkage in say a 626 (which is totally underneath the car versus in cabin), if the TWM alters shifting as it does for the older style cars then the Mazdaspeed is a much better choice.

In a nutshell (for older cars anyway) the TWM altered the angle that the linkage interacted with the tranny instead of *only* lowering the height of the shifter which had the potential to accelerate damage to the transmission.

..I really need to look into how the newer linkage works/interacts. *Adds to list*
[/b]
The TWM shifter does alter the angle of the shift linkage cables. There have been a few people who have had issues with the clips that hold the cables in the tray because of this. The extra stress has also caused a few cables to break, if I remember correctly.

Is there a better fluid than MT-90 for winter time or am i just going to have to suffer shitty shifting?
[/b]
You could try Royal Purple. I'm not sure if the results would be any better though.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I take it the MT-90 is better then stock fluid for the colder weather then?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I take it the MT-90 is better then stock fluid for the colder weather then?
[/b]
MT-90 is definitely better all around. I suggest Royal Purple because you likely want something that can be used year round so you don't have to bother swapping the fluid. I wouldn't put MT-90 in for the spring/summer/fall and then switch to stock fluid for the winter. If I didn't like MT-90, I would find something that worked all the time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey 06Mazda6s,

Wanted to know if you were still interest in selling the TWM short throw. Let me know.

·
Registered
701 Posts
MT-90 is definitely better all around. I suggest Royal Purple because you likely want something that can be used year round so you don't have to bother swapping the fluid. I wouldn't put MT-90 in for the spring/summer/fall and then switch to stock fluid for the winter. If I didn't like MT-90, I would find something that worked all the time.
[/b]
I second that statement :D , I just switched from Redline MT-90 to Royal Purple and the shifts seem to be much better.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
hey, do you guys have the exact fluid name from royal purple to buy? im gonna swap out my trans fluid before the next season of racing, redline didnt impress me much.

·
Registered
578 Posts
hey, do you guys have the exact fluid name from royal purple to buy? im gonna swap out my trans fluid before the next season of racing, redline didnt impress me much.
[/b]
Royal Purple Max-Gear. It's available in different viscosities. I believe the part number for 75W-90 is 831-01300.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use royal purple in the tranny since 1500 miles and no problems or hard shifting. Put it in Feb 2006..

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If the MT 90 is just 90 weight gear oil, then yes it is going to be harder to shift than stock, cuz unless I am wrong the stock is a multi viscosity oil.

You would be better off switching to a synthetic multi oil than just 90 weight.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Does the Mobil 1 say anything about being recommended for use in manual transmissions with soft metal parts? That is one of the reason I had steered away from it, Valvoline Synpower, and several other gear oils that I thought looked good. Most all of them talk about use in axles and heavy duty apps etc, but not much about manual transmissions. I bought some RP Maxgear to try as it specifically is a GL4/GL5 fluid that is recommened for transmission use and says it is noncorrosive to soft metals in transmissions. Most of the other fluids are only a GL5 rated fluid and don't say anything about soft metal compatibility.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Well... as long as it meets the manufactures level of use you will be fine. The soft metal sounds like a marketing thing. I think the only soft metal is the syncros typically. And manual trannies are made to run think fluid. I know peps on this board have used mobil, maybe one of them will speak up. I plan on changing mine soon, and I will probably use mobil, as their oil has done wonderful so far. With almost 50k miles the top of my engine I can see through the oil cap still looks brand new.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts