Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well here's the deal - i want to install the CPE intake i have sitting in my closet. i also want to install koni's and some springs and take it to autocross. and next year would be when i purchase the CPE headers. all this is nice and good, but i'm upset about the fact that i have an ATX. i feel like it's pointless for me to mod up my car due to the fact that the ATX sucks a good amount of that power away. i know some of you guys do it, and that's cool and exciting, but personally, i don't think it's worth the money and effort.

so, i'm considering trading up for a used mazda6 MTX. the kbb trade-in value for my car is about $15k (i have about 21k miles, i've got all the packages of an 04 5-door except the luxury package, minor body damage on the door panel and bumpers). most of the car's i've seen on autotrader have low miles, less than 10k but are costing about $21k.

i'm worried about the financial aspect of it. i paid off my car in full and i know i'm getting raped with the trade-in value. i was thinking of privately selling it, but that's a bit inconvenient since i rely on my car for transportation daily and i can't bare to be without a car while i shop around for one with a manual tranny.

another thing that worries me is the clutch issue everyone is griping about. has the new clutch disc been confirmed to fix these issues? i really don't want to give a good car (although it's ATX) for a car that is going to make me go to the dealer every couple months.

should i do it? or just suck it up with the ATX until it's time to give the car to the future wife and buy a new one for myself?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
If you had it paid off in full definatly trade it in privatly. Honestly I would just hold on to your atx specially if you don't wanna be hosed. I will most likely do what you suggested, hold on to the 6 and give it to future wife and then get yourself something awesome... aka BMW 335i :)

FWIW: the 5sp atx w/ cp-e is worth it!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Great minds think alike. LOL.

Just be patient and save up for a few years, one day you will thank yourself for it!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Actually all the best 6 I seen to now have been ATX. I use to be a little pissy about mine being one but honestly if you're hooking up your car for yourself it doesn't really matter ATX or MTX just what you like, but if you're trying to race it then that's a different story but even with an ATX I've raped so many cars on the road and look good doing it :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've thought about doing the same thing too. But, you're talking about paying a big differential just to get the same car with an mtx. I'm really growing to like the 5 sp. atx since you kinda get the best of both worlds. I really wanted the stick but couldn't find a sport wagon optioned the way I wanted it. In the end I went for the more nicely optioned vehicle. Resell isn't great on these, so I think I'll just keep mine.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I don't think trading it in will help, dealers like to drain value of it. I think you should sell it privately to get full value. The mtx will help you get better gas mileage if driven correctly. Only downside is traffic, if you live in city may want to reconsider it.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
just keep the atx.. your gonna get raped with the trade in value and all that crap. Jus tget the stage 1 and 2 tranny kits and you will of gotten most of the power you lose with an atx back. OR should have.

·
Registered
680 Posts
One member here was considering trading his 5-speed MTX for a 6-speed MTX just to save gas. Another member did the math and figured that it would take over 1,000,000 miles of driving to recoup the difference in cost. Just food for thought.

I'm saying you should save your money, and get a nicer MTX car when you need a new one.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Scooters and motorcycles are the answer to save miles off your car and great mpg. I'm trying my best when its practical to take the my scooter which gets about 50-55mpg in city out all the time.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I traded from ATX to MTX and took a relatively minor hit on it. The way I did mine was get a quote from carmax and used that to get the dealer to give me more for the trade.

I dont regret the trade though. I really did not like driving the ATX after a while (It didnt bother me when I bought it though).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
JTZako
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing