Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone know why my car would drive hella jerky when TCS is engaged! It feels like a transmission problem but as soon as you turn TCS off is drives really nice. It just feels like there is alot of lag in throttle response and shifts gears really rough. Anyone ever had this? :headscrat:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Would anyone know why my car would drive hella jerky when TCS is engaged! It feels like a transmission problem but as soon as you turn TCS off is drives really nice. It just feels like there is alot of lag in throttle response and shifts gears really rough. Anyone ever had this? :headscrat:
[/b]
And don't even TRY to drive on a washboarded dirt road with TCS on! It'll shake the shit out of your front end! I had the same problem with my 98 Dodge Intrepid. It sucks! :swearin:

·
Registered
531 Posts
[/b]

TCS shouldn't cause rough shifting like you're describing. It doesn't for me and I drive with it on quite a bit, esp. when it's raining. I would have the car checked out.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
And don't even TRY to drive on a washboarded dirt road with TCS on! It'll shake the shit out of your front end! I had the same problem with my 98 Dodge Intrepid. It sucks! :swearin:
[/b]
hah, i drive down stone roads alot in my area.... it sucks!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I agree with geuse. I drive with TCS on most of the time. I turn it off for acceleration in non-rainy situations. But I have no problems like you're describing.

·
Registered
702 Posts
[/b]
Take it to the dealer...It could be the ABS ring, Speed sensor, or Brake problems.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If anyone knew how to turn off TCS, I'd be in for that. Can't stand it and I have a v6 w/5speed. When I leave work, sometimes you have to jump out on the road quick because of heavy traffic. It seems like if the tires even want to chirp in the least bit, power cuts and there I am ready to be t-boned by on coming traffic. Then the car kicks in again and it's like getting whiplash.

For me, I find it more hazardous than beneficial. It's become habit for me to turn the switch off everytime I start the car anymore.

Where's the wire, I'll snip it! :yesnod:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Sounds like a problem - mine is on almost always and I live in the country (my driveway alone is 1/8 mile of gravel) and I drive an MS6. As long as you are not trying to spin wheels (even then not bad), it is invisible. Something is wrong with your cars.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The tcs nearly killed me! I went to pull out into traffic, when it kicked in and there went all of my momentum, rocking me back and forth. And almost got hit by a dump truck coming my way. Does anyone know how to permanently dissable it? It suck ass!!! :swearin:

·
Registered
316 Posts
our TCS doesn't apply the brakes, its retards timing to limit the power.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is another link for TCS

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/ar...52/article.html

Sport6 is right on older cars. Here is small paragraph of the above link.

"Let's say you're at a stoplight on wet pavement. The light turns green and you press too firmly on the accelerator pedal. There is slick asphalt under your tires and the wheels begin to spin. The traction control system instantaneously kicks in, sensing that the wheels have begun to slip. Within a fraction of a second, this data is fed back to the control unit, which adjusts throttle input and applies braking force to slow the wheels (some older systems also retarded engine spark). The wheels are thus prevented from spinning and the car maintains maximum traction. "

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I have mine on all the time, and I have no problems. The only thing the TCS does is when one of the wheels is spinning, it uses the breaks to slow the wheel down. That is all what it does! Here is a little info for everyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_control[/b]
you just contradicted yourself... you said in your first post that breaks are used. the second one clearly says it does not use breaks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
you just contradicted yourself... you said in your first post that breaks are used. the second one clearly says it does not use breaks.[/b]
Newer cars uses the brakes to slow down the spinning wheel. the older car uses breaks and something else. Since I don't have a older car, I didn't care until sport6 said something about his car. I didn't contradicted my self if you go to the links I placed on my posts.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Would anyone know why my car would drive hella jerky when TCS is engaged! It feels like a transmission problem but as soon as you turn TCS off is drives really nice. It just feels like there is alot of lag in throttle response and shifts gears really rough. Anyone ever had this? :headscrat:[/b]
yeah, i'm going into the dealership under warranty to get this fixed. when i have my TCS on, my car is jerky as if it feels like the engine is rocking back and forth badly. when it is disengaged, the ride is amazingly smooth and has no shift-shock. at first i thought it was my engine mount (which is being replaced anyway) but now the TCS seems to be a problem as well.

·
Registered
784 Posts
the TCS is made for soccer moms and old people. There's nothing wrong with your car, it's made to slow the engine down when you break your wheels loose, hence the name Traction Control! I have a shut off button on mine, it's on the lowwer left side.(I have a 2004 Mazda6s-fully loaded) You don't?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
i had lag in throttle response too...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts