Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Toyota MR2 has a opitionl 6 speed sequential AT. I think that is kind of neet. I know the Acura TL S-type has that. I Think it the 6 had this option this is what I would go with because I do a lot of stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'toyota MR2'

You are right about that man. The car is just to dam small and has now power. That is why I think other cars that are in like with the 6 shoud have that trans not that car.:)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Reading Topic: toyota MR2

But I believe the MR2's tranny is a true automanual. A manual tranny with a computer controlled clutch. Not a slushbox in disguise like the TL.

·
Registered
980 Posts

What does it mean by sequential automatic transmission? I have read about it in a few places but I dont really know what it means. At first I thought, it was an automatic with the option to shift manually...like the sportshift of the 6.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

As kenoka said, the main difference is in the slushbox itself.

If it says automatic, there is a torque converter.
If it's a true manual, there is not.

And that's what counts. More or less.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

In a true sequential automatic (aka automanual, Semi-manual gearbox, etc.) you have a manual gearbox that requires a clutch (just like in a manual car). The clutch is electronically controlled. When you press the buttons (or paddles) the clutch is activated and changes the gear for you. This system is derived from the ones used in high end racing events (read NOT NASCAR).

A sportshift automatic (aka tiptronic, manumatic, etc.) is an automatic transmission with a torque converter (aka torque robber) that has an electronic control that allows you to manually choose which gear is robbing you of torque at any given time.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Is the use of the torque converter to make the car drive smoother? Or is it to convert some of the power produced by the engine to change gears?

·
Registered
657 Posts

The MR2 has the electronic clutch, it's a toned down, Toyota developed system like the BMW M3 has. As you shift, the computer engages the clutch for you. Unfortunately, when I read the review on it, they praised the BMW version for having 6 different "feels", like sport, cruising, ect, while the toyota has one setting. Said it wasn't as fun as the BMW version, but it's also $30000 less for the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts