Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am hoping to get my tranny cooler and inline filter installed this weekend.

Using Installing an Inline Tranny Filter, I see that they list this as a 15 minute project.

Using Install a Transmission Cooler (6s) I don't see a project time listed.

Does anyone know about how long this would take? I am a fairly mechanical person. Having the instructions laid out, with pictures and good descriptions like they are, following it step by step, I shouldn't have any problems with this. I am just curious about how long it will take, and if I can get it completed and get myself cleaned up before going to dinner with my fiancee and her family.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
I think I did g-cube's install in about 30-40 minutes, and that was in a crazy rush and included taking the bumper off.

You can technically do it without removing the bumper, so thats even less time.

So leave about an hour and a half for both, and that should cover everything.

Honestly the tranny install is pretty simple...you just disconnect one hose, reconnect one end, run to the cooler, then run the cooler hose back into the tranny. I just didn't want anyone to possibly screw up the install, so I took a few thousand photos.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I did this today. I didn't raise the car or take off the whole bumper and it took me 50 minutes. That was from popping the hood to putting the grill on after warming up the car and checking for leaks.

The hardest part is putting the new fluid lines on the steel nipples. Those things are tight.

Crossbow: Are you responsible for the tranny cooler write up? If so thank you. I found it very helpfull.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I still need to do this mod as well, summer is coming up, but here in FL, Spring is worse than the northern summers, heh.

I agree, great write up, makes t seem very easy to install, and I hope it is. I just ordered my cooler :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
hey crossbow....is that write up also accurate for the 6speed aisin warner tranny in the 2005 6s besides the actual fluid itself (since the fluid for the aisin is different)?

I'm about to order my cooler and install it myself, but want to be sure I have everything covered before actually ordering.

I know I found something about this and saved the thread several months ago..but search can't seem to find the particular post I found back in the day and I have since got rid of the computer that had my favorites on it :sarc:

anyways...cheers :drive:

·
Registered
510 Posts
haha yeah.

keep forgetting about 6tech. I use to live both there and here, but since I have been vacant the past few months I tend to forget about all the good sites and threads I use to find and post in :nono: :slap:

thanks.

hey cross, since i brought it up....was it you or stretch that I was talking with about what material the impellers are on the aisin in the torq converter? plastic or metal and what kind of metal if....?

k...thanks ray on the link...and I'm out...... :drive:

·
Registered
574 Posts
To bring this one back up.. lol..
Crossbow.. I installed the cooler.. and with your help it worked out great.. but do we REALLY need 40 pages of instructions when its just taking out one hose and connecting it inline? haha

I sat there for like 30 minutes talking to some friends of mine thinking.. hmmm.. why does this seem so easy? I have to be forgetting something.. I mean.. 40 pages.. come on.. lol.. It took about 20 minutes to install.. luckily I have a CAI so I dont have to go through that crap again.. but its really easy..

To anyone who thinks its going to be tough.. its really not rocket science... you just find the return line.. and put the cooler on it.. haha.. generally speaking of course.

You can feel the heat pretty much immediately.. and you can definately feel the difference in the temp of the hoses before the Cooler and after the cooler.. it really does a good job, and I'm glad I did this along with installing an Inline transmission filter.

Thanks to you all...

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was a really easy install. The only problem I had was getting the stock hose off the steel line. Not where it goes back into the transmission, but on the other side. I decided to cut my losses, since the line would not be going back on the car, and gently use an exacto knife to slice the hose. I was careful not to scratch the metal line at all, but cut the hose enough that it loosened and came off the steel line without problems.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had to do the same when i installed my magnafine filter last night, cut the hose that is..

I guess im lucky... I mean.. i know I am.. because when I decided to put on the cooler, I noticed that they had not actually put the clamp back on the hose when they installed the new transmission.. luckily it was not leaking.. but it was really easy to pull off.. But its a good thing I installed the cooler.. because the clamp was half way down the hose itself.

Silly Mazda tech's but at least I got a cooler and filter installed now.. makes me feel al ot better.

I do wonder though on the filter it says that if you have a car with less than 5,000 miles to put it on the pressure side, instead of the return line..... if my transmission has less than 5,000 should I have put it on the pressure line?... just a thought.. I decided to be safe and put it on the return line... I just hope my cooler doesnt get clogged up with junk.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Crossbow.. I installed the cooler.. and with your help it worked out great.. but do we REALLY need 40 pages of instructions when its just taking out one hose and connecting it inline? haha
[/b]
I wanted to make 200% sure that nobody would make a mistake installling the cooler from the instructions...as a mistake installing the cooler could result in a multithousand dollar transmission replacement. But ya, you really only need a photo or two :).

·
Registered
574 Posts
I dont understand what difference it would make. Is hotter tranny fluid harder on the filter?
[/b]
I think its about getting the metal pieces out BEFORE they get into your cooler, the filter I dont think cares if its hot or cold.. but the difference is sending unfiltered (at least somewhat) fluid to your cooler, or filtering it before it goes to your cooler.. This filter is more of a 'backup' anyways.. so I guess it wouldnt matter.

I wanted to make 200% sure that nobody would make a mistake installling the cooler from the instructions...as a mistake installing the cooler could result in a multithousand dollar transmission replacement. But ya, you really only need a photo or two :).
[/b]
I completely understand... but I think at some point it just gets confusing and may cause more problems than its intended to prevent.. haha..

The most imporant thing to remember... "TIGHTEN UNTIL THE RUBBER COMES THROUGH THE CLAMPS"

If you get this... then its pretty much idiot proof.. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Im definitely see the pros of getting the tranny cooler, i have 42k miles now taken good care of the ole M6s up to now, stupid question but should i still have it installed now for future benefits?? Thanks guys....

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't see why not. And it should only make things better for the future.

After 42k, have you done anything to the transmission fluid (drain/fill or flush)? Because it could most likely use a little lovin there as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not trying to hijack your thread or anything, but I was planning On putting one in myself. Would this one be sufficiant?

B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers

Also being I have the 6 speed ATX, would the instructions change any from the how 2 on mazda 6 tech?

And yes I do have a bottle of the correct Fluid for the 6 speed ATX.

Thanks,

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe the 70264 is the one I purchased for my 5spd v6. I don't know if anything changed for the 6spd or not. Maybe the hose locations or where you plug into the transmission or something.

I do know for my application, I needed to purchase about 4 feet of extra line that I picked up at a local auto store.

Nice avatar also, Pitfall?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Not trying to hijack your thread or anything, but I was planning On putting one in myself. Would this one be sufficiant?

B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers

Also being I have the 6 speed ATX, would the instructions change any from the how 2 on mazda 6 tech?

And yes I do have a bottle of the correct Fluid for the 6 speed ATX.

Thanks,
[/b]
I believe your cooler should suffice. Because you have the AW6A-EL 6 speed ATX, you will be connecting your hoses to different lines. More details can be found in this thread:

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?...asc&start=0

Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't see why not. And it should only make things better for the future.

After 42k, have you done anything to the transmission fluid (drain/fill or flush)? Because it could most likely use a little lovin there as well.
[/b]
yeah i did my flush last month...thanks for ur help dsimmon

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
12 Participants
gater
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing