1995 BMW M3
1994 Mazda Miata
2008 Chevrolet Corvette
2010 BMW M3
2014 Subaru STi
1995 BMW M3
2004 Infiniti G35
2012 Cadillac CTS-V coupe

The 6 is ready for 'em :grin2: Check back for a full report!
CR

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope all goes well, lucky you!

What series is this, I don't see anything on the VIR calendar for those dates?

This weekend is not really a race. It is an HPDE or open track weekend.

Here is the event Link:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2015-thscc-john-mullis-memorial-hpde-virginia-intl-full-course-tarheel-150794#.VfAp_E2FPoo

There are 208 cars registered, broken up into 5 groups. I'm in the advanced group with about 35 cars. Each group gets four 30min sessions each day - 4hrs of track time. Lapping is at race speeds, but passing is allowed only when the lead car gives you a point (telling you on which side he wants you to pass). In the advanced group, passing is pretty smooth and seamless.

We promise we are not racing and track and club insurance companies cut us a break in the premium - making the weekend more affordable (less than $500/car). Even though there is no "winner", everyone is comparing lap times and bragging about who they chased down on the track. Lots of fun! Bring your 6 out - no experience needed - everyone started out in the novice group - the instruction is great.

For comparison - next weekend I'm racing in the team car and the entry fee is $1600/car.

CR

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did not need to see this thread. I LOVE VIR. I was there yesterday for a motorcycle track day and I'll be back next weekend for racing. I saw some of the car rigs coming in as we were packing up and leaving. It makes me feel poor ha.

Anyway, I didn't think anyone tracked these cars. My DD might have to moonlight so I can get my "feet wet" on 4 wheels. Time to read your threads about it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Note to self: QUIT BREAKING THE CAR!

Some pics while the fun lasted:

Just passed the Vette:

CR

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What did you break this time?

Sorry for the slow response - just got back from the 14hr endurance race with the team car.

I broke the front right axle. It appears to be broke inside the outboard boot - I haven't taken it apart yet. I had been running rebuilt axles from Mazda with very good luck, but this one was a cheapy from RockAuto. It lasted about 20min on the track. I got a little wheel hop coming out of T17 onto the front stretch at around 90mph - hard on the gas. The track is bumpy there - apparently, 11" wide sticky tires and a LSD was more than the axle could stand - combined with the shock of the tire bouncing. I'll be taking it apart and comparing it to the Mazda axle soon.

I really didn't get a chance to test my speed limiter hack because they added a chicane in the middle of the longest straight at VIR for this event. If you follow the world of track days and HDPEs, there is a lot of discussion about novices showing up with 400+ HP cars and people getting hurt or worse. The factory safety systems of these cars were not designed to protect you in a 140mph crash. So tracks have been trying to slow these cars down.

Not sure when my next event is - gotta work on the honey-do list and bank some points. :grin2:
CR

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Stinks about the axel, but at least you got some good time in beforehand.

And what do you mean my 500whp Fast and Furious ricer isn't good for the track?! :p

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you follow the world of track days and HDPEs, there is a lot of discussion about novices showing up with 400+ HP cars and people getting hurt or worse. The factory safety systems of these cars were not designed to protect you in a 140mph crash. So tracks have been trying to slow these cars down.

CR
Such a conflicting issue. Seems like the know-nothing 1st timers with Corvette ZR1s and M6s are the only ones showing up to these events anymore because the people with the crazy money cars are the only ones that can afford it. With fewer entries, the cost per car goes up, less people enter.....

Gone are the days when you'd see nothing but E36 325is, Mazda Miatas, and Porsche Boxters.

I guess all the E36s and Miatas are running in Chump now.... :)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
...... I broke the front right axle. It appears to be broke inside the outboard boot - I haven't taken it apart yet. I had been running rebuilt axles from Mazda with very good luck, but this one was a cheapy from RockAuto. It lasted about 20min on the track. I got a little wheel hop coming out of T17 onto the front stretch at around 90mph - hard on the gas. The track is bumpy there - apparently, 11" wide sticky tires and a LSD was more than the axle could stand - combined with the shock of the tire bouncing. I'll be taking it apart and comparing it to the Mazda axle soon.
CR
If possible, get the hardness checked on the RockAuto axle, and on an old Mazda one. This has a direct correlation with strength. If you know an Eng'g student, they should be able to have it done at the school for cheap, or a mech test lab may give you a break on cost. Also, a close up pic of the fracture surface would help to determine if there was a a fatigue crack in progress that let go with the wheel hop, or if it was just a sudden overload.

About your team car, how does your lap times compare with the other drivers?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If possible, get the hardness checked on the RockAuto axle, and on an old Mazda one. This has a direct correlation with strength. If you know an Eng'g student, they should be able to have it done at the school for cheap, or a mech test lab may give you a break on cost. Also, a close up pic of the fracture surface would help to determine if there was a a fatigue crack in progress that let go with the wheel hop, or if it was just a sudden overload.

About your team car, how does your lap times compare with the other drivers?

The axle broke at the joint - the shell that holds the balls. The shaft itself is fine.

The team car is very fast. The team owner set track records in three races last year - my times are always in the top 10 (of 75 or 80 cars). Ironically, my lap times in the Mazda6 at the same tracks are faster than the team car - and the team car has over 100hp more than the 6. Its all about grip, handling and comfort in the car.

CR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
CanyonRider
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing