Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My g/f has a Scion tC so, while I wait for my G35 to arrive, she's driving my Mazda 6 and I'm driving her car. The Scion is awesome, it handles like my 6 only lighter, and it feels like its way more car than its sticker price. Of course I was curious about its top end so I tested it out. I hit 130 and was still accelerating when I ran out of straight away, that was even going up a slight hill. The RPMs were around 5900 and redline is around 6500 so I'm thinking top end is around 138 and that's only because of the redline.

On the net everything I've read said it is limited to 127 but her 2005 definitely does not have a limit. This is a bone stock tC, not even an intake or exhaust mod. If it were a 6 speed, and had a few mods, there's no telling what the top end would be. Its so light though, it'd need a functional spoiler just to keep it on the road.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Wish the mazda6 had the freedom of that speed.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
[/b]
It does, but it only comes in the a speed6 trim. 151 MPH is where the fuel is cut off. If not for that, people predict 165ish.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The Scion's are nice cars, and they've done well for themselves as a car company, in fact, so well that their future marketing plans are going to change considerably. I recently read an article on how they are going to scale back their marketing and minimize their production rates for the cars they manufacture mostly to make their cars more exclusive (of course this may be a horrible idea but its interesting how they're following a different path, you know, the road less traveled). I also believe they will be discontinuing the Xa and Xb models.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm really surprised you got a scion tc to 138. Afterall it's only a 160 hp car stock. Must've taken a while. For the price, it's not a bad car though. Athough, when supercharged, the msrp for the 2006 climbed to 26k which to me is a little high for not-so-good performance.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
tc's are nice, i test-drove it before i got the speed, felt quicker than my ole 6's.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
My friend bought one in black with automatic, a week before I got my 6. I got to drive his car recently when we went out. It drives nicely on the highway, pretty good handling and braking. Acceleration is better than I expected as well. Of course, I couldn't push it like I wanted because he was in the car with me lol :)

I don't fit in the car though. I'm too tall for it. :(

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Moderator "Mazda Gremlin" says that all posts containing descriptions of "excessive speed" should be locked so don't be surprised.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's typically for street racing posts or if you mention you were weaving in and out of traffic giving everyone around you a heart attack. This was in the middle of the night, with a 10 mile straight away with no intersecting roads. I drive it every day as part of my commute.

As far as taking awhile to reach the top end, it was extremely responsive all the way to the top, even at 130 the pedal was not floored, since I was running out of straight away. I'd estimate that it took a max of 3 miles going up the slight incline to go from 60 to 130. I didn't really push it until I had about 4 miles left to ensure there was no one around (not to mention cops). The only explanation I have is that its so light, and the gearing is pretty high. If the top gear were a little lower, it would probably take longer, but it would not hit the red line. I will admit, it did not feel stable at all at that speed. In that car I would not want to make any turns whatsoever after 100. Its just not heavy enough to stick to the road.

This is pretty good to me, considering I had an SHO that topped around 134 but after 120 it seemed to take another 5 miles to go an additional 14mph.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
[/b]
Unfortunately most people kill themselves with that freedom, speed limiters should be set at 100mph.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Unfortunately most people kill themselves with that freedom, speed limiters should be set at 100mph.
[/b]

I pity the fool that lives in the Northeast! (hey, dont flame me - I lived in Rochester, NY for 7 years)

There are numberous roads in the south, midwest and plains... virtually everyone goes damn fast. I go nearly 100mph everyday on the FL highways - and I'm not the only person, there are groups of people that do it all the times, like a convoy)

The crowded roads of the Northeast sucks.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Speed has more to do with gearing and curb weight than flat out horsepower.
It is possible for a 160hp car to hit 130mph.

In the end I think top speed is fun to talk about but how many people drive over 100mph? Not many.
How many people know how to safely drive at 70mph? Not many.

1 mistake in any passenger car at 100mph equals death on the roads.
I don't want to pee on peoples dreams because I drive fast too but top speeds are really for the track.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Speed has more to do with gearing and curb weight than flat out horsepower.
It is possible for a 160hp car to hit 130mph.

In the end I think top speed is fun to talk about but how many people drive over 100mph? Not many.
How many people know how to safely drive at 70mph? Not many.

1 mistake in any passenger car at 100mph equals death on the roads.
I don't want to pee on peoples dreams because I drive fast too but top speeds are really for the track.
[/b]
I have to agree. Germany requires that people get their license at 18, and that they have more additional training to get that license, therefore they can have the Autobahn. Besides, if an extra hour on the road is the difference between life or death than I'd gladly take that extra hour. Everything must be done in moderation.

Now at the track, where its all regulated and there are no outside influences, I'll gladly unload my speed6.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Weird, I've heard stories of tC owners having run into that 127 mph speed limiter and others who have surpassed it, oh well.

The 160 hp is actually a bit underrated, check out their dynos on their forums

·
Registered
93 Posts
so you thought the TC handled better than the 6? Most people the one thing they dislike about the TC is the handling. The 2AZ-FE is a pretty stout motor though with a good powerband. Our family has a Solara with the same motor.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so you thought the TC handled better than the 6? Most people the one thing they dislike about the TC is the handling. The 2AZ-FE is a pretty stout motor though with a good powerband. Our family has a Solara with the same motor.
[/b]
Definitely not, the 6 handles way better. The Scion is lighter and the handling is certainly great for an entry level car, but its lightweight works against it when it comes to handling. Maybe if it were a little wider it would feel more controlled.

I will say, so far its handling surpasses anything I've driven that was made in America.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Definitely not, the 6 handles way better. The Scion is lighter and the handling is certainly great for an entry level car, but its lightweight works against it when it comes to handling. Maybe if it were a little wider it would feel more controlled.

I will say, so far its handling surpasses anything I've driven that was made in America.
[/b]
American's have a car that's not designed for straight line travel only?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
American's have a car that's not designed for straight line travel only?
[/b]
I've heard rumors that one might exist, but I haven't seen it in the wild yet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts