Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yahoo Toyota article (Reuters)

Its an interesting article on how Toyota has the highest retention rate when it comes to customers purchasing new cars. I like some Toyota's but I think they're doing something right.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Toyotas aren't all that interesting to people who consider themselves driving enthusiasts, but the fact that their cars reach a much more vast customer base and the fact that their quality is above-par really helps with that retention rate. In the US, bland = profit. Millions of people out there could hop into a Camry or a Corolla and enjoy it for what it is. It would be great to see Mazda surprisingly make a jump here, but, it, to me, is like one of those best-kept secret type of companies. I don't want to see a horde of Mazdas crowding public roads. These cars are unique. Just seeing a well-kept red '92 MX-6 on I-95 today made me smile. My sister used to have an automatic one and that thing kicked ass in performance, especially snow, until it finally died at over 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
People are ignorant sheep, particularly the average American car buyer. They will let Toyota perennially overcharge and underdeliver and they are dropping automotive LSD and tripping on the hallucination that their cars have a significantly superior level of quality that does not exist.

The other car companies need to do more to educate the public.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
So you think it's because Toyota has better marketing and people are sheep? Just seeking clarification.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I think it's word of mouth. When everyone thinks of the most reliable cars, they think Honda and Toyota. Everyone has always thought these cars were so bulletproof. I know ppl whose Corollas died at 60k miles, and whose Accords and Odysseys have blown trans after trans. All carmakers have their problems, Honda/Toyota just do a better job of pushing it under the carpet. In addition, ppl just assume the Toyota/Honda that breaks early was abused, not that it had any problems.

It's all in perception.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, I threw this up here for a reason, and yes, my theory proved correct, the haters have come out of the woodwork. LoL, you guys are funny.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I just read an article that Toyota will sell 1200 Camarys a day this year. That is insane, considering the car looks like a sack of doorknobs.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Toyota might have the highest retention rate, but quite often the Domestics, namely Ford, have higher conquest rates.

What that means is that when people actually give Ford a chance they actually like them.

Toyota has a high retention rate because so many consumers are completely and utterly blind to anything else. They simply won't consider any other option except a Toyota or maybe they'll slum it and buy a Honda. But when they do look outside their little box, many of them actually like what they see and do end up buying something else.

Ford's problem is that they've got a lot more people looking outside of their box. Even if they're less likely to like what they see, if there's a lot more looking you're still gonna be losing.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
The average American is a sheep. They believe blurbs and sound bites without critical questioning of so-called unbiased sources. The advertising is completely irrelevant to the hallucination. Toyota has deluded pushers left and right they don't even have to pay for. Unfortunately, like Sigma said, people won't even give other automakers a fair chance to earn their business... downright negligent behavior considering it's the second largest purchase most people make. You should be examining everything (I even drove a Malibu MAXX before buying my Mazda6).

Like the old Mazda tagline said, "the more you look the more you like."

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I test drove everything from the 6 to a Malibu and Impala, Toyota Highlander, Corolla, Camry, Cavalier, Cobalt, RSX, TSX, Accord, Civic... everything. I wanted to be sure I wasn't 'blinded' by the 6 and definitely wanted it. I am totally happy with my decision to purchase.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I think it's word of mouth. When everyone thinks of the most reliable cars, they think Honda and Toyota. Everyone has always thought these cars were so bulletproof. I know ppl whose Corollas died at 60k miles, and whose Accords and Odysseys have blown trans after trans. All carmakers have their problems, Honda/Toyota just do a better job of pushing it under the carpet. In addition, ppl just assume the Toyota/Honda that breaks early was abused, not that it had any problems.

It's all in perception.
[/b]

+1

Very very true. Honda and Toyota are good at hiding their issues. And the people that purchase these vehicles are generally quicker to come up with excuses for their shortfall.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Who didn't see this coming?
You don't get to be the number 2/1 auto maker in the world by not keeping customers.
What I don't understand is why people who love cars buy Toyotas.
After the death of the Supra, the MR2 and the MRS, Toyota has not had ANY cars that are what I would call a Drivers' car.

But in the end I think people who love sport driving are smaller breed.
People who look at cars as appliances look at Toyotas.

To hell with Honda altogether.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
People are ignorant sheep, particularly the average American car buyer. They will let Toyota perennially overcharge and underdeliver and they are dropping automotive LSD and tripping on the hallucination that their cars have a significantly superior level of quality that does not exist.

