Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to trade in my 06 6i(atx) with 78k miles on it for an 07' mazdaspeed 6 with 75k on it. Here is a link to the dealer's page for the car: Used 2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed6 For Sale | MI .

I am wondering 2 things:

The condition of my 06 6i is pretty much phenomenal, a few scratches here or there(very minor). The front tie rod has already been replaced under factory warranty. The interior looks like new, the wheels need to probably be cleaned or painted, they might put 2 new tires on the back. I hit a deer 2 years ago it ruined the front bumper/grill/radiator and it was paid out fully repaired. I have a CAI on it and am posting this thread to see if before I OEM it out with the old intake upon trade in appraisal, that I would be willing to get what I kinda want/need for price. I am hoping for a trade in value on my car of between 7-8k (it's velocity red mica which I am sure to them will be a quick seller cause kids love red cars). It also is the hatchback style 6 so the spoiler/trunk may appeal to someone younger.

The second question would be as to what is fair to in a sense try and haggle them down to. If they meet my 8k request on trade in or 7k I really want to get them down near 12-13k for the speed6. Is that a fair rate for that car? I am going to make sure I do this whole process in the ending week of the month so that they're willing to wiggle more. My credit is baller so I know they won't need to worry about financing and additionally my girlfriend's mom has been working there 2 years and I get all my work done at this dealership so the mechanics know me well and will vouch for my car's condition if asked to inspect.

So, every one's .02?

·
Super Moderator
16,838 Posts
Well it's up to you. I wouldn't expect much more than 6-7k for your car's worth, and the speeds typically go for 12-15k so that's reasonable what you're looking at getting it for.

I will say, the speeds are very high maintenance girlfriends. They require a LOT more attention than your 6i, and are prone to more big issues.

Now, that being said, they're also much more fun to drive, and if you take care of it, then you'll love having it.

Food for thought :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Byak, can't I just have your 6s? I'll be there august 7th we can just trade right? :D Thanks again for the reply and it sounds like things might go how I want. Btw I noticed you blanked out your license plate on all but 1 photo of your build thread. Not sure if it's a huge deal to you or not but on your tail lights photo it's completely legible.

·
Super Moderator
16,838 Posts
Haha sure, just let me start listing all the problems I'm slowly trying to fix on it :p......

Really, the 7th? We should try and meet up. Maybe I can wrangle up some of the other new england guys too for a quick meet.

That stinks... good luck with everything though.

Yeah I had blanked everything out originally, but I don't really care anymore lol. Anyone driving behind me can see my plate so oh well. My car's distinguished enough that I can't hide anyways :p - Thanks though. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
..I will say, the speeds are very high maintenance girlfriends. They require a LOT more attention than your 6i, and are prone to more big issues.
false.. its a car.. same maintenance as any other..
ive had to deal with more on my old 6s than ive had with the speed..
your statement only comes into play when you start modding..

·
Super Moderator
16,838 Posts
false.. its a car.. same maintenance as any other..
ive had to deal with more on my old 6s than ive had with the speed..
your statement only comes into play when you start modding..
You're right, but the majority of speed owners (much like almost every turbo'd sports car out there) beat the crap out of their cars and thus make them more prone to failing parts.

He's looking at a speed that, for all he knows, was thrashed on for all 70k and parts are just waiting to fail.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I have researched and at least know enough that if I get the ms6 it's going to be mods starting in this order:

Cobb AP(I hear the stock tune is shit.)
CAI/SRI (though I think I recall the ms6 coming stock with CAI)
Less ugly wheels
Intercooler

We'll see what happens from there..

Hopefully the Cobb AP off the bat changing the tune will help the long term upkeep/reliability.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Byak btw I will be hopping between maine, nh, and saugus for the most part but we are planning a run to downtown b town for at least a run through quincy market, maybe hit up dick's last resort for lunch. If you know of anything sweet we could round up for some fun in boston with some of the guys from 6club/crew let me know!

As of maintenance on the speed 6, it's at the dealership my friend is the mazda mechanic for so not only did he vouch that it's one of the best condition speed 6's he's seen yet but also all parts at cost and low low cost labor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
16,838 Posts
Byak btw I will be hopping between maine, nh, and saugus for the most part but we are planning a run to downtown b town for at least a run through quincy market, maybe hit up dick's last resort for lunch. If you know of anything sweet we could round up for some fun in boston with some of the guys from 6club/crew let me know!

As of maintenance on the speed 6, it's at the dealership my friend is the mazda mechanic for so not only did he vouch that it's one of the best condition speed 6's he's seen yet but also all parts at cost and low low cost labor.
[Threadjack] Haha small world man. I work in Saugus every day and often have to drive down Rt. 1 into Boston, and I'll be in Quincy market on Sunday (that's where Dick's Last Resort is) - BTW that place is awesome! have you been there before? [/Threadjack]

Oh then that's pretty sweet that the speed wasn't beat on by it's owner(s). Cool that you know a mazda mechanic, I don't know anyone around here like that.

- Oh and if you don't want to fill this thread with random BS, can always head to our NE BS thread to continue chatting :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I continued our discussion on the NE BS thread.

Also, anyone's input on whether or not it's worth investing about $100 to do paintless dent removal on a dent the size of a nickle on my rear left passenger door before trading it in? Is the dent going to snowball the trade in value by more than $100 or am I better off saving that $100 towards the down payment?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, does anyone know if door guards are a must when trading your car in? I still have mine but didn't know if I'd need to put them back on.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Also, does anyone know if door guards are a must when trading your car in? I still have mine but didn't know if I'd need to put them back on.
lol no, they wont even notice...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Stealerships aren't THAT smart!

lol

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Obviously not cause they looked at my registration and still wrote down on my appraisal '2007'. But yeah forget all this cause they offered me 5k and said and I quote 'After we put some new tires on it and do a bunch of renewal stuff to the car we'll be $1000 deep and the retail for that car would be around $7900 on the lot'. To which I laughed out loud and said 'You'd sell my car for $7900? Now THAT'S a good deal.' Not to mention they wouldn't budge on that 16k for the ms6, saying it was as low as they could go. I didn't even bother mentioning if I drive 300 miles south I can get a 56k miles ms6 for 12k private seller, 13k for a 2k less mileage white ms6 from a dealer.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I would just sell your car through private party. I got 8k for my 6 when I sold it for my speed.

·
Super Moderator
16,838 Posts
Stealerships will always screw you over. Private party is tougher but much more rewarding. I'd say you'll get 6500 - 8k for your car private party - and it'll take a lot to make them budge off that 16k for the speed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Your going to get raped either way, no matter how good your car looks they will never offer you what you want. IDK if they have Carmax in MI yet but I'd go there first to get a written quote. They are "fair" and gives you a backup option.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an update since I see activity in this thread. I sold my '06 6i Atx at 73k for 7.5k to a private party. Also I got the dealership down to 13.5k. Leaving me with a paid off loan and 1.5k down. =)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts