Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Mazda 6 TPMS Sensors are located INSIDE the tires.

Confirmed:

Corporate HQ
Manual
My tire shop - I had a wheel pulled and dismounted to verify.

I responded in another thread rather abruptly because I thought I had read it in the Manual. After being told I was wrong I back tracked....

Mazda changed it up for 2018. You might let your dealer know when you see them. Mine didn't.

·
Administrator
2021 Mazda6 Carbon Edition
8,644 Posts
Sigh...

Now I wonder how much companies will gouge us for them when buying winter tires/rims, and how much of a PITA it'll be to change/reset the TPMS when installing them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
Dang, that's a real pain. I'll add this to my 3rd gen 1 stop shop. Thanks for verifying!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sigh...

Now I wonder how much companies will gouge us for them when buying winter tires/rims, and how much of a PITA it'll be to change/reset the TPMS when installing them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
The manual tells you to have the Dealer do it of course but does also tell you how. If they are indeed compatible sensors then they are an easy DIY re learn.

Although not confirmed I believe the Gen II sensors will work. Buying new ones from the dealer are (ballpark) $70 ea.

Looking at aftermarket rims I've just had to add $200+ to the budget because sensors are now needed unless you want to swap them over which I don't plan to do. Might be changing plans...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Anyone know the hertz of the new TPMS sensors?

I ordered a set of wheels & tires off Tire Rack, and after hearing rumors about the TPMS for the 2018 6's, I gave them a call to have some installed prior to mounting and balancing. I spoke with a salesman there who told me the TPMS is part of the ABS and not the valve/stem, in the wheel. He said his info was from Mazda and he couldn't install it with the sensors in the wheel/tire.

I called back after I received my tires/wheel and removed my stock ones and Tire Rack said they would send me some, but they needed to know the hertz.

Even my buddy who works for a MAzda dealership is having trouble finding this info out. It seems secretive, and I'm wondering why.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
307 Posts

I ordered a set of wheels & tires off Tire Rack, and after hearing rumors about the TPMS for the 2018 6's, I gave them a call to have some installed prior to mounting and balancing. I spoke with a salesman there who told me the TPMS is part of the ABS and not the valve/stem, in the wheel. He said his info was from Mazda and he couldn't install it with the sensors in the wheel/tire.

I called back after I received my tires/wheel and removed my stock ones and Tire Rack said they would send me some, but they needed to know the hertz.

Even my buddy who works for a MAzda dealership is having trouble finding this info out. It seems secretive, and I'm wondering why.

Thanks for any help!
I would see what the 2017+ CX-5 uses because it should be the exact same as that. If you need to go back one more year the 2016 CX-9 would be the first redesigned model that I believe uses the new TPMS sensors instead of the ABS system. Tire Rack might be able to use that info to help you?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would see what the 2017+ CX-5 uses because it should be the exact same as that. If you need to go back one more year the 2016 CX-9 would be the first redesigned model that I believe uses the new TPMS sensors instead of the ABS system. Tire Rack might be able to use that info to help you?
Cool, I'll look into this and see what I can find. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Thanks for any help!
I picked mine up for my 2018 6 on the weekend. Right on the sensor it says the frequency is 315 MHz.

Reactions: idrive

·
Registered
52 Posts
I picked mine up for my 2018 6 on the weekend. Right on the sensor it says the frequency is 315 MHz.
Cool. Thank you for sharing. I'll pass it along to Tire Rack.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.