Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im going to install a B M tranny cooler, but i had a question. there are two forms of installation one using your existing system of cooling ie radiator, or direct cooling flow from a good sized cooler to the tranny, the write up i have for the BM is a direct connecting not using the radiator, my question is this, which one is better? and why? apparently u can only use a direct connection if your cooler is a good size and can handle the cooling capacity, but would is be better off using your existing system for cooling? or just direct connect it and its still great?

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey guys im going to install a B M tranny cooler, but i had a question. there are two forms of installation one using your existing system of cooling ie radiator, or direct cooling flow from a good sized cooler to the tranny, the write up i have for the BM is a direct connecting not using the radiator, my question is this, which one is better? and why? apparently u can only use a direct connection if your cooler is a good size and can handle the cooling capacity, but would is be better off using your existing system for cooling? or just direct connect it and its still great?

thanks
from what i have read,is that if you dont go through the radiator during the winter months. The radiator wont be able to bring the car to operating temps since its not in the equation anymore

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from what i have read,is that if you dont go through the radiator during the winter months. The radiator wont be able to bring the car to operating temps since its not in the equation anymore
well, i like in FL winter months are not a problem, but regardless i think you are speaking of maintaining the cars operating temp. rather than the tranny's the car is still being cooled by the radiator what i speak of is eliminating the extra load off the radiator by using an independant cooling system for the tranny, making is kinda like a stand alone system for tranny cooling, this is how the write is for the 6s B&M cooler install. but my question still is as follows, pass it thru the radiator? or just independently? and why.

thanks

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
It's such a toss-up......

If it was me, I'd go radiator - then B&M - then an inline - then back to the tranny.

I used the brackets that come with the B&M kit to make upper mounts which attach under the hood latch. The bottom of my cooler is held by self-tapping screws I ran into the composite radiator surround.

Oh, and think about having a couple of these on-hand: http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=4961&location_id=541
'Slick' doesn't even begin to describe how great they are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
well, i like in FL winter months are not a problem, but regardless i think you are speaking of maintaining the cars operating temp. rather than the tranny's the car is still being cooled by the radiator what i speak of is eliminating the extra load off the radiator by using an independant cooling system for the tranny, making is kinda like a stand alone system for tranny cooling, this is how the write is for the 6s B&M cooler install. but my question still is as follows, pass it thru the radiator? or just independently? and why.

thanks
What i was meaning was that if you used it independently you wont have the radiator to help the tranny warm up so i advise to pass it thru the radiator and that way you wont void an warranty too

·
Registered
501 Posts
What i was meaning was that if you used it independently you wont have the radiator to help the tranny warm up so i advise to pass it thru the radiator and that way you wont void an warranty too

THIS!

I think someone else posted it as well:

radiator -> cooler -> inline filter -> tranny -> back to radiator.

This will help cool off the transmission fluid as well as make sure the transmission reaches an safe operating temperature.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I don't recall exactly how much, but liquids transfer heat multiple times faster/better than air. And the cooling system is designed with the transmission coler in mind. So running the cooler in line with the radiator is a good idea. It will only cool the transmission further running it after the radiator.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, much appreciated, anyone have a how to link passig it thru the radiator? thr write up i have is an independent system install =[

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
this is the same write up i have, it connects to 2 tranny lines, doesnt look like its the setup, radiator -> cooler -> inline filter -> tranny -> back to radiator...., im new to this mod. heh
You're not going back to the radiator. You're going radiator out - B&M in - B&M out - filter in - filter out - transmission in. 1 line is from the radiator -through the new stuff - 2nd line is back into tranny.

Listen, Daniel-san. Fluid in. Fluid out.

Reactions: PhantomMazda6

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
one question i dont have access to an inline filter at the moment, and i need to take advantage installing my tranny cooler when im off of work since i do all my work myself. can i just do the install without it? and when i order it just install it? my question is the filter required? is the set up going to crap out on me if i dont have it for a few days?

-thanks

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You can do it after you install your cooler. Just cut one of the lines and install the filter in place. Just make sure to install the filter in the direction of the flow of oil foe proper filtration. There is an arrow on the filter that shows how it should be placed.
And no it won't crap out on you. The filter is just for added protection against wear and tear, as the stock filter is really nothing more than a strainer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just installed the BM and fits very well. but i just checked the lines today and both lines are HOT, is this normal? i have to get some foam padding to help with heat transfer but will it usually get both line hot?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
It is normal. I think you're taking the function of the 'cooler' too literally. While it will cool the fluid significantly.By no means will it feel cool still. Remember the transmission has a operating temp. It is designed to operate with in a certain heat range.
And foam padding to put where?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
between the lines, at the moment they are zip tied together no insulation between both lines, as instructed in my how-to to put foam around them to avoid heat transfer. to knock off a few degrees. didnt know the difference a TC made, but its better to double check these findings. thx jav

1 - 17 of 17 Posts