Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing people on here talk about getting a tranny cooler. Being as this is the first car that I've really modded, I have no idea what it is or what it does. Someone please explain the concept to me. Also is this primarily for autos or standard? :spin:

·
Registered
172 Posts
It is mainly used in racing applications. Trucks and other heavy duty type vehicles use them. Mostly ATX's need them. Due too the fact that as your transmission fluid gets hotter it shortens the life of the fluid. ATX are very sensitive. As long as the heat is kept in chyeck then its fine. If you are racing or increasing your power levels in a car with a automatic, then it is wise too protect your tranny too!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Manuals are not as big of a problem, As manuals only use either gear oil or ATF as a lubricant. Atuomatics use ATF as the mechinisim to trasfer power(from engine) where in a manual had a clutch to trasfer the power though it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Allright, thanks for the help so far. I do have an auto which I am looking at racing frequently in the future. where would I find a tranny cooler at and does it have any HP gains at all?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
it does not increase power, as it is not an engine upgrade, but a transmission upgrade.

I purchased mine from ebay, but I've seen them at advance auto, probably could get them from summit. google transmission coolers and you should find plenty of retailers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts