Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...

So I finally got my tranny cooler (a B&M unit, Universal All Years 70255 $59.99
Specs: 11in x 5.75in x .75 in) off the internet from autoanything.com...I go to my dealershi-I mean dealership ( :laugh: not funny...)...who told me they would do it for around $210...I get there (on a weekday cause they don't do stuff like this on the weekends) and they tell me that its not going to be $210 and a couple of hours, but about $400+ and 4 hours of work because they need to A. remove the bumper...(thats okay) and B. remove the radiator core...WOAH!!!! take out the radiator!?, what the hell!!! I've seen whole tranny cooler installs, step by step, picture by picture, and at no point did they said the radiator core had to be taken out...so I thought that wasn't right...and I'm thinking about trying another dealership...cause I don't want to have a tranny cooler sitting around for no reason...and I'm pretty sure that its important because I'm planning to do some track racing...and I need to protect my transmission...maybe I'm wrong, does any of this seem strange to any of you guys?...I've been told that the simplest minded five year old can do an install like this (exact words of somebody on this forum)...I must be fifth level retarded then...

·
Registered
915 Posts
DIY, it's easy, and don't go back to that dealership.

For whatever reason you can't DIY, find a well recomended performance shop in your area, they can do it in less than an hr.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DIY, it's easy, and don't go back to that dealership.

For whatever reason you can't DIY, find a well recomended performance shop in your area, they can do it in less than an hr.
[/b]
I don't have all the tools...nearest performance shops don't do tranny installs...they told me I should go to a transmission shops...found transmission shops...and they told me that they only install the ones that they sell...(which are fin and tube...OBSOLETE CRAP)...and then they said I should go to the dealership...the cycle continues... :swearin:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Iall you need to complete the job is a pair of plyers and a screwdriver. Do this your self man. You are just taking off 2 hoses. There's nothing more to it than that! Read through it one more time and you will save your self a ton of money.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Iall you need to complete the job is a pair of plyers and a screwdriver. Do this your self man. You are just taking off 2 hoses. There's nothing more to it than that! Read through it one more time and you will save your self a ton of money.
[/b]
...don't I have to drain the tranny...find a good place to dump it...make sure I have EXACTLY the right transmission fluid (cause we all know how "finicky" the 6ATX drivetrains are...and then install an in line tranny filter and continuously add fluid after starting up the car in a fashion so anal retentive, should I add too little or just a bit too much, I fuck something else up...to much of a pain in the ass....but I'll keep it in mind if it must ABSOLUTELY come to that...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
...don't I have to drain the tranny...find a good place to dump it...make sure I have EXACTLY the right transmission fluid (cause we all know how "finicky" the 6ATX drivetrains are...and then install an in line tranny filter and continuously add fluid after starting up the car in a fashion so anal retentive, should I add too little or just a bit too much, I fuck something else up...to much of a pain in the ass....but I'll keep it in mind if it must ABSOLUTELY come to that...
[/b]
let me answer...

no, no drain needed

get the fluid from a toyota dealership ($5)

you don't *need* to install an inline tranny filter, but i did

it's not hard to add the right amount of fluid...at all, if you can't add fluid to a line, don't mod a car.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
dude, NEVER EVER EVER EVER no matter what. EVER go to a dealer for mechanic work. Unless it's warrenty work.

They rape people in the ass. That is what dealer service centers get paid for.. And they will do it with no lube when you least expect it.. Defiently a big rule to follow.. Unless your ass is loaded. DO NOT TAKE IT TO THE DEALER..

You can spend $210 there. Or you can spend like $30 on the tools needed and do it yourself.

Trust me. It can be a pain in the ass at times. but when the work is all said and done. You will feel so much better about it knowing you did it yourself. Anyone can pay someone to do it. KNowing you acomplished it yourself makes the car become so much more personal.

You can do this in any drive way if need be man..

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dude, NEVER EVER EVER EVER no matter what. EVER go to a dealer for mechanic work. Unless it's warrenty work.