The other car companies need to do more to educate the public.
[/b]
I'm pretty sure I'm not dropping automotive LSD. The Camry really is the ultimate people-mover. I think it's the perfect car for those who do not enjoy driving, and I really can't understand why you hate it so. The Camry is a great car, especially if you get passed the styling. So is the Accord. It's way softer than I'd like, but so what? My wife would much prefer a soft, numb ride than road feel and sporty handling. I understand this. And ultimate grip (and therefore safety) isn't so different among any family sedan given similar tires.

What is more shocking to me is not Camry sales numbers, but automatic transmission sales. Why pay more for worse mileage, worse performance, and lower functionality? Now that can only be explained by "automotive LSD" or "ignorant sheep". I'd much prefer a manual Camry to an automatic Mazda6.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I don't see the Camry as any better at moving people than the vast majority of its class. The appliance characteristic is pretty much the same across the board. It's what a car delivers beyond that that indicates automotive excellence, and the Camry delivers nothing, despite a price tag that's one of the highest in class.

If you don't want more from a car, that's fine. Paying more for that same car because you believe a false illusion that you are getting more, that's ignorant and downright stupid. I agree that a manual transmission transforms the driving experience, though I can't say it's enough on its own to make it a better drive than an ATX Mazda6.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The average American is a sheep. They believe blurbs and sound bites without critical questioning of so-called unbiased sources. The advertising is completely irrelevant to the hallucination. Toyota has deluded pushers left and right they don't even have to pay for. Unfortunately, like Sigma said, people won't even give other automakers a fair chance to earn their business... downright negligent behavior considering it's the second largest purchase most people make. You should be examining everything (I even drove a Malibu MAXX before buying my Mazda6).

Like the old Mazda tagline said, "the more you look the more you like."
[/b]
you're funny. toyota is the second largest automaker in the WORLD.

according to your theory, the entire world must be sheep, tripping on lsd.

toyota makes good cars. they've got a great business model and understands what "kaizen" really means. they'll soon become the world's number 1 automaker with GM falling down the chain. i think you're the one making ignorant generalizations about a company you have no idea about.

sure, i understand, you've always had fords (i say this, knowing you come from ceg.org), why don't YOU venture out and test drive a toyota? your perception and outlook on life may change. you never know.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I do not know the relative pricing of Toyota vs. other marques in other markets around the world. If they price their mediocre product relative to its quality in those markets, it makes significant gains in value compared to here. They don't make a bad car, it's just priced as a great car here and only delivers mediocrity. People are paying extra for a belief in quality that does not statistically exist on a factual basis.

The company and the business model show in the cars that come out, or that model is not working effectively. I am very passionate about cars and believe strongly in automotive excellence. The Toyota product is an insult to anyone who seeks excellence and passion in their automobiles rather than an appliance. When so many people buy these appliances versus cars with greater excellence and passion, it creates a disincentive for other automakers to pursue excellent passionate automobiles.

I see the cars, drive the cars, and evaluate the cars. My position on Toyota is based on first person experience with their product.

My automotive history includes a Toyota as my first car (1985 Chevrolet Nova) and a 1994 Nissan Sentra prior to my SVT Contour.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not a big fan of most toyota's, but before I bought one I did quite a bit of research and concluded that for what I wanted it was going to probably last the longest with the least amout of trouble. I bought a Land Cruiser which is obviously not a performance enthusias'ts vehicle but quite a comfortable plush ride. And it will definitely hold its own off road (the performance it's built for) better than most comparable suv's. I actually like it because it's not attention grabbing like the escalade or Hummer H2 or even the big sister Lexus. Not sure if I would buy a new one or not (so far yes), but hopefully I won't have to think about that for another 10 years.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
you're funny. toyota is the second largest automaker in the WORLD.

according to your theory, the entire world must be sheep, tripping on lsd.[/b]
It's not like you've got to be #1 in every market in the world to be #1 overall.

GM is #1 in the world, despite having the vast majority of their operations within the United States, a relatively small presence in Europe, and very little in Asia.

The US makes up such a large portion of worldwide auto sales that just being #1 in the US will pretty much guarantee you the #1 spot in the world as long as your presence elsewhere is mediocre at best. So it's not like you've got to go out and brainwash 5 billion people to be #1, just as long as you can do it successfully within the US. Or dominate Japan and have a decent share of the US market too. Either way, it's one, maybe 2 markets you've got to cover, not "the entire world".

sure, i understand, you've always had fords (i say this, knowing you come from ceg.org), why don't YOU venture out and test drive a toyota? your perception and outlook on life may change. you never know.
[/b]
Um, to my knowledge, James has only owned one Ford. That's, *gasp*, the same exact number of Toyotas that he's owned.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts