Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was "Bring Your Racecar To Work" day. Loaded everything up last night and will head to VIR from work this afternoon.

Weather Saturday looks a little sketchy with possible afternoon storms. Hoping for no rain since the car has no side glass and no defrost. :D Sunday looks perfect.

Look for a full report early next week!

CR

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Chasing down a Porsche Cayman R in my 4-door grocery-getter. :D I was catching him - notice the yellow somes out right at the end. :mad:

Sept8Session3 - YouTube

Awesome time! My last session got rained out, but tomorrow should be perfect. :cool:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suspenseful Teaser!

I can't count the number of times I've been told in class and by in-car instructors: "At the top of the esses, get your braking done between 9 & 10, as you turn into 10 get on the gas and STAY on the gas all the way to the exit. If you lift in 10 you will spin and be headed for the left side wall."
Oh - you mean like this? :eek:

Sept9Turn10 - YouTube

What will happen to our Mazda driver? Will he pull off a miraculous save and go on to racing fame and glory? Will turn 10 bite him like so many before him? Will he die in a firey wreck confirming what everyone said - "That 4-door granny car doesn't belong out here"?

Stay tuned to find out! :p

·
Super Moderator
17,560 Posts
^^ Haha awesome. Needs moar video though ;) - Can't wait to see how you pull that one off.

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Awesome! LOL, what happened at the end of the video?? I spun out once at a curve on a track, but not at that speed!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Full Report!

So as usual, I got to the track the night before and set up camp in the pits - I usually pick a spot further back away from the noise and the pole lights so I can get some sleep.

There were about 150 cars in 5 run groups of 30 cars each. We each got four 25 minute sessions on saturday and sunday for almost 4 hours of track time. The Mazda6 was awesome. It ran flawlessly, was fast and handled great. Although I was surprised how much the oil pressure fluctuates - look at the left-most guage.

I have over 3 hours of on-board video and I'm pretty sure you don't want to see all of it so I edited it down to a few clips you might be interested in.

First, with thirty cars on the track, I got some practice working thru traffic. For those unfamiliar with HPDE events, you can only pass when the lead car gives you a point-by. As a courtesy, you wave thanks after you complete the pass. If you pass without a point you get the black flag and will likely park the rest of the session. You will see me talking to my instructor from time to time - we have headset to we can communicate.

Working Traffic:

On sunday, some folks went home leaving more room on the track. Here I got a rare opportunity to complete an entire lap with open track in front of me. My lap time was about 2:35 - not too shabby. For reference, my instructor's best time is 2:09 in a C6 Corvette - hitting 140+ on the straights.

Open Track:

I know you want to see the full spin video, so here it is - watch it in full screen for the best perspective:

Fortunately, the wall wasn't any closer to the track. :p

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so wat's do u like better? riding ur bike or track days in da 6?
They are both fun in a very different ways - I don't take the bike to the track. My motorcycle riding tends to be more of a social event - several friends riding and camping together for several days - good times. That said - the track events are a blast - especially when you have a car that is really working.

I gotta say, I was actually surprised how good the Mazda was on the track - it had tons of grip and the handling was very predictable. You can get a sense from the videos, the higher HP cars were faster in the straights, but the Mazda6 was killin them in the corners. One of senior instructors came up to me Sunday and said: "I wasn't out there with you, but I heard you pretty much owned your group. Good job." It was true - I wasn't passed by a single car all weekend.

Next event is Oct 13 &14 at CMP (Carolina Motorsports Park). I'll check the car over thoroughly and I have a couple tweaks in mind - I'll post them in my Track Car Prep thread.

Ya'll need to get your 6's out on the track - it's addicting!

CR

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Three hours on the road course will use up some front brake pad. :p

Time for fresh rotors and pads on the front.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that we are in the off-season, I've had a chance to organize photos. Here are some shots of the Mazda6 at VIR in September (low res for faster loading). Enjoy!

·
Registered
315 Posts
WOW da 6 looks so balanced in all the corners, awesome job on getting L/R to be 50/50~!

Love the pixs wit u passing all the other cars~!!!

How hot was it? Everyone has there windows down.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW da 6 looks so balanced in all the corners, awesome job on getting L/R to be 50/50~!

Love the pixs wit u passing all the other cars~!!!

How hot was it? Everyone has there windows down.
Thanks. :)

It wasn't too hot - upper 80's. Most tracks require both front windows down regardless of weather - even rain. I sat out my last session on Saturday due to rain - I have no side glass and no defrost. Sometimes I wish I kept the defrost. :rolleyes:

Sunday was perfect. I'll be back at VIR April 6 & 7!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your hands or not moving much. Very good. Smooth is fast. My track days are "in the mirror" so I enjoyed your videos very much. Seems like the car is well balanced. No terrible understeer under power or over steer under braking.
Rock on.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your hands or not moving much. Very good. Smooth is fast. My track days are "in the mirror" so I enjoyed your videos very much. Seems like the car is well balanced. No terrible understeer under power or over steer under braking.
Rock on.
Thanks! It is something I've really worked on this year - being smooth - and it has really paid off at the track and even on the autocross courses. I had one instructor tell me to quit doing AutoX events and focus entirely on track events if I was serious about getting faster. He felt AutoX leads to fast hands - there may be something to that.

For 2013, I'll use AutoX mostly for test and tune because track time is so expensive. I plan to do at least 4 track events to focus on technique. Would love to see more folks out there with their 6. I see lots of 3's and a few 2's, but rarely any 6's. :)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've finally uploaded all of the onboard video I have from this event. Five 20-minutes sessions for your viewing pleasure (or if you're just looking to squander some time). Lots of passing. :D

There were eight sessions total over the two days, but the camera was not running for all of them or there were other technical difficulties. They are on my YouTube channel - link is below. Enjoy!

CR

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know it's a bit dated - but I was just enjoying your videos. I spent a long weekend down there a couple of years ago. Lost my car to a tank slapper in the climbing esses. Cold tires, cold driver, morning dew. Only hurt my pride.
But that same event saw a Vette roll a couple of times where you lost it in turn 10. Put a wheel off on the outside of the turn, spun back to the inside of the turn (outside of the track - just as you did) and caught an edge. Over he went. Driver was okay, car not so much...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts