Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I'm perfectly ok with the indirect system but I am VERY unhappy with the GOVERNMENT that mandated it alarm on an event that has a near-zero probability and, if it DOES happen, you're very likely to know about it without any sort of nanny nonsense.

ALL FOUR tires having an inflation problem at the same time is so far into the realm of improbability that "monitoring" for and alarming on it is idiotic, unless the delta is truly extreme. But that's not how the spec is written BY THE GOVERNMENT. A modest differential between one wheel and the rest is ok to alarm on, but the only way the alarm should ring on ALL FOUR wheels is if the differential is truly extreme. 99.9% of the time if all four wheels are showing a similar change it's due to the temperature of the air in the tires changing as a consequence of environmental conditions and exactly NOTHING is wrong.

·
Super Moderator
16,838 Posts
I'm perfectly ok with the indirect system but I am VERY unhappy with the GOVERNMENT that mandated it alarm on an event that has a near-zero probability and, if it DOES happen, you're very likely to know about it without any sort of nanny nonsense.

ALL FOUR tires having an inflation problem at the same time is so far into the realm of improbability that "monitoring" for and alarming on it is idiotic, unless the delta is truly extreme. But that's not how the spec is written BY THE GOVERNMENT. A modest differential between one wheel and the rest is ok to alarm on, but the only way the alarm should ring on ALL FOUR wheels is if the differential is truly extreme. 99.9% of the time if all four wheels are showing a similar change it's due to the temperature of the air in the tires changing as a consequence of environmental conditions and exactly NOTHING is wrong.
What he said. A mandated alteration to an otherwise perfectly working system bothers me to no end. Air pressure changes drastically with temperature changes and it's not uncommon to see many places have swings of 20 or more degrees in a single day. Heck, it was 60 degrees yesterday and 12 this morning.

·
Registered
810 Posts

Some model year of the 3rd gen 6 got the sensors and some doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have one I want one, not until I've read these. I'm now happy that I just own a pressure gauge. However, having a TPMS is a good feature. I plan to get one, the direct type. The only thing that is holding me back is the size, I find it too big.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I like the indirect just fine, in general. It comes with no extra cost nor equipment; it works off the EXISTING ABS tone ring signals, so other than software there's no cost, nothing to maintain and nothing to replace.

It's the jackwad government-mandated "recall" aimed at Mazda to reprogram the system to work as the GOVERNMENT mandated that pizzes me off, and apparently, because it WAS a formal recall, the stealers were told NOT to release a car back to the customer without doing it if they had the vehicle come through their shop and they found it hadn't been performed.

I am traveling at present and just underwent the "big temperature change"; I fully expect that when I get in the car here in a few minutes it'll go off and claim there's a problem -- although there is not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah its 30F this morning here in GA and I fully expect that stupid chime to go off on the way to work. Worst part is I cant just disregard it because every time it goes off I have to assume there could be a problem. Truly infuriating...

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Exactly. You don't know until you get the tire gauge out and check, which is EXTREMELY annoying when it's -10F.

It was only 25F when I got in the car here and, surprisingly, this time DIDN'T go off. Color me shocked; I expected it to.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
5 to 7 years down the road because the battery is not serviceable.

Some model year of the 3rd gen 6 got the sensors and some doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you arent changing tires by then, theres something wrong. Its called a maintenance item.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I suppose the logic checks how quickly (due to temp drops) the tire diameter reduces and it then deduces that it is not due to wear, but rather, due to a temperature reduction. I guess it would still merit adding air. I would bet that it does NOT do this in the reverse direction, i.e. in springtime. Still, how would it know what the speed of the vehicle should be versus the engine RPM... unless it GPS tracked the car...???

I was wondering how Y'All with tone-ring-calculated TPMS systems (myself included, btw, with my Cdn 2017) were running into difficulties with the system. I guess this reinforces me NOT bringing the car to the dealer.

D Coulombe, you have a 2018 - so you have transmitters... but I am wondering if anyone with 2017 and older Gen 3's in Canada - have had their dealers "update" the system logic???

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
IF your car went into the stealer they updated it, at least in the US. Even if you told them not to. Recalls are like that, unfortunately.

And BTW it DOES work. Twice it has picked up the fact that I DID have have a problem -- nailed once, screwed once. Both repairable, and both times the TPMS went off before I could see any evidence of trouble visually. The gauge confirmed that indeed there was a difference, and on closer inspection the FOD was found and then repaired, so it certainly is sensitive enough to pick up a problem in plenty of time to take care of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It’s good to know it does work when there’s an actual issue, though with the system crying wolf so often it could desensitize you over time to these actual problem cases...

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can get a set of 4 for under $50, how is that an arm and a leg? Also i disagree that there arent sensors as mine first went off while i was sitting still after starting the car and hadnt moved yet.
Where do you get a set for under $50 ? Because in europe all four costs no less than 300.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
21 - 34 of 34 Posts