They rape people in the ass. That is what dealer service centers get paid for.. And they will do it with no lube when you least expect it.. Defiently a big rule to follow.. Unless your ass is loaded. DO NOT TAKE IT TO THE DEALER..

You can spend $210 there. Or you can spend like $30 on the tools needed and do it yourself.

Trust me. It can be a pain in the ass at times. but when the work is all said and done. You will feel so much better about it knowing you did it yourself. Anyone can pay someone to do it. KNowing you acomplished it yourself makes the car become so much more personal.

You can do this in any drive way if need be man..
[/b]
...thank you...thank you...so very much for that colorful explanation of dealership/customer relationships...alright....supposedly...the kit comes with everything you need...sans some extra hose, already taken care of...which means it comes (supposedly) with all mounting hardware....the mounting rods...four that come with my kit...don't look like they bolt onto anything...other than if I drilled them into the A.C. condensor...this of course...would be stupid....so obviously...the not so detailed instructions don't (to my knowledge) tell you where to bolt in the mounting rods...this probably because its a universal kit...(I have seen people use aluminum rods and zip ties...but damn it, if it comes with the kit, I'd rather use whats in there...)...so...where and how do we bolt the cooler to the rods....to the car...thanks.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I am not trying to imply anything here, but...

Uh, read how to do it a few more times on 6tech, print it out and, just do it... it's really about the simplist install there is... how about you try to get in contact with your local 6club? see if some one is willing to give you a hand, pliers and a screw driver...

I mean you are seriously getting your proverbial panties in a twist over this. Have you ever worked on a car before?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Where are you located? I installed mine and a handful of other members ones on here in about 30 mins from start to finish.

As said before, I think the only tools you need are needle nose pliars and a screwdriver..... The only part of the car you need to remove is the front grill.

Do a search on here, a few members, including myself, have posted a how-to do the install based on the 6tech ones for newer vehicles. The only difference between the newer cars and the one written on 6tech is where the nipple heading to the transmission is located.

Also, head over to the regional section and see if there is anyone in your area who might be willing to head over to your place and help you.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You might also need a ramp or Jack stands. The clamp on one of the hoses faces the ground and can't be reached by going through the hood.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree, it is simple. You need some hose, and the tools they said you need. Have a friend help you, as I know it can be intimidating if you've never done any mods before. If you let the car sit overnight, there should be no fluid in the hoses when you take them off. The tranny filter is not needed to do at the same time, but if you have it, it will be simple to do also.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i'd never pay to have someone install anything that has at least 2 different directional step-by-step threads on here. i mean i have done hundreds of audio installs and can work my way around with a saw and fiberglass but know didly about doing work on cars(paid a shop to do all the work on my dakota). i've done my own hid's, dde's(although i cracked 2 lol), oil change(first time doing it myself) and CAI install. Again i was a newbie who had never done ANYTHING to a car myself with no other help and i've learned so if i can you can man.

·
Registered
163 Posts
These guys all tell the truth. In case no one mentioned where, i got my connecting rods from a local hardware store (ACE). The cooler didn't have enough hose so get some extra hose (make sure it's rated for the high temp fluid). Thats all in the how-to's... I know it can seem intimidating, but feel free to pm me (or Im sure anyone of the bigger names on the club) with questions.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Just be careful when putting the hose on the fitting closest to the fans.. its held on by a plastic clip and breaks easily... I know... because i broke mine lol. but its not a problem there are several other clips holding it in place.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These guys all tell the truth. In case no one mentioned where, i got my connecting rods from a local hardware store (ACE). The cooler didn't have enough hose so get some extra hose (make sure it's rated for the high temp fluid). Thats all in the how-to's... I know it can seem intimidating, but feel free to pm me (or Im sure anyone of the bigger names on the club) with questions.[/b]
your icon is most unrealistic...Calvin would never pray before a cross...perhaps a pentogram...but never a cross...(little hell raiser)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts