Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to learn a new track last weekend - Carolina Motorsports Park.

Impressions:
Fun, lots of slow turns, tough on brakes.

I normally get about 5hrs of track time out of a set of brake pads at VIR - I got a little over 3hrs at CMP. VIR really has just one corner (T1) that has you braking from 110+ to 40mph. The rest of the track is not that hard on brakes. Although the speeds at CMP are lower, it seems you are constantly braking hard for low-speed turns - the brakes never get a rest. Also, I drove most of the track in 3rd gear (T1 thru T7 and T11 thru T14) - alot of the time at or near the redline. I burned 30 gallons of fuel in about 3hrs.

It was a very light crowd, you'll see from the video there were few cars on the track. This was good the first day as I learned the track, but it would have been more fun Sunday with more cars. The weekend was fairly uneventful, I had a near spin in T13 on Saturday and a full off-course excursion in T4 on Sunday. I think the only damaged car was a BMW M-Coupe that hit the tire wall coming out of T10.

I'm still editing video, but I'll share some that I have done so far.

I know everyone likes crash video so here is my T4 spin on Saturday:

Day 1, Session 2:

Day 2, Session 3 (with subtitles) :lol:

I'm really surprised how good the 6 is on the track - much better than I expected when I started the build. The best part of the weekend was people (mostly people I had passed on track) coming up to me in the pits on Sunday asking: "So, is that a Speed6?" or "So, what have you done to the engine?" or "How much does that thing weigh?" :p

It looks like we are done for the season. I'll be posting further improvements to the car in my Track Car Prep thread. In the meantime, get out there and race your 6!

CR

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
zoom-zoom!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
time to look for sponsors~! =)
That sure would be nice!

Since it was the last event of the season, I asked my long time buddy, VK, to drive my car for 10 laps and offer his impressions. VK has a couple thousand laps at this track, he has a car in the Lemons Series and is a senior instructor.

Here are his thoughts at the end of the session as we ride back thru the pit area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZRScQhEaQU

I couldn't agree more. Not so much at VIR, but at CMP, the car begs for a LSD. We were chasing an SVT Focus with a Torsen LSD driven by another instructor - It was amazing how much sooner the SVT got back on the gas. We did eventually pass him. :D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cant view video cause its stated as "private"(too good to show) =)

what brand of lsd were u thinking of getting?
Oops! Sorry, fixed it.

It seems like the one to have is the MFactory, but I'm open to input. :)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another CMP video for you - fastforward to lap 8 for a pretty nice save at 60mph. :eek:

THSCC CMP Oct13 S4 - YouTube

Can't wait to get back out there!
CR

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Boooo not available for mobile viewing!! I'm disappointed in you CR!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've finally uploaded all of the onboard video I have from this event. Five 20-minutes sessions for your viewing pleasure (or if you're just looking to squander some time). Not as much passing as VIR - not as many cars on the track. :D

They are on my YouTube channel - link is below. Enjoy!

CR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